Hijack split from: Non-human pandemics

13mh13

3 hours ago, iNow said:

Not primates, though... and that was YOUR OWN criteria from the OP:

Sorry ... no. READ THE OP. But I fully  understand your typical last-word SMARTY PANTS mentality, which is TYPICAL of science and skeptic forums.

But I gave you a an UPVOTE anyway b/c of your BBC link. Now where is my DOWNVOTE?

5 hours ago, studiot said:

Most viruses are marine ? please explain further?

Four reasons:

(1) More surface area of Earth is H2O than air. And most lifeforms are in that environment. DUH!!!!!!!!!!

(2) Viruses don't survive long in air, esp. under sunlight. DUH!!!!!!!!!!!

(3) bacteriophages, bacteriophages, bacteriophages!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_bacteriophage

"Viruses have an estimated abundance of 10^30 in the ocean, or between 1 and 100,000x10^6 per millilitre."

(4) Because I said so.

Edited by 13mh13

32 minutes ago, 13mh13 said:

(4) Because I said so.

This response alone would be enough to put you on most people's ignore list.

But thank you for your response (2) which told me something I didn't know.

Butthe Wiki article did not explicitly state there are more viruses in the ocean than not, just that there are a lot of them in the ocean.

Marine viruses, although microscopic and essentially unnoticed by scientists until recently, are the most abundant and diverse biological entities in the ocean.

Since many human viruses are carried in the bloodstream, I am not suprised to find there are viruses in the ocean.

Have a nice day.

:)

Edited by studiot

22 hours ago, Strange said:
!

Moderator Note

1. This is a science forum, so that is never a valid argument.

2. Turn down the attitude or you will be taking another break. 

1. Oh, ok.

2. Do as necessary per your authoratorship (= job description) requires. 

3. Realize Newton's 3rd applies 

So, e.g., there may be a gazillion Reddit trolls with a gazillion IP addresses and a gazillion SF account, hungry for a little action. Everyone's home these days ... bored to tears ... just give us a 'cuse.

BTW: I HTML-capture and screen-capture every scienceforum thread I post in, because of the Mods' massive censorship and deletions. And those captures are ... ahem ... already posted elsewheres in the Interweb, permanently embarrassing this forum, ad infinitum. Again, you've gotta have respect for Issac and classical mechanics.

All that said, and while I've got the floor, lemme just add these topical links to the topic of the OP:

https://mbio.asm.org/content/4/5/e00598-13

http://www.virology.ws/2013/09/06/how-many-viruses-on-earth/

21 minutes ago, 13mh13 said:

BTW: I HTML-capture and screen-capture every scienceforum thread I post in, because of the Mods' massive censorship and deletions.

!

Moderator Note

BTW, you should look up what those words mean. You've never been "censored" here, and staff doesn't "delete" anything. 

We throw posts in the Trash, or we hide duplications, but we don't delete. What you've written is all still visible. 

BTW, the site has been around long enough to recognize when someone can't support their arguments, and falls back on ad hominem and attacking those offering reasoned refutations, or the staff enforcing the rules. It's a pretty transparent tactic.

First neg rep I've given in a looong time.
Really ? Threats now ? How old are you ? If you don't like it here, the door is that way...

If anyone needs to be embarrassed by their behavior, I can assure you it's not the Mods.

1 hour ago, Phi for All said:
!

Moderator Note

BTW, you should look up what those words mean. You've never been "censored" here, and staff doesn't "delete" anything. 

We throw posts in the Trash, or we hide duplications, but we don't delete. What you've written is all still visible. 

BTW, the site has been around long enough to recognize when someone can't support their arguments, and falls back on ad hominem and attacking those offering reasoned refutations, or the staff enforcing the rules. It's a pretty transparent tactic.

Never been "censored" surely you jest, sir. Have a look at my Profile About Me. Specifically the "Suspended" screen capture.

"BTW, the site has been around long enough to recognize when someone can't support their arguments, and falls back on ad hominem and attacking those offering reasoned refutations, or the staff enforcing the rules. It's a pretty transparent tactic."

Well, if you think the TACTICAL troll cares about any of that, the PUBLIC HUMILIATION is YOURS, toots.

1 hour ago, 13mh13 said:

1. Oh, ok.

2. Do as necessary per your authoratorship (= job description) requires. 

3. Realize Newton's 3rd applies 

So, e.g., there may be a gazillion Reddit trolls with a gazillion IP addresses and a gazillion SF account, hungry for a little action. Everyone's home these days ... bored to tears ... just give us a 'cuse.

BTW: I HTML-capture and screen-capture every scienceforum thread I post in, because of the Mods' massive censorship and deletions. And those captures are ... ahem ... already posted elsewheres in the Interweb, permanently embarrassing this forum, ad infinitum. Again, you've gotta have respect for Issac and classical mechanics.

!

Moderator Note

Have a month off.

You can use that time to find a forum where your immature posturing is appreciated.

15 minutes ago, 13mh13 said:

Never been "censored" surely you jest, sir.

!

Moderator Note

You could look up the word "censor" in the dictionary, while you are at it.