Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mundane

perfume and lotion

Recommended Posts

why does the fragrance of the perfume last longer if we spray it on the part of our body where we have applied non fragrant lotion or vaseline? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure it does, but if we assume this is true then almost certainly it's because the lotion or petroleum jelly do a better job of holding on to the volatile scent compounds and molecules than bare skin does. They evaporate off the bare skin more rapidly than the lotion or vaseline where they're more likely to remain "caught."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, iNow said:

I'm not sure it does, but if we assume this is true then almost certainly it's because the lotion or petroleum jelly do a better job of holding on to the volatile scent compounds and molecules than bare skin does. They evaporate off the bare skin more rapidly than the lotion or vaseline where they're more likely to remain "caught."

could you be more specific? like how do alcohol and oil work together? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure I can, no. I am curious why you'd focus on the alcohol as opposed to the olfactory compounds, though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iNow said:

I'm not sure it does, but if we assume this is true then almost certainly it's because the lotion or petroleum jelly do a better job of holding on to the volatile scent compounds and molecules than bare skin does. They evaporate off the bare skin more rapidly than the lotion or vaseline where they're more likely to remain "caught."

Yes, that's the same function as ambergris in expensive perfumes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mundane said:

could you be more specific? like how do alcohol and oil work together? 

Here's my theory: The components of a perfume that smell good might be mainly lipophilic (I think essential oil are used often, and those are lipophilic). If they are sitting on your skin, they are directly exposed to influences like warmth and oxygen, causing them to break down or evaporate quite fast. If they are applied onto a lipophilic base, they can diffuse into this base and probably also partially into the skins top layer (as this is lipophilic to)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2020 at 10:31 AM, Aconitin said:

Here's my theory: The components of a perfume that smell good might be mainly lipophilic (I think essential oil are used often, and those are lipophilic). If they are sitting on your skin, they are directly exposed to influences like warmth and oxygen, causing them to break down or evaporate quite fast. If they are applied onto a lipophilic base, they can diffuse into this base and probably also partially into the skins top layer (as this is lipophilic to)?

Yup, this is a sound hypothesis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think those perfumes don't really last long on our bodies but rather in our clothes... these clothes are holding them until they are washed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.