Can someone who understands Infrasound explain it to me?

SidneyJones13

My neighbor's sound system is giving me terrible headaches and ear pressure. I can't actually hear the music but could hear the bass thumping through the shared wall. Once I complained to the HOA, she did something (not sure if she moved the sub or turned it down) so I no longer hear the bass but the headaches and ear pressure continues. I'd like to know how to best document and prove that her sound system is causing this. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sidney

29 minutes ago, SidneyJones13 said:

My neighbor's sound system is giving me terrible headaches and ear pressure. I can't actually hear the music but could hear the bass thumping through the shared wall. Once I complained to the HOA, she did something (not sure if she moved the sub or turned it down) so I no longer hear the bass but the headaches and ear pressure continues. I'd like to know how to best document and prove that her sound system is causing this. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sidney

It  might just be lingering stress, giving you psychosomatic symptoms, and will take a while to dissipate. Having a chronic neighbour issue can affect you to the extent  you become so highly sensitized to the nuisance that you feel you are still experiencing it for a while afterwards, even when it's actually gone....like a PTSD.  It could take a while. Look at it positively: she's complied.

Edited by StringJunky

Thank you. That's a really good point. She just complied  2 days ago so I will see how I feel in the next week or so. I never get headaches and the whole situation with ear pressure I've only felt when I'm on an airplane. The weird thing is I didn't wake up with either symptom yesterday or today (since her system is off overnight) but in the morning and as the day goes on, the symptoms get worse.  Thanks!

Yes, that's very recent. Hopefully, it's just stress and you can feel relaxed again soon. The thing to watch is that you don't become unrealistic in the future about the other normal neighbourly noises that we all do.... sometimes we are noisy!  :)

Edited by StringJunky

Yes, understood. I have lived in a town home before and agree that people can be noisy but this situation goes beyond normal noise. It's actually affecting my health and my head feels like I am on an airplane, feeling the pressure when you can't get your ears to pop plus it actually hurts my inner ear. Thanks!

Are you able to experiment with a quality noise canceling headphone device and see if it helps reduce or eliminate the headaches when this music is being played? I use them often when on a plane or working with motorized equipment etc and have found tremendous benefit. Just note the good ones tend to cost a bit more. 

7 hours ago, SidneyJones13 said:

Thanks,

Sidney

Firstly this has nothing to do with Earth Science, and you will get a wider response in a more popular section of this forum.

Take heart, I am glad to see your neighbour is the cooperative sort.

First question has she simply got the bass turned right up without knowing it?

Then, can you find out  where and how her speakers are mounted?

It is possible that the mounting is coupling to the fabric of the building either the walls or floors making the effect worse in your rooms.

Decoupling may be the answer.

If they are on the floor, standing them on a decoupling material (a section of rubber mat cut out of a cow mat is ideal and cheap) can do the trick.

If they are wall mounted then some antivibration blocks may be called for.

Hi, thank you for your reply. I thought this would be under Earth Science since Infrasound is sound waves traveling through the atmosphere at a level that humans cannot hear but instead feel. I would like to post this where it is appropriate, where I will receive wider responses. Do you have any recommendations?

Yes, she has turned down the bass (or moved the sub), I"m not sure. The thumping is gone so I don't know if they are mounted to the shared wall and would need to find out.

Thank you for your suggestions on how to make this situation better.