Jump to content

contamination


gisburnuk
 Share

Recommended Posts

How dangerous is natural gas or methane gas when consumed?

In the past I have cooked foods which consumed have often possesed the unmistakable smell or taste of natural gas.

I find it difficult to understand how the natural gas can form over food since it doesn't become soluble easily, but nevertheless I have avoided using my gas hob due to this event.

What are the dangers linked with natural gas in circumstances of accidental oral consumption?

Can unburned methane gas as a gas vapour condense onto food?

 

Any reply over this issue will be appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The worst Gas can do is starve cells of oxygen if it is inhaled, it's not toxic any more than coal is. You can't 'smell' or 'taste' the natural gas, you can smell the additive that's put into it so it's not odourless. I doubt you can taste it either, that's probably psychosomatic.

 

You probabably pick up more harmfull chemicals from microwaving food in plastic containers, or eating processed food, than you do from the occasional whiff of gas. Mind you, there's no need to go all Howard Hughes over it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Natural gas is mainly composed of methane.

 

Mmmmm. It's also got propane, butane, ethane, carbon dioxide and nitrogen mixed in there. Tasty. If you ingested enough, the carbon dioxide might produce some ill effects (not before you suffered from the loss of oxygen tho).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.