Cold spot and parallel universe

I found this article kind of cool it talks about how the cold spot can actually be made from a dent with another universe. They do think the idea is far fetched though.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/could-cold-spot-in-the-sky-be-a-bruise-from-a-collision-with-a-parallel-universe/

anyone have thoughts on this, also I always thought they there were more than 1 cold spot in our observable universe would that mean multiple collisions?

Well, if there is indeed an observed cold spot originating from a collision with a different universe, then it stands to reason that quite many such collisions do occur, possibly even infinitely many of them. But as you say yourself, the idea is far fetched.

Edited by taeto

Just now, taeto said:

Well, if there is indeed an observed cold spot originating from a collision with a different universe, then it stands to reason that there quite many such collisions that occur, possibly even infinitely many of them. But as you say yourself, the idea is far fetched.

That’s what the article states. I think theta de talking about the supervoid though 

4 minutes ago, taeto said:

I think we simply have to wait and see what happens. We can of course be sure that it will not hit us during our lifetime.

See what happens with what?

also I was under the impression that the supervoid is not growing. Or am I wrong

concodering the supervoid is 3 billion light years away I hope not in our lifetimes 

Edited by Bmpbmp1975

1 minute ago, taeto said:

I mean what happens with the research to figure out whether it is a supervoid, or just a normal cold region of the universe.

Now from my understanding there are many voids in the universe the supervoid is just bigger than the other. Am I correct?

also it is not growing in size?

and there are galaxies in the supervoid just not many and they are more spaced apart?

The thing about the supervoid is that it is very cold. And very large. You can observe it from the southern hemisphere, and it takes up quite a substantial region of the sky as seen from there. It has not been observed to grow within our timeframe, but it is reasonable to assume that it has been growing since the time of the big bang.

There are normal galaxies present in the direction of the supervoid. 

Edited by taeto

The supervoid in itself is only hypothetical. But usually it refers to a unique very cold region determined by measuring the cosmic microwave background. It may be caused by not having a lot of galaxies present in a region of something like a diameter of 2 billion light years at a distance of about 3 billion light years from us, in our local time frame, and towards that particular direction. Or its detection can be caused by just local perturbance in the CMB itself called a cold spot. It seems not much to worry about. 

5 minutes ago, taeto said:

The supervoid in itself is only hypothetical. But usually it refers to a unique very cold region determined by measuring the cosmic microwave background. It may be caused by not having a lot of galaxies present in a region of something like a diameter of 2 billion light years at a distance of about 3 billion light years from us, in our local time frame, and towards that particular direction. Or its detection can be caused by just local perturbance in the CMB itself called a cold spot. It seems not much to worry about. 

Why worry about it if it’s 3 billion light years away? Is there a reason to worry?

I was just asking if this is the only one. 
also not sure what you mean by our local timeframe

Edited by Bmpbmp1975

I say "local timeframe", because what we can now see happening to them actually happened to them 3 billion years ago. The light did not arrive to us before now.

Whether it is the only one, that is an interesting question. There are other cool spots, but it seems there is only this one particular very cold spot.

What we might worry about is that a different universe collides with our universe at or around the spot of our location, if this is what happens. But seeing that this possibility is very  hypothetical, I suggest that there is not real reason to worry.

Edited by taeto

2 minutes ago, taeto said:

I say "local timeframe", because what we can now see happening to them actually happened to them 3 billion years ago. The light did not arrive to us before now.

Whether it is the only one, that is an interesting question. There are other cool spots, but it seems there is only this particular very cold spot.

What we might worry about is that a different universe collides with our universe at or around the spot of our location, if this is what happens. But seeing that this possibility is very  hypothetical, I suggest that there is not real reason to worry.

No they were claiming that that is what caused it not that it’s going to happen there. Unless I missed something. And at the distance on 3 billion light years away even if it did we would not be affected in our lifetimes.  Am I correct 

Is it just me, or is the word parallel all wrong in this context?

As far as I know it derives from the 'many worlds hypothesis', so what they must have meant is a multiverse, like in M-theory. Right?

But even if they did mean a multiverse, how could a neighbor universe make voids in ours?  Wouldn't its gravitational pull have the opposite effect?

Edited by QuantumT

4 minutes ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

No they were claiming that that is what caused it not that it’s going to happen there. Unless I missed something. And at the distance on 3 billion light years away even if it did we would not be affected in our lifetimes.  Am I correct 

That is getting into what QuantumT is saying.  If we suppose that other universes keep bumping into our own universe, then it is practically impossible to tell when they might bump into one another at any particular location, such as ours. All that one can say then is that it will seem unlikely to happen.

2 minutes ago, taeto said:

That is getting into what QuantumT is saying.  If we suppose that other universes keep bumping into our own universe, then it is practically impossible to tell when they might bump into one another at any particular location, such as ours. All that one can say then is that it will seem unlikely to happen.

Oh you don’t mean the void you mean where we are. Sorry misunderstood but there is no proof this ever happens and no reason to believe it could right?

27 minutes ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

There was a comment made by Dim to me that I want to reply to but it was moving to trash. Just curious as to why it was moved to trash?

is there a rule I don’t know of?

What you want to know matters, so his question was irrelevant... and bad manners.

2 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

What you want to know matters, so his question was irrelevant... and bad manners.

I notice a lot of his comment towards me have been similar. Did I offend him in anyway. I messaged and asked him if I did and pretty much got a réponse like I just asked? Were you the one that moved it?

Edited by Bmpbmp1975

4 minutes ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

I notice a lot of his comment towards me have been similar. Did I offend him in anyway. I messaged and asked him if I did and pretty much got a réponse like I just asked? Were you the one that moved it?

Only moderators can do that.

1 hour ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

There was a comment made by Dim to me that I want to reply to but it was moving to trash. Just curious as to why it was moved to trash?

is there a rule I don’t know of?

!

Moderator Note

Dimreeper has a habit of disrupting threads with irrelevant discussion. I didn't want this thread to get sidetracked.

Now look what has happened...

1 minute ago, Strange said:
!

Moderator Note

Dimreeper has a habit of disrupting threads with irrelevant discussion. I didn't want this thread to get sidetracked.

Now look what has happened...

Most of his past threads seem ok