Trump Connection to Hydroxychloroquine (split from Corona virus general questions mega thread)

iNow

I'd wager money Trump has a monetary interest (or a close "friend" with an interest) in increasing sales of hydroxychlorquine. His cheerleading to me screams of stock price manipulation.

22 minutes ago, iNow said:

I'd wager money Trump has a monetary interest (or a close "friend" with an interest) in increasing sales of hydroxychlorquine. His cheerleading to me screams of stock price manipulation.

Suggest you spare us your hateful bias.  

17 minutes ago, PhilGeis said:

Suggest you spare us your hateful bias.  

I don't see hate at all. I see a grownup and realistic assessment based solidly on historical facts. He refused to get out of business when he took office, it's a conflict of interest, and he's abused it repeatedly. Suggest you get your head out.

57 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

I don't see hate at all. I see a grownup and realistic assessment based solidly on historical facts. He refused to get out of business when he took office, it's a conflict of interest, and he's abused it repeatedly. Suggest you get your head out.

Realistic assessment or not it's just a guess with a lack of evidence. Why build a case against Trump with a house of cards, when there's plenty of bricks and mortar around?

Suggesting that Pres Trump profits from these the pharmaceutical is facebookian hateful bias.  Perhaps you should invest a tiny amount of time to consider the facts.  Chlroquine has been off patent for decades and its two primary large company suppliers - Teva and Bayer -_ are both publically-held companies.  Both have donated millions of doses.

Typical hateful bias. 

Suggest you folks stick to the ill-informed technical and policy discussions.

Another facebook-style childish comment.  Works for the ignorant. Perhaps you might offer a scenario by which anyone else profits from chlorquine.  Suggest you review ANDA submissions for this generic drug.

Edited by PhilGeis

Oh, I thought you were going in a different direction, JC.
I thought you were going to mention the Democrats who are buying/selling stock, with  arguably insider information, in an attempt to gain from the country's suffering.

I guess they are, after all, politicians.

2 minutes ago, PhilGeis said:

Perhaps you might offer a scenario by which anyone else profits from chlorquine.

You are aware that pharmaceutical companies can set the price on drugs, yeah? You know they could hike that price when demand surges, right? They haven't (in fact, they've cut the price), but you asked for a mechanism of profit and that's a pretty easy answer to share.

I'm not saying this is happening. I'm not saying I have evidence. I'm not even saying I dislike Trump. Yet here you are acting like I just called your wife ugly or your child stupid. Stop being a snowflake.

It was a passing comment... It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Trump had a financial motivation for mentioning this drug over and over then over again some more from his megaphone bully pulpit all while the medical experts surrounding him keep saying it's not helpful.

If you disagree, super. It was a random comment.

18 minutes ago, PhilGeis said:

Suggesting that Pres Trump profits from these the pharmaceutical is facebookian hateful bias.  Perhaps you should invest a tiny amount of time to consider the facts.  Chlroquine has been off patent for decades and its two primary large company suppliers - Teva and Bayer -_ are both publically-held companies.  Both have donated millions of doses.

+1 for this part.

I hope we can all agree to hope that it, or something better, proves helpful. Even if Trump takes the credit. (he's been known to do that...for anyone who might not have noticed)

10 minutes ago, CharonY said:

Folks, can I ask everyone to stay on topic and/or open a new thread elsewhere to discuss this?

+1 on that also. This is too good a thread to get OT.

Edited by J.C.MacSwell

20 minutes ago, CharonY said:

There are also concerns that pitching hydrocholorquine as an unproven drug can (and starts) to cause shortages for their intended use. 

And kill people:

An Arizona man is dead and his wife was hospitalized after the couple ingested a form of chloroquine, a chemical that has been hailed recently by President Trump as a possible "game changer" in the fight against the novel coronavirus, according to the Phoenix hospital that treated the couple.

Banner Health hospital said in a statement that "the couple, both in their 60s, ingested chloroquine phosphate, an additive commonly used at aquariums to clean fish tanks." The aquarium additive the couple ingested is not the same as the medication that has been used to treat malaria.

"Within thirty minutes of ingestion, the couple experienced immediate effects requiring admittance," the statement continued.

The hospital said that the man died of cardiac arrest and the woman was admitted in critical condition. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/24/820512107/man-dies-woman-hospitalized-after-taking-form-of-chloroquine-to-prevent-covid-19?t=1586214221932

20 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

This is why sensible people always qualify any advice, if the feel they must give any, with "talk to your Doctor".

You never know who in your audience may take it upon themselves to ingest lethal doses of fish tank cleaner.

Someone should tell Trump:

"What do you have to lose? Take it," Trump said of the drug. "I really think they should take it. But it's their choice. And it's their doctor's choice or the doctors in the hospital. But hydroxychloroquine. Try it, if you'd like."

https://twitter.com/i/status/1246556219311079425

29 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

This is why sensible people always qualify any advice, if the feel they must give any, with "talk to your Doctor".

You never know who in your audience may take it upon themselves to ingest lethal doses of fish tank cleaner.

There is actually also the issue that some practitioners have taken to prescribe it as a prophylaxis agent, without any proven benefit.

The broader issue here is probably that especially in times of crisis folks would normally (and perhaps rightfully) assume that the information provided by the government is based on the current best available information and is part of the (inter)national strategy to address the issue. But the current US administration is not stepping back and let the health professionals provide the info (contrast that with the briefings in Canada for a start difference) but rather provides contradicting information. As such it is no unsurprising that folks take it to themselves to do things, unfortunately. 

President Donald Trump reportedly owns a stake in a company that produces hydroxychloroquine, the anti-malaria drug he has repeatedly touted as a coronavirus treatment even though his experts say there’s no strong evidence it works. 

Trump “has a small personal financial interest” in Sanofi, the French drugmaker that makes Plaquenil, the brand-name version of hydroxychloroquine, The New York Times reported Monday.

In addition, Sanofi’s largest shareholders include a mutual fund company run by major Republican donor Ken Fisher, the paper said. Trump’s three family trusts, as of last year, each had investments in a mutual fund whose largest holding was Sanofi, according to the Times. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross also had ties to the drugmaker, the Times reported.

Trump’s “assertiveness” in promoting the drug contrary to the recommendation of top health experts “has raised questions about his motives,” the Times noted.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/donald-trump-stake-company-hydroxychloroquine-112913777.html

As we now see this potential issue being reported in the media, it seemed worth bringing back into the conversation. 

Edited by zapatos

It looks like any investment here is minuscule. Not likely related to his promotion of it.  He may, however, have contacts with far larger stakes. Who knows. Who cares. Anyone taking medical advise from this huckster of a prez kinda deserves the Darwin Award.