Physically store electrons?

DARK0717

is there a way to physically store electrons with our current technology? I dont mean using chemicals that have charge in them like batteries, i mean extracting electrons and storing them in a storage, and ofc when the storage is opened, it just shoots out or flow through (if wire is connected), which i imagine would happen

Yes. There are a number of charged particle storage techniques, be it electrons, protons or ions. Multipole traps, penning traps. Accelerators have storage rings. The capacity is limited, because of electrostatic repulsion.

or you could use a capacitor.

How limited is it or how much electrons can be stored?

Is there a different way without using power to store particles? something like putting water in a jar and covering it, that sort of storage

Edited by DARK0717

How many electrons did you want to store ?

One mole of Hydrogen, about 2 gm, has approx. 6*10^23 atoms. of H2
IOW about 1.2*10^24 electrons.
All neatly stored, using no power.

To release them just supply the ionization energy.

Edited by MigL

On 3/27/2020 at 4:17 AM, MigL said:

How many electrons did you want to store ?

One mole of Hydrogen, about 2 gm, has approx. 6*10^23 atoms. of H2
IOW about 1.2*10^24 electrons.
All neatly stored, using no power.

To release them just supply the ionization energy.

im thinking like, removing electrons from an atom then storing those electrons, like i said, in a jar or smth

im imagining something like, a jar with an empty space (a vacuum), and just pour electrons in it, close the lid, even better, an electron pump and pump it as if its gas  like gas or smth, is that possible, if u get the analogy

Edited by DARK0717

4 hours ago, DARK0717 said:

im thinking like, removing electrons from an atom then storing those electrons, like i said, in a jar or smth

im imagining something like, a jar with an empty space (a vacuum), and just pour electrons in it, close the lid, even better, an electron pump and pump it as if its gas  like gas or smth, is that possible, if u get the analogy

Do the calculation of how much energy it would take to do this.

4 hours ago, swansont said:

Do the calculation of how much energy it would take to do this.

Not sure if we are doing this and just being kept in suspense. I like optimization problems. Rather, from having to teach calculus to engineering students, I am no longer all too bothered by them. So I came up with a puzzle.

Say we have M moles of electrons and want to pack all of them into a ball-shaped container of radius R, and there should not be anything in it than just electrons pure. Disregarding the amount of energy needed to assemble the electrons, which is a standard exercise to calculate, what would be the optimal choice of material to use for the container itself, also from an energy standpoint? That is, to construct a container able to contain one mole of electrons within a proton radius ought to be fairly energy consuming. Whereas to contain the electrons within the radius of the observable universe should be a piece of cake.Well, not inside our own observable universe, since we do not want to have to first clear out all the stuff that is here; so we just do it somewhere else.