What are the things that characterized intelligence?

Zhu

1 hour ago, Zhu said:

how we can determinate if somebody is stupid or smart? 

In my experience, smart and stupid describe behavior, not individuals (of any species). I don't think you can say a person is smart about everything, or stupid about everything. I might think of myself as a generally smart person, but I know I have the capacity to do some very stupid things nonetheless.

Determining some working parameters for general smartness or stupidity seems pointless and subjective. It's much easier to judge behavior. "You're not a stupid person, but you do some stupid things." Now you have to determine what's stupid and what's smart, and you have to consider context. 

49 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

I might think of myself as a generally smart person, but I know I have the capacity to do some very stupid things nonetheless.

I agree (about the first part of the sentence, the second claim I've yet no evidence of). And I may add that I have met a few individuals that I might generally consider "stupid" that nonetheless have from time to time done something rather smart. There are great examples on this forum. People that probably are intelligent or "smart" in some other context fail to follow the forum rules, resulting in miserable content and closed threads.That could maybe labeled as "stupid". Even in a well-defined context an observed behaviour may be labeled stupid or smart, depending on the observer and what the observer knows.

(Maybe this post as well shows that Phi is correct. It may be considered stupid behaviour to have a few nice craft beers and then try to post something in the philosophy section ...)

2 hours ago, Phi for All said:

In my experience, smart and stupid describe behavior, not individuals (of any species). I don't think you can say a person is smart about everything, or stupid about everything. I might think of myself as a generally smart person, but I know I have the capacity to do some very stupid things nonetheless.

Determining some working parameters for general smartness or stupidity seems pointless and subjective. It's much easier to judge behavior. "You're not a stupid person, but you do some stupid things." Now you have to determine what's stupid and what's smart, and you have to consider context. 

That's a really interesting point of view. It leads to an approach that is much less harsh than the one our society is inclined to adopt nowadays, not for sociological purposes, but for individual ones.

On the one hand, there's a tendency of classifying people as static, crystallized entities, taking their innate capacities in account. IQ is a perfect example. It's often thought as an immutable trait, which will determine the job that one will engage in. I've even found theories of pure correlation between IQ and quality of coding/programming. But that perspective, in my opinion, doesn't make one progress so much.

On the other hand, we can consider a frame of reference that accepts that, despite the importance of congenital aptitudes, hard-work and ambition highly increases performance, and to a higher degree than inherit aspects. Thus, the possibility of evolution exists, generating a more driven individual, rather than a pessimistic one that accepts and lays on it's limitations

16 minutes ago, Manel said:

On the one hand, there's a tendency of classifying people as static, crystallized entities, taking their innate capacities in account. IQ is a perfect example. It's often thought as an immutable trait, which will determine the job that one will engage in.

Once upon a time scientists made experiment. They took group of university students and measured their IQ. Split them to half. One group was sent to holidays with a lot of entertainment. The other group remained and learned like usual. After week or two, both groups rejoined and IQ tests was performed once again. Group that was on holidays had 15-20% or so worser results that group that remained. Couple weeks later, IQ tests were performed again. Group that was on holidays returned to their typical average results.

So, no, IQ is not static. It depends on many factors, starting from such obviousness as amount of sleep, healthy balanced diet, age and health of human organism.

Performing IQ test in the wrong moment of somebody life, might give incorrect deceitful result.

ps. There is needed healthy balance between intellectual activity, entertainment, balanced diet, balanced lifestyle. If somebody concentrate just of career, it can result in mental breakdown, or occupational burnout.

23 minutes ago, Sensei said:

Once upon a time scientists made experiment. They took group of university students and measured their IQ. Split them to half. One group was sent to holidays with a lot of entertainment. The other group remained and learned like usual. After week or two, both groups rejoined and IQ tests was performed once again. Group that was on holidays had 15-20% or so worser results that group that remained. Couple weeks later, IQ tests were performed again. Group that was on holidays returned to their typical average results.

So, no, IQ is not static. It depends on many factors, starting from such obviousness as amount of sleep, healthy balanced diet, age and health of human organism.

Performing IQ test in the wrong moment of somebody life, might give incorrect deceitful result.

ps. There is needed healthy balance between intellectual activity, entertainment, balanced diet, balanced lifestyle. If somebody concentrate just of career, it can result in mental breakdown, or occupational burnout.

Do you have the reference to that experiment? I couldn't agree more on what you said. When feeling depressed or rusty, one KNOWS that their level of mental performance is substantially lower than when well put together.

In addition, I'd like you to check the point of view that the well-known clinical psycologist Jordan B Peterson has on staticity of IQ. Google it and you'll find it so quickly. Please tell me your opinion on it.

Edited by Manel