Pruning fruit trees [gardening]

Externet

Hi all.

Have a couple of young fruit trees 2-3 metres tall which I have never pruned because it feels to me like the growth achieved in a year would be wasted as 'mutilation' loss,  plus unclear how much to prune on which branches.  The season I believe proper is winter.

Does same tecniques apply to different fruit trees ? Like if they are pear, peach, cherry, apple... Applies equally to all ?  What about grape vines ? Seen them being horrendously mutilated by supposedly experts.  How much is too much ?

Does pruning promote fruiting in young or old or both trees ?

Any light will be appreciated.

I'm definitely not an expert, but my ( previously my dad's ) lemon tree is over 20 years old.

Start by removing any dead branches; they should be easy to spot.
Also remove any branches that are growing down, in other weird directions, or off the trunk.
The next part depends on the kind of tree, and you should start pruning conservatively to see how it goes this year, and if you should be more aggressive next year. Branches that are still 'green' will continue to grow and keep other branches/fruit from sprouting, but if you cut them shorter, leaving a few 'buds', new growth will result from those 'buds' and allow the tree to fill out ( not just a few long branches ).
Most fruit trees/grape vines like to be pruned by March.
( grape vines usually leave only 4-6 'shoots', depending on supporting wires )

5 hours ago, Externet said:

Hi all.

Have a couple of young fruit trees 2-3 metres tall which I have never pruned because it feels to me like the growth achieved in a year would be wasted as 'mutilation' loss,  plus unclear how much to prune on which branches.  The season I believe proper is winter.

Does same tecniques apply to different fruit trees ? Like if they are pear, peach, cherry, apple... Applies equally to all ?  What about grape vines ? Seen them being horrendously mutilated by supposedly experts.  How much is too much ?

Does pruning promote fruiting in young or old or both trees ?

Any light will be appreciated.

I am clueless on this, but because of my wife's passion for gardening I have learned that the BBC program Gardeners World and their associated magazine is well regarded, so the following to links may be of use:

https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/pruning-fruit-trees-in-winter/

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-winter-prune-apple-trees/

The first link is a magazine article, the second a video.

Thanks, gentlemen.

Something I hate surfaced in links... "It is more an art than a science"  I was not expecting it with any decorative purpose at all. I thought there would be some defined rules to follow.🙁

Watching some videos,  emphasis is in shape and comfort to reach fruit, some about light and air flow.  But not much aimed to tree health and fruiting promoting.  And would strongly prefer a tutorial about this, from an experienced old fart than a young guy.

The "try and wait" sounds as a painful wait of a year to find out irreversible goofing.  Will keep investigating... and listening to members...

Pruning for productivity isn't an art. Each species has a different process and also for what your goals are. Try reading RHS articles like this. Bear in mind the season in the UK may be different , so adjust that for your area.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=90

I have this book which is good: https://www.amazon.co.uk/RHS-Pruning-Training-Revised-Plants/dp/024128290X

Edited by StringJunky

11 hours ago, Externet said:

The "try and wait" sounds as a painful wait of a year to find out irreversible goofing.  Will keep investigating... and listening to members...

No two trees are exactly alike, even if the same type.
And as you've never pruned these trees before, there's always going to be some element of 'trial and error'.
Or were you planning to start off as an expert ?

Its not rocket science.
Remove dead, or unwanted growth.
Encourage new, and aesthetic growth.

31 minutes ago, MigL said:

No two trees are exactly alike, even if the same type.
And as you've never pruned these trees before, there's always going to be some element of 'trial and error'.
Or were you planning to start off as an expert ?

Its not rocket science.
Remove dead, or unwanted growth.
Encourage new, and aesthetic growth.

Depends if aesthetic is the goal. One may also need to do it at the right time, in the right places, otherwise possibly no/reduced  produce next season

You can call it just 'aesthetics', but there are evolutionary reasons why trees grow 'round'.
From better resistance to weather forces,  sturdier shape to support a lot of branches, and the growth in circular or spherical pattern which minimizes expenditure of resources, a rounded 'aesthetic' form is healthier for the tree, and will most likely produce more fruit.

Although most trees are ornamental, unless you're a farmer.
I keep my lemon tree because it looks and smells great ( and sentimental reasons ), not for the lemons it produces; a bag of 20 lemons costs a couple of dollars, when I make Limoncello.
( although I've started putting lemon wedges in my Corona beer, rather than lime )