Comparing Corona Virus Success Stories with Abysmal Failures

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, MonDie said:

If we don't even send them some vaccines specifically intended for hospital workers etc., which we should have done months ago...

Which countries should we have sent it to months ago and why?

Edited by zapatos
  • Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am not talking about whether China might or might not have been forthright or who is more or less honest. That is not terribly productive in itself, and I am mostly concerned about facts we know or

It has nothing to do with 'spinning' the death toll, JC. His policies, such as pressuring State Governors to re-open, and lack of policies, such as not making medical supplies available to certain S

So, a quick look gives me the following for deaths/cases: Italy: 22,170 / 168,941 = 13% Spain: 19,315 / 184,948 = 10% China: 4,632 / 50,333 = 9% Germany: 4,051 / 137,698 = 2.9%

Posted Images

Canada ?

Because we're nice guys.
And we're waaaay behind in our vaccination targets.
( just got my 1st Pfizer shot today; second scheduled for Aug 23 !!! )

'Niceness' notwithstanding, wouldn't that have put the US way behind in our vaccination targets? Personally I think you should have had the 1st vaccine globally, but that's not up to me.

I believe the US should be helping other countries, but if it means my vaccine gets delayed I'd like to know it's for a good reason.

2 hours ago, zapatos said:

Which countries should we have sent it to months ago and why?

We should have had extras to spare.  They should have gone to experts at high risk of contracting.  India is a tinderbox.

On 1/10/2021 at 6:23 PM, CharonY said:

As a whole the flu season in Canada is very mild to almost non-existent. It is almost certainly related to isolation and distancing measures.

Even more risk, because most Indians speak English.

1 hour ago, zapatos said:

'Niceness' notwithstanding, wouldn't that have put the US way behind in our vaccination targets? Personally I think you should have had the 1st vaccine globally, but that's not up to me.

I believe the US should be helping other countries, but if it means my vaccine gets delayed I'd like to know it's for a good reason.

Australia have sent a load of the vaccines to New Guinea where it is rife, and also Fiji. But we are also complaining about the roll out in our own country where thankfully, it has been generally well controlled.

Had my first jab of astr-zeneca at the end of March,[slight fever that night but quickly dissipated by morning]  the flu jab last week and due for the second coronavirus jab at the end of June.

24 minutes ago, MonDie said:

India is a tinderbox.

How could we have known months ago that they would be a tinderbox today?

18 minutes ago, beecee said:

Australia have sent a load of the vaccines to New Guinea where it is rife, and also Fiji. But we are also complaining about the roll out in our own country where thankfully, it has been generally well controlled.

Did sending vaccines to others have much of an impact on Australia?

19 minutes ago, beecee said:

Had my first jab of astr-zeneca at the end of March,[slight fever that night but quickly dissipated by morning]  the flu jab last week and due for the second coronavirus jab at the end of June.

I got my flu shot in October and they placed the shot incorrectly. My arm is finally just about healed.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, zapatos said:

How could we have known months ago that they would be a tinderbox today?

Perhaps a better question is how did India avoid this covid calamity from happening all last year* and what led them to squander all that extra time they had where they could’ve been better preparing for this totally predictable outcome. 

*early and overly brutal lockdowns clearly played a role, but that extra time could’ve been used stockpiling PPE and vaccines knowing those would be needed as soon as they loosened social restrictions and once pandemic fatigue had set in. 

48 minutes ago, MonDie said:

Even more risk, because most Indians speak English.

I’m unclear on what you mean to convey here, or how it relates to the quote from CharonY you seem to be replying to. Maybe you can clarify?

Edited by iNow

Vaccine rollout needed to be global to stamp out this threat. However, the opportunity for eliminating the disease may have posed as most countries did not manage to keep infections sufficiently low. Most folks I talk to think that it will become endemic and require continued management (like flu).

2 hours ago, zapatos said:

Did sending vaccines to others have much of an impact on Australia?

Not really, we are now manufacturing our own...It's simply the roll out methodology and getting the vqaccine to outlet hubs that seems at times to have hit a snag...improving though as we speak/type.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Promising news about a new breakthrough treatment from Australia:

---------

Queensland researchers and a US team have developed an antiviral therapy that has killed off the COVID-19 viral load in infected mice by 99.9 per cent.

Key points:

Gene-silencing RNA technology is used to destroy the COVID-19 virus genome directly and stops the virus replicating

The treatment could be available as early as 2023, depending on the next phase of clinical trials

The research has been published in Molecular Therapy

Lead researcher Professor Nigel McMillan, from Griffith University, called it a "seek and destroy mission" where the therapy genetically targeted the potentially deadly virus.

The international team of scientists from the Menzies Health Institute Queensland and the US research institute City of Hope began their collaborative research last April.

They used a "next-generation" viral approach using gene-silencing RNA technology to attack the virus genome directly, which stops the virus spreading.

"It causes the genome to be destroyed and the virus can't grow anymore — so we inject the nanoparticles and they go and find the virus and destroy it just like a heat-seeking missile," Professor McMillan said.

"This is the first time we have been able to package this up as a particle, send it through the blood stream to attack the virus.

Source:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-17/queensland-coronavirus-antiviral-treatment-covid-19/100144370

https://www.cell.com/molecular-therapy-family/molecular-therapy/fulltext/S1525-0016(21)00256-2

Full Paper:

https://www.cell.com/action/showPdf?pii=S1525-0016(21)00256-2

fx1.jpg

Edited by Alex_Krycek

Sounds promising. I wonder if it would be made available prior to 2023, if it seems like it would work on humans, and/or for those likely to succumb otherwise?

5 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Fascinating.
Can they do the same with other viruses like HIV?
Probably a discussion that would warrant another thread.

The use if siRNA itself to knock down genes is universal and been discussed as an antiviral for quite some time. The tricky bit is the delivery to target sites. In this case, they took advantage of the fact that certain lipid nanoparticle compositions have been shown earlier to accumulate in lungs, so when delivered intravenously they were able enrich the siRNA in lung tissues. For other tissues and cell targets (which include HIV) it may be more difficult to deliver the siRNA there. 

6 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Sounds promising. I wonder if it would be made available prior to 2023, if it seems like it would work on humans, and/or for those likely to succumb otherwise?

Difficult to tell, normally they need a controlled trial on humans first to make sure that it is safe. One issue of the paper is the use of a mouse model, which might have rather different results than in humans.

The target of SARS-CoV-2 spike protein is the ACE2 protein, but the one in mice is sufficiently different to have reduced binding efficiency. Folks have expressed human ACE2 in mice (and the authors of the paper used such a mouse line) to improve their use as model. While on the symptomatic side they are closer to human infections than the wildtype mice, the transgenic mouse line has a few issues which and differences, which makes transferring treatments directly to humans without trials quite difficult.

However, there are other therapeutics in play, such as Plitidepsin which are already in trials (Phase 3) and have been established in similar animal models.