Split from How does gravity work?

Swansont you keep asking for evidence or mathematics to prove whatever is discussed. Is this not a discussion forum? Where ideas are hashed in many cases just based on logic? And where we can argue theories based solely on one's perception? Instead of cutting someone short and frustrating him/her off the forum, how about being a little more involving. 

Edited by Captainzen

3 minutes ago, Captainzen said:

Is this not a discussion forum? Where ideas are hashed in many cases just based on logic? And where we can argue theories based solely on one's perception? 

No.

Did you not read the rules when you joined?

!

Moderator Note

Moved to a more appropriate forum. Please do not hijack threads with off-topic comments

7 minutes ago, Captainzen said:

Swansont you keep asking for evidence or mathematics to prove whatever is discussed. Is this not a discussion forum? Where ideas are hashed in many cases just based on logic?

No, the discussion was physics, where you hash out models (meaning there is math) and compare them to the real world via experiment.

7 minutes ago, Captainzen said:

And where we can argue theories based solely on one's perception? Instead of cutting someone short and frustrating him/her off the forum, how about being a little more involving. 

Science is objective, so it's not based on your perception. If one wants to propose some new model of how things work, they have the responsibility to have acquired the tools to do so. If they don't have them, they should be asking questions about science (and possibly math), rather than presuming to announce that they have answers.

29 minutes ago, Captainzen said:

Where ideas are hashed in many cases just based on logic?

You use the word "logic", but what you're talking about is more like "reasoned thinking". Unfortunately, many folks use logic as "this makes sense to me".

Actual logic is used in maths and philosophy, where it has specific rules. 

35 minutes ago, Captainzen said:

And where we can argue theories based solely on one's perception?

Not on a science forum, certainly. Part of the successful methodology is removing as much personal perception from your observations as possible.

It sounds like you want a sort of wild west guesswork festival, with everyone tossing in their pet theories, and no rigor. There are tons of sites for stuff like that. This just isn't one of them. We like to keep our feet on the ground around here. It's not for everyone, and if it's not for you, that's OK.

Touch base with us every once in a while, just to keep it real.

1 hour ago, Captainzen said:

And where we can argue theories based solely on one's perception?

So you would be willing to discuss whether the moon was made of cheese, without evidence, and based solely on perception ?
I think you're in the wrong forum !

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2020 at 8:56 PM, MigL said:

So you would be willing to discuss whether the moon was made of cheese, without evidence, and based solely on perception ?
I think you're in the wrong forum !

Go ahead. Ridicule. Seems that is the most common answer. 

On 3/30/2020 at 7:17 PM, Strange said:

No.

Did you not read the rules when you joined?

!

Moderator Note

Moved to a more appropriate forum. Please do not hijack threads with off-topic comments

No I did not. I was looking for a science forum. Sorry, I don't know what this is. You can take  me out. 

19 minutes ago, Captainzen said:

You made a ridiculous argument. It seems reasonable to ridicule it.

20 minutes ago, Captainzen said:

No I did not. I was looking for a science forum. Sorry, I don't know what this is. You can take  me out.

It is a science forum. That is why it has rules about discussions being supported by evidence, for example. 

2 hours ago, Captainzen said:

It's a legitimate criticism.

2 hours ago, Captainzen said:

It's not clear you understand what science is — you haven't posted much that would indicate that you do — so this is hardly valid.