Sanitizing Mass Transit

Airbrush

Rather than people going through subway cars and busses disinfecting surfaces, have intake and output vents for each car.  You attach a vapor hose to the input vent and fill the car with pressurized disinfectant vapor.  After the virus is dead, open the output vents and remove the vapor from the car by blasting warm air thru the car, from intake to output vents.  Any complaints?

Edited by Airbrush

On 5/3/2020 at 11:44 AM, J.C.MacSwell said:

Is this taking place prior to occupancy?

Hahaha, very funny.  The "car cleaning" takes place between 1:00am and 5:00am when nobody is aboard.  Just hook up the disinfectant hose to the car or bus.  Pressurize with disinfectant until virus is dead.  Then evacuate the car with 2 hoses, blast warm air into the car, exhaust air exits from the opposite end of the car/bus.

On 5/3/2020 at 7:47 PM, Airbrush said:

Rather than people going through subway cars and busses disinfecting surfaces, have intake and output vents for each car.  You attach a vapor hose to the input vent and fill the car with pressurized disinfectant vapor.  After the virus is dead, open the output vents and remove the vapor from the car by blasting warm air thru the car, from intake to output vents.  Any complaints?

How toxic is this disinfectant vapour? How much will be condensed on surfaces and absorbed by fabrics? 

Why not just send some people through with cloths and soapy water (or disinfectant, if you insist) to wipe all the surfaces? Probably less wasteful and just as quick.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2020 at 8:31 AM, Strange said:

How toxic is this disinfectant vapour? How much will be condensed on surfaces and absorbed by fabrics?

Why not just send some people through with cloths and soapy water (or disinfectant, if you insist) to wipe all the surfaces? Probably less wasteful and just as quick.

The disinfectant vapor could be as harmless as Lysol.  Consideration should be given to any fabrics or porous surfaces in the mass transit vehicle.  Ideally, the car should be designed for sanitizing every night.  There should be no fabrics and no porous surfaces.

A crew of workers on the outside unscrew the 12" vent cover and attaching a 12" hose to pressurize each car or bus with some kind of gas Pinesol.  Like the amonia they mop the floor with late at night before closing at diners?  This gas will quickly permeate every tiny pore and crevice in a few minutes.  All surfaces will be sanitized.  After that they open an exhausting vent and replace the gas intake hose with a hot air intake hose to blast out all the disinfectant gas from the car.  This is all done in minutes per car.  This would be more effective and efficient than hand wiping.

Any indoor space can be disinfected by a gas each night.  Then the harmless gas is rapidly vented.

Edited by Airbrush

I'm surprised you want to go to all this trouble of sanitizing mass transit, dwellings and workplaces with A/C, etc.

Why not just provide everyone with a powered bubbler face-mask system, where the air you breathe is bubbled, under pressure, through a hydrogen peroxide solution.

But seriously, you are getting ridiculous with your wanting to sanitize everything we can possibly come in contact with. It is not the environment that is contaminated, it is us; we are the carriers and spreaders. As soon as one contaminated person touches something, that thing is contaminated again, and must be sanitized again.
The way out of this mess is not by sanitizing everything, but by acquiring immunity/resistance.
That is how adaptive organisms do it.

On 5/21/2020 at 1:33 PM, MigL said:

.....The way out of this mess is not by sanitizing everything, but by acquiring immunity/resistance.
That is how adaptive organisms do it.

Yes, all we need is "herd immunity" after 60% to 70% of people gets the virus.  But that requires many MILLIONS of deaths in the USA alone, to achieve that.  You may survive, but I may not.  BTW I am 65 and I jog 2.4 miles almost every morning in 24 to 27 minutes.  I adhere to a strict diet.  I haven't had a cold or flu in decades, and yet I am worried.  It is a miserable death to slowly suffocate.  Sure, let's just adapt! 

More attention should be given to people improving their immunity through healthy living habits.  Tax junk foods.  Subsidize healthy foods.  Food is medicine.  Immunity to viruses hinges on HOW we eat.

Edited by Airbrush