MathML test

studiot

finding acceptable double arrows for chemical equations

[math]Fe{\left( {OH} \right)_3} \Leftrightarrow F{e^{3 + }} + 3{\left( {OH} \right)^ - }[/math]

[math]Fe{\left( {OH} \right)_3} \leftrightarrow F{e^{3 + }} + 3{\left( {OH} \right)^ - }[/math]

[math]Fe{\left( {OH} \right)_3} \mathbin{\lower.3ex\hbox{$\buildrel\textstyle\rightarrow\over
{\smash{\leftarrow}\vphantom{_{\vbox to.5ex{\vss}}}}$}} F{e^{3 + }} + 3{\left( {OH} \right)^ - }[/math]

• 5 months later...

Testing some inline maths like \( d^{3n}xd^{3n}p\rho\left(x,p\right) \), \( y = x^2 \) or \( \varepsilon_{\alpha\beta\gamma}\varepsilon_{\alpha\mu\nu}=\delta_{\beta\mu}\delta_{\gamma\nu}-\delta_{\beta\nu}\delta_{\gamma\mu} \) should work.

Trying to post a Cayley table

[math]\begin{array}{*{20}{c}}
    +  & 0 & 1  \\
   0 & 0 & 1  \\
   1 & 1 & 1  \\
\end{array}[/math]

[math]\begin{array}
    +  & 0 & 1  \\
   0 & 0 & 1  \\
   1 & 1 & 1  \\
\end{array}[/math]

[math]\begin{array}{*{20}{c}} +  & 0 & 1  \\ 0 & 0 & 1  \\ 1 & 1 & 1  \\ \end{array}[/math]

• 2 years later...
Still haven't figured out the magic incantation.

<math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML"> <msup> <mi>d</mi> <mrow class="MJX-TeXAtom-ORD"> <mn>3</mn> <mi>n</mi> </mrow> </msup> <mi>x</mi> <msup> <mi>d</mi> <mrow class="MJX-TeXAtom-ORD"> <mn>3</mn> <mi>n</mi> </mrow> </msup> <mi>p</mi> <mi>&#x03C1;<!-- ρ --></mi> <mrow> <mo>(</mo> <mrow> <mi>x</mi> <mo>,</mo> <mi>p</mi> </mrow> <mo>)</mo> </mrow> </math>

[MATH]<math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML"> <msup> <mi>d</mi> <mrow class="MJX-TeXAtom-ORD"> <mn>3</mn> <mi>n</mi> </mrow> </msup> <mi>x</mi> <msup> <mi>d</mi> <mrow class="MJX-TeXAtom-ORD"> <mn>3</mn> <mi>n</mi> </mrow> </msup> <mi>p</mi> <mi>&#x03C1;<!-- ρ --></mi> <mrow> <mo>(</mo> <mrow> <mi>x</mi> <mo>,</mo> <mi>p</mi> </mrow> <mo>)</mo> </mrow> </math>[/MATH]

[MATH]<msup> <mi>d</mi> <mrow class="MJX-TeXAtom-ORD"> <mn>3</mn> <mi>n</mi> </mrow> </msup> <mi>x</mi> <msup> <mi>d</mi> <mrow class="MJX-TeXAtom-ORD"> <mn>3</mn> <mi>n</mi> </mrow> </msup> <mi>p</mi> <mi>&#x03C1;<!-- ρ --></mi> <mrow> <mo>(</mo> <mrow> <mi>x</mi> <mo>,</mo> <mi>p</mi> </mrow> <mo>)</mo> </mrow>[/MATH]

<math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
  <msup>
    <mi>d</mi>
    <mrow class="MJX-TeXAtom-ORD">
      <mn>3</mn>
      <mi>n</mi>
    </mrow>
  </msup>
  <mi>x</mi>
  <msup>
    <mi>d</mi>
      <mn>3</mn>
      <mi>n</mi>
    </mrow>
  </msup>
  <mi>p</mi>
  <mi>&#x03C1;<!-- ρ --></mi>
  <mrow>
    <mo>(</mo>
    <mrow>
      <mi>x</mi>
      <mo>,</mo>
      <mi>p</mi>
    </mrow>
    <mo>)</mo>
  </mrow>
</math>
<math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
  <msup>
    <mi>d</mi>
      <mn>3</mn>
      <mi>n</mi>
    </mrow>
  </msup>
  <mi>x</mi>
  <msup>
    <mi>d</mi>
      <mn>3</mn>
      <mi>n</mi>
    </mrow>
  </msup>
  <mi>p</mi>
  <mi>&#x03C1;<!-- ρ --></mi>
  <mrow>
    <mo>(</mo>
    <mrow>
      <mi>x</mi>
      <mo>,</mo>
      <mi>p</mi>
    </mrow>
    <mo>)</mo>
  </mrow>
</math>
Edited by Lorentz Jr

21 minutes ago, Lorentz Jr said:

I'm trying to display math using MathML.

d3nxd3npρ(x,p)

How did I do it?

I copied and pasted your mathML into online MathML editor, and noticed 3n are superscript, selected them in pressed x2 button in tool box.

For such simple formula as you used, it was enough without bothering about LaTeX..

14 minutes ago, Sensei said:

d3nxd3npρ(x,p)

How did I do it?

I copied and pasted your mathML into online MathML editor, and noticed 3n are superscript, selected them in pressed x2 button in tool box.

I already displayed the math in an online editor. I want to display the math in an SFN post.

<math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML"> <msup> <mi>d</mi> <mrow class="MJX-TeXAtom-ORD"> <mn>3</mn> <mi>n</mi> </mrow> </msup> <mi>x</mi> <msup> <mi>d</mi> <mrow class="MJX-TeXAtom-ORD"> <mn>3</mn> <mi>n</mi> </mrow> </msup> <mi>p</mi> <mi>&#x03C1;<!-- ρ --></mi> <mrow> <mo>(</mo> <mrow> <mi>x</mi> <mo>,</mo> <mi>p</mi> </mrow> <mo>)</mo> </mrow> </math>

3 minutes ago, Sensei said:

You can use only what is supported.

I was able to copy and paste the math that you posted, so MathML appears to be supported. I want to display it in my posts.

3 minutes ago, Lorentz Jr said:

I was able to copy and paste the math that you posted, so MathML appears to be supported.

No. What I posted was not MathML. I simulated MathML functionality using superscript button.

Web forum editors usually filter HTML tags, as this is a potential security vulnerability if the user can enter any tag.

Edited by Sensei

6 minutes ago, Sensei said:

No. What I posted was not MathML.

Okay. I was told that MathML is supported. Apparently someone needs to get their facts straight.

What math formats are supported? Anything else?

d3nxd3npρ(x,p)

Copied from your post and then pasted as rich text.

Edited by Lorentz Jr

12 minutes ago, Lorentz Jr said:

Okay. I was told that MathML is supported. Apparently someone needs to get their facts straight.

It is MathJax

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MathJax

After RMB on studiot or joigus math equation, you can pick up Show Math As > Math ML Code.

You start it by [ math ] tag and [ /math ] tag as the end (remove spaces).

Inside you use LaTeX.

Edited by Sensei

Just now, Lorentz Jr said:

What does RMB mean, and where is the Show Math As menu?

RMB = Right Mouse Button.

LMB = Left Mouse Button.

Click in studiot's first post, on the regular PC, on the chemical formula he used as an example.

You start it by [ math ] tag and [ /math ] tag as the end (remove spaces).

Inside you use LaTeX.

Still not working.

Okay, thanks. It doesn't display in the preview, but whatever. This is good enough.

[math] Fe{\left( {OH} \right)_3} \Leftrightarrow F{e^{3 + }} + 3{\left( {OH} \right)^ - } [/math]

EDIT: In the Show Math As menu, I selected TeX Commands. What's the purpose of selecting MathML Code? To use a MathML editor and then export to LaTeX?

This is what I was told earlier:

On 11/17/2022 at 4:41 PM, studiot said:

If by editing equations you actually mean writing them, this is the only website (since the demise of the old all-about-circuits) that offers direct super and subscript.

This is really useful.

You can also use Charmap.exe (Arial) to get greek and other alphabets and quite a few maths characters such as pi, square root and arrows.

The site also parses MATHML quite well

enclose your code in "[math} and [/math]" tags.

Edited by Lorentz Jr

16 hours ago, Lorentz Jr said:

Okay, thanks. It doesn't display in the preview, but whatever. This is good enough.

Since about 3 upgrades ago (thank you IT whizz kids) preview has been pretty clunky.

Most folks soon find out that if you leave the thread and then return to the post the missing presentation will be correctly displayed.

But no, preview itself often doesn't work.

How did you get on with my suggestions about Charmap and super/sub script ?

Edited by studiot

10 minutes ago, Lorentz Jr said:

It won't matter if I get banned for arguing with an established user.

I have no idea how to use Charmap, and sup/sub is trivial.

It's entirely your choice but I suggest you reflect on your method of discussion.

You can see from Dima's tally of negative points that he has had difficulties here.
I have had better success communicating since I found out he has to do everything both ways through a translator.
Communication thus requires a deal of patience on both sides.

But the end result of your spat with Mordred is that Dima seems to have abandoned his own thread.

As to this thread, I have been here 10 years now and  this is the first time anyone has ever called my efforts to help with post maths as trivial.

In my opinion the IT industry could easily have offered the facility to directly type maths in, but chose not to do so for reasons known only to itself.

So we are left with unwieldy workarounds for the situation, including learning yet another computer language or languages.

4 minutes ago, studiot said:

this is the first time anyone has ever called my efforts to help with post maths as trivial.

I didn't say anything about your efforts, studiot. I've used bbcode before, sup and sub are very easy. Thanks for helping, except I don't know why you said MathML works. Apparently only LaTeX does.

MathML works (actually can be made to work) very well for me here.

Not perfectly as there are some things not available in mathjax.

But I am perfectly happy to explain how I work it.

[math]\sqrt[{15}]{{5983249}}[/math]

math]\sqrt[{15}]{{5983249}}[/math

MathML does look very similar to LaTex, especially the simple stuff.

But the TEX for arrays, tables and more difficult stuff does not.

Incidentally there is newer form of MathMl, I'm now having to use on a maths forum I visit called inline mathml.
But it isn't recognised here

[imath]\sqrt[{15}]{{5983249}}[/imath]

Edited by studiot