Making of Sanitizer with Benzalkonium Chloride

Nguyen Thanh Ha

Hi everyone.
I've tried to make this solution with these chemicals. The two problems I've got are the dissolution of vitamin E (first, it dissolves in alcohol but when mixing in water phase, it gets separated again) and the adhesive of product solution when tested on the skin, it's quite uncomfortable until the skin gets dry.
Please give me some instructions or method (same as the content shown in the paragraph “method” in the image below) for preparing the sanitizing solution (for hand wipe).

Active Ingredient: Benzalkonium Chloride: 0,13%;
Inactive Ingredients:
  • Aqua;
  • Isopropyl Alcohol;
  • Glycerine;
  • Tocopherols;
  • Decyl Glucocide;
  • Fragrance;
  • Methyl paraben;
  • Propyl Paraben;
  • Phenoxy Ethannol.

Many thanks!

2.png

Edited by Nguyen Thanh Ha

If you have enough material, you could try in a small "sample" solving the Vitamin E in glycerine first, then add the emulsifier and add the water phase in small portions while stirring. This is just an idea from me personally, as Vitamin E is known to be lipid soluble. Keep me updated, whether you try it and if it works.

Edited by Aconitin

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2020 at 5:12 AM, Nguyen Thanh Ha said:
Hi everyone.
I've tried to make this solution with these chemicals. The two problems I've got are the dissolution of vitamin E (first, it dissolves in alcohol but when mixing in water phase, it gets separated again) and the adhesive of product solution when tested on the skin, it's quite uncomfortable until the skin gets dry.
Please give me some instructions or method (same as the content shown in the paragraph “method” in the image below) for preparing the sanitizing solution (for hand wipe).

Active Ingredient: Benzalkonium Chloride: 0,13%;
Inactive Ingredients:
  • Aqua;
  • Isopropyl Alcohol;
  • Glycerine;
  • Tocopherols;
  • Decyl Glucocide;
  • Fragrance;
  • Methyl paraben;
  • Propyl Paraben;
  • Phenoxy Ethannol.

Many thanks!

2.png

Get rid of Vit E. That is absolutely unnecessary as part of a sanitizer. It’s added in tiny amounts in commercial products for marketing purposes, but it really has no effect in a sanitizer.

If you really want to keep it:

Phase A

Water, Glycerine, Isopropyl Alcohol

Phase B

Decyl Glucoside, Tocopherols (mix very very well)

Phase C

Preservatives and Fragrance

NOTE: For alcohol to be effective you need to use over 60% by volume in your formulation. At this level you don’t need other preservatives.

Procedure: mix phase B into phase A until combined and homogenous. Then add preservatives and fragrance one by one and stir until combined before adding the next.

Edited by letsalcido

• 3 months later...
On 6/5/2020 at 6:29 AM, letsalcido said:

Get rid of Vit E. That is absolutely unnecessary as part of a sanitizer. It’s added in tiny amounts in commercial products for marketing purposes, but it really has no effect in a sanitizer.

If you really want to keep it:

Phase A

Water, Glycerine, Isopropyl Alcohol

Phase B

Decyl Glucoside, Tocopherols (mix very very well)

Phase C

Preservatives and Fragrance

NOTE: For alcohol to be effective you need to use over 60% by volume in your formulation. At this level you don’t need other preservatives.

Procedure: mix phase B into phase A until combined and homogenous. Then add preservatives and fragrance one by one and stir until combined before adding the next.

Thank you very much for guiding me.
I haven't but I will try the way you are suggested.
Good day!

On 4/29/2020 at 6:03 AM, Aconitin said:

If you have enough material, you could try in a small "sample" solving the Vitamin E in glycerine first, then add the emulsifier and add the water phase in small portions while stirring. This is just an idea from me personally, as Vitamin E is known to be lipid soluble. Keep me updated, whether you try it and if it works.

Many thanks to everyone. I'm sorry for get back to this discussion lately.

I have solved my problem of dissolving Vita E by adding some PEG-40 (a emulsifier). Good idea!
I did some tests and found that we can increase the amount of Vita E in the solution by increase the amount of emulsifier (of course) or the percentage of Alcohol. Decyl Glucoside have also the similar effect in the same way.

But, PEGs are now not to be recommended. Is there any other better emulsifier (or some thing else)?