Can Science Make us live longer?

coolscienceguy444

Hi Guys, can science make us live longer in the near future to maybe 100-150 years old somehow through an anti aging drug/age reversal drug or some other therapy/intervention that you can think of? Please don't discuss about Coronavirus here as it is not really relevant to the question

Edited by coolscienceguy444

3 minutes ago, coolscienceguy444 said:

Hi Guys, can science make us live longer in the near future to maybe 100-150 years old somehow through an anti aging drug/age reversal drug or some other therapy/intervention that you can think of?

Interesting you should post this the day the BBC publishes this graph suggesting the opposite in the UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52361519

deaths1.jpg.b6b355bb524ee2b89759e4ad9a499d76.jpg

• 6 months later...

Interesting article! In my opinion, science in itself can be a little dangerous too. After all, medicine now allows not only for surgical treatment, but also for genetic modifications. Where will this lead us in the future? At some point in time, will we be able to make children look the way we want them to look? Eye colour, skin colour, hair colour etc. - I think it could be dangerous because we could lose touch with nature… and then there is the question of what we should do with more and more older people. They have to get money from somewhere. Or do they want us to work even longer in our life? 😉

4 hours ago, kingdom said:

Interesting article! In my opinion, science in itself can be a little dangerous too. After all, medicine now allows not only for surgical treatment, but also for genetic modifications. Where will this lead us in the future?

That's why we include an ethical chicane to navigate.

On 4/21/2020 at 6:38 AM, coolscienceguy444 said:

Hi Guys, can science make us live longer in the near future to maybe 100-150 years old somehow through an anti aging drug/age reversal drug or some other therapy/intervention that you can think of? Please don't discuss about Coronavirus here as it is not really relevant to the question

It already has, so it probably will in the future. A significant number of people live past 100 already. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/21/2020 at 3:08 PM, coolscienceguy444 said:

Hi guy,

Have we created the human!??

Were we witnessed that how the human were created!??

Are we aware about the body of human completely!???

Therefore you should ask us:

Do you have any Knowledge that the science can make us live longer or not!

I have a series of sources/datas that say YES!

5 minutes ago, Yusef said:

I have a series of sources/datas that say YES!

!

Moderator Note

You really need to stop bringing these sources up outside of the Religion/Philosophy sections. They aren't scientific at all.

Isn't the real challenge keeping the mind functioning along with the body? Who wants to live past 100 if it's all retirement village and senility after 85? How advanced is the science when it comes to being spry and sharp-witted when you're 120? Of course science can make us live longer, but can it make those later years more worthwhile?

I'd settle for sound mind alone, really. Pull me around in a wagon if you have to, as long as I can think straight and tell the young folks all about it.

• 4 weeks later...

Allegedly, the human has already been born, who is supposed to live over 200 years - or something like that I read the other day. I can no longer remember the exact year - but now a question in the round: Do you really want to live so long? I mean, as long as I'm fit and healthy, I'm happy to live - but if I can no longer walk myself, I'm constantly dependent on help and someone constantly has to look after me, then I no longer see any point in life. What do you think?

4 minutes ago, kingdom said:

Allegedly, the human has already been born, who is supposed to live over 200 years - or something like that I read the other day. I can no longer remember the exact year - but now a question in the round: Do you really want to live so long? I mean, as long as I'm fit and healthy, I'm happy to live - but if I can no longer walk myself, I'm constantly dependent on help and someone constantly has to look after me, then I no longer see any point in life. What do you think?

I think that is hype. I still do not see a path toward 200 years (above 100 with higher frequency is more realistic). There is an implication that frailty will also be delayed and I think I have seen that there is some evidence that quality of life has been improving for most elderly as a whole and dependency is pushed back a bit (but not uniformly and not everywhere). 

It depends a lot on lifestyle, though.

The modern type of science defenetly not.
Ancient people lived about as long as we do, and a meager increase in life span is associated not with science, but with comfortable conditions
If science could do anything, we would have lived at least longer than a few thousand years ago, but even this is not. Scientific advances are truly zero

(or not for the common people)

I I think no.(because in fact,it seems that there is no meaningful correlation between these two conditions)

Also, CharonY 's reply is a bit supporting this , especially here in turkey if we were to comply the doctors ,I think,we would potentially die even earlier. 

Almost All of my family got catched to covid19 and sadly, my mother returned at the side of death but why?

I think because of the unqualified medical service. I do not mention the non existence of cure or vaccine for this new disease, but the doctors...

the most common thing here we see turkish doctors write drugs, commonly even random.

yes, without any examination it is really not an extraordinary to see turkish doctors write many drugs.

as result: There was nothing to do with tension ilness (i.e. no problem with blood pressure and etc all other details(i.e. blood illness)) but after the 15 days cure in hospital (she had slept) according to the doctor who examined her, my mother's illness changed to blood pressure. (because they did something we do not know and also after going out from the hospital, one drug was given for blood pressure (I can also write the drug's name: seneloc) 

anyway, I am sure that was nothing to do with my mother and blood pressure problem (i.e. disease). but the doctors thoght that she had had blood pressure problem.

my mother did not continue that drug and still she has no blood pressure problem.

but unfortunately I commonly observed this: whenever the doctor is not capable to give a response to the case, she/he writes / prescribes the drugs.

result 2: I do not believe the quality of modern science.

the case might be better at somewhere or in comparison to in the past (but not passing 1400 years before)

however, in far past,I think the better system might have existed. 

On 12/17/2020 at 8:32 PM, CharonY said:

It depends a lot on lifestyle, though.

do you agree that we would find us in a well ordered uncertainty if we were to do everything in compliance of existing doctors ' advices ?

because it is almost impossible.

in fact, I do not blame anyone , but the system is not good enough. 

UPDATE: 

sorry ,I missed some points. (I was also supposing we were in medical science forum)

yes ,I agree that science could make us live longer. why not? 

but the system is not sufficiently good really in the current status. Also one should take into account that science was not always being satisfied/obtained by education.

some useful keywords: intelligence, knowledge, science, education.

Edited by ahmet

The semiotics of modern medicine is curious. The serpent is an ancient Indo-European symbol of evil and lies, and the cup was earlier than something like a connection with heavenly gods through fire, fire was usually kindled in the cup (even Olympic), and probably this is where the  symbol of the holy grail comes from

In Russian, the word "doctor" etymologically comes from the root "lie" and in a literal grammatical interpretation would mean "liar":
"vrat"-"vrach"

So we can answer: Can Science Make us live shorter?

(and worse)

Yes. There are organizations and research that focus on reversing aging. For most of the types of the aging damage we are pretty close to find a way to reverse it and even with one single treatment like Partial Reprogramming.

There are many sites about this topic of longevity/rejuvenation like lifespan.io , you should also watch their page "the rejuvenation roadmap" https://www.lifespan.io/road-maps/the-rejuvenation-roadmap/ if you are interested in the subject.

On 10/25/2020 at 11:15 AM, kingdom said:

Interesting article! In my opinion, science in itself can be a little dangerous too. After all, medicine now allows not only for surgical treatment, but also for genetic modifications. Where will this lead us in the future? At some point in time, will we be able to make children look the way we want them to look? Eye colour, skin colour, hair colour etc. - I think it could be dangerous because we could lose touch with nature… and then there is the question of what we should do with more and more older people. They have to get money from somewhere. Or do they want us to work even longer in our life? 😉

Science isn't going to really extend our lifespan by making us old for more years, science will extend our lifespan by reversing aging and keeping us from ever being old in our lives.

It is a common misconception that science can only make us old for longer but in fact it is easier to reverse aging than keep somebody as an old person while he lives longer than the normal lifespan.

On 4/21/2020 at 6:38 AM, coolscienceguy444 said:

Hi Guys, can science make us live longer in the near future

I have died 3.5 times already (1st three before I was 7), except that in each case science saved me.  Sounds like a yes to the question.

My wife wasn't first saved by science until her 30's.  She's way more fit than I am.

On 10/25/2020 at 4:15 AM, kingdom said:

Eye colour, skin colour, hair colour etc. - I think it could be dangerous because we could lose touch with nature…

So if I decide my child should have black hair and brown eyes and above average height... we run the risk of him losing touch with nature? Can you explain please?

On 10/25/2020 at 4:15 AM, kingdom said:

and then there is the question of what we should do with more and more older people.

Well hell, using that argument maybe we should have an outside limit on age. Say, if you haven't already died by your 73rd birthday, we put you on an ice flow.

On 12/17/2020 at 11:17 AM, kingdom said:

I mean, as long as I'm fit and healthy, I'm happy to live - but if I can no longer walk myself, I'm constantly dependent on help and someone constantly has to look after me, then I no longer see any point in life.

So, if you are 20 years old and confined to a wheelchair, you'd rather be dead?

On 12/19/2020 at 4:30 PM, molbol2000 said:

The semiotics of modern medicine is curious. The serpent is an ancient Indo-European symbol of evil and lies, and the cup was earlier than something like a connection with heavenly gods through fire, fire was usually kindled in the cup (even Olympic), and probably this is where the  symbol of the holy grail comes from

In Russian, the word "doctor" etymologically comes from the root "lie" and in a literal grammatical interpretation would mean "liar":
"vrat"-"vrach"

(and worse)

Just remove a couple vertebrae and fuse the adjoining ones

On 12/19/2020 at 11:30 PM, molbol2000 said:

instead  this sentence, you should use this sentence, I think.

"generally making somethings worse is easier than making that things better"

:)

Edited by ahmet