The simplest virus genome

vtl-dch

Hello!
I created a topic in the main section, but it was closed. I probably did not create it where I needed to. Create here.
I'm interested in what is the simplest virus? So that its genome is as small as possible in size. Or, the simplest viroid?
I want to try to create a virus at home.

I don’t understand why you are losing my reputation. And what is evil in that I want to repeat everyday laboratory experience?

They also react negatively to Russian forums. I thought at least there are people here ..

Maybe it's because I don’t know English? Forgot to say, I use Google translator.

In labs, researchers typically only modify existing viruses.

The smallest viruses in terms of genome size are single-stranded DNA (ssDNA) viruses. Perhaps the most famous is the bacteriophage Phi-X174 with a genome size of 5386 nucleotides.[2] However, some ssDNA viruses can be even smaller. For example, Porcine circovirus type 1 has a genome of only 1759 nucleotides[3] and a capsid diameter of only 17 nm.[4] As a whole, the viral family geminiviridae is only about 30 nm in length. However, the two capsids making up the virus are fused; divided, the capsids would be 15 nm in length. Other environmentally characterized ssDNA viruses such as CRESS DNA viruses, among others, can have genomes that are considerably less than 2,000 nucleotides.[5][6]

The smallest RNA viruses in terms of genome size are small retroviruses such as rous sarcoma virus with genomes of 3.5 kilo base pairs (kb) and particle diameters of 80 nanometres (nm). The smallest double-stranded DNA viruses are the hepadnaviruses such as Hepatitis B, at 3.2 kb and 42 nm; parvoviruses have smaller capsids, at 18-26 nm, but larger genomes, at 5 kb. It is important to consider other self-replicating genetic elements, such as satelliviruses, viroids and ribozymes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallest_organisms#Viruses

This pandemic is understandably putting people on edge. Bad time to ask about how to make one yourself.

Should really look into taking some of the free courses out there or buying a synthetic genetics/molecular biology kit if this is of interest.

Link to a supplier as an example: https://amino.bio/

Edited by Endy0816

1 hour ago, vtl-dch said:

I want to try to create a virus at home.

[...]

They also react negatively to on Russian forums. I thought at least there are people here ..

No. They reacted accordingly. Only a bio-terrorist would like to make a virus at home..

If somebody asks here "how to make narcotics", or "how to make explosives" is banned almost instantly, as well..

!

Moderator Note

Asking how to create a virus, while undoubtedly beyond the capabilities of most folks, is runs afoul of or hazardous material/biohazard policies. Please do not open more threads on this topic.