Malaria 'completely stopped' by microbe - BBC News

StringJunky

This article is interesting for the very different tactic of protecting mosquitos from malaria in order to protect people.

Scientists have discovered a microbe that completely protects mosquitoes from being infected with malaria.

The team in Kenya and the UK say the finding has "enormous potential" to control the disease.

Malaria is spread by the bite of infected mosquitoes, so protecting them could in turn protect people.

The researchers are now investigating whether they can release infected mosquitoes into the wild, or use spores to suppress the disease.

Read more: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52530828

You beat me to it. I was going to post this under the title "Good things can come in small packages". :)

The annual death toll from malaria runs just under half a million. Great to see a potential solution. Some more information on malaria in general here. (It's from the WHO, so Trump supporters should look away now.)

• 1 month later...

I hope they've investigated all other potentialities of releasing these microbes.
Too many disaster and zombie movies start out just like that.

Does that mean D Trump can have all the Hydroxychloroquine he wants now ?

I didn't realise that many people still died yearly from Malaria, and it's still that serious in the 21st century.
( malaria translates to 'bad air' ? )

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.