Create visible light from magnetic field or antenna

fredreload

12 hours ago, swansont said:

Why? Is that based on any physics?

Well it's based on speculation. When you got a powerful source of gamma ray, like from a nuclear fall out in mid air. The gamma rays ionizes the air, stripping it of its electrons and create plasma. Now a magnetic field is not EM wave, but a powerful magnetic field could have the same effect, but whether it would emit an EM wave based on impact is in question.

15 minutes ago, fredreload said:

Yes against a conductor, thanks for the correction.

Faraday's Law tells us that a changing magnetic field will induce an EMF/current in a conductor in move past.

I know of no corresponding law for the generation of photons, do you ?

The situation is quite different since the electrons already exist in the conductor, and are free enough to be given an arbitrary amount of energy from the magnetic field / motion interaction.
The is no specific quantum of generation requirement.

The production of photons would would be a quantum effect such that the transferred energy exactly matches that of the photon.

6 hours ago, fredreload said:

Well it's based on speculation.

“Speculation” is not a scientific field of study. What you mean us that it’s a WAG. You’re guessing, based on nothing but wishful thinking.

When you got a powerful source of gamma ray, like from a nuclear fall out in mid air. The gamma rays ionizes the air, stripping it of its electrons and create plasma. Now a magnetic field is not EM wave, but a powerful magnetic field could have the same effect, but whether it would emit an EM wave based on impact is in question.

So your “speculation” is that two different phenomena should behave the same. 

No, that’s not how it works. It’s not how the speculations forum works, either.

5 hours ago, fredreload said:

But magnetic field is an energy, that in itself should work.

It contains energy (energy being a property), but magnetic fields do no work (physics work). IOW, energy is not extracted from the field. You might know this if you had studied introductory physics 

57 minutes ago, studiot said:

Faraday's Law tells us that a changing magnetic field will induce an EMF/current in a conductor in move past.

Not a law, but the known ways of making a photon are

Atomic state (i.e. electron) transition
Nuclear state transition
Acceleration of a charged particle
Particle/antiparticle annihilation

1 hour ago, swansont said:

It contains energy (energy being a property), but magnetic fields do no work (physics work). IOW, energy is not extracted from the field. You might know this if you had studied introductory physics 

Yes the magnetic field exerts a force on the conductor. You grammer nazi caught me before I can edit my statement. A record breaking magnetic field strength is 1200 tesla, I wonder how much energy it could generate on a metal plate.

2 hours ago, studiot said:

The situation is quite different since the electrons already exist in the conductor, and are free enough to be given an arbitrary amount of energy from the magnetic field / motion interaction.
The is no specific quantum of generation requirement.

The production of photons would would be a quantum effect such that the transferred energy exactly matches that of the photon.

Ya, it does not need to be a photon, just energy, thanks for the work you put in Studiot.

Edited by fredreload

2 hours ago, swansont said:

Not a law, but the known ways of making a photon are

Atomic state (i.e. electron) transition
Nuclear state transition
Acceleration of a charged particle
Particle/antiparticle annihilation

My point is that all the above are fixed packets of energy.
A magnetic field is a distribution.

1 hour ago, fredreload said:

Ya, it does not need to be a photon, just energy, thanks for the work you put in Studiot.

OK but note that your picture includes the second agent, working with the magnetic field, I have taken pains to include.
I am a little puzzled by the picture of the hand. Current is allocated to what seems to be the thumb. The force or motion (mechanical agent) should be allocated to the thumb and I would say your picture is trying to offer the left hand rule.

1 hour ago, fredreload said:

Yes the magnetic field exerts a force on the conductor. You grammer nazi caught me before I can edit my statement.

There’s a six-hour gap between your post and my response

On 4/19/2020 at 8:53 AM, fredreload said:

So I want to create a device that would emit visible light as a source of electromagnetic radiation. I am thinking of having two electromagnets either attracting or opposing charges that given a strong enough current would generate a strong enough opposing or attracting magnetic field to generate a light source in between. Either that or an antenna that is amped up from radio wave to create visible light waves. Which is more plausible?

Put a plate with a gold border in the microwave and you will get what you wanted