Comparing Corona Virus Success Stories with Abysmal Failures

Alex_Krycek

9 hours ago, Alex_Krycek said:

We both live in unprepared countries with ineffective strategies.  

We all live on a planet with unprepared people, who think money is "kinda neat" and decided health isn't quite as valuable.

16 hours ago, MigL said:

No Dim, we decided others' health isn't valuable.
When its our own, we'll sell our own mother into slavery for a faint hope.

Good point (it basically proves my point) but in this context, your mother/money has no value/meaning, other than how many toys you've got while your alone.

48 minutes ago, CharonY said:

So there is a preprint that predicts about 80k deaths in the USA over the next 4 months with large uncertainties, though (MEDRXIV/2020/043752). See also https://www.reuters.com/video/?videoId=OVC6U1U23&jwsource=cl

Here's a link to the pdf: http://www.healthdata.org/sites/default/files/files/research_articles/2020/covid_paper_MEDRXIV-2020-043752v1-Murray.pdf

The prediction doesn't tally well with Trump saying that things will be easier at Easter and they all can start going back to work.

US COVID Trajectory.PNG

Edited by StringJunky

The latest I heard about Coronavirus is that this can keep coming back until there is a vaccine.  Is it correct to say it is 3x as contagious as the flu and 10x as deadly?

Remember Rush Limbaugh saying "The democrats will weaponize Coronavirus!"  I hope so, since Trump weaponizes everything, all day, every day.  The Dems need to fight back by weaponizing things the way Trump does, or lose the election.  

Just heard in the news, Trump bragged about the high ratings of his daily "mini-rallys" for Coronavirus updates.  He makes his pitch, hard and heavy, then turns it over to Pense, who tells us what a great job the pes is doing, and then lastly the doctors who give some facts.  Trump is pushing his daily briefing pep talks later and later into prime time.  How can ANY Democrat beat someone so clever and so devious?  Here is Trump's tweet, weaponizing Coronavirus.

"Because the “Ratings” of my News Conferences etc. are so high, “Bachelor finale, Monday Night Football type numbers” according to the @nytimes, the Lamestream Media is going CRAZY. “Trump is reaching too many people, we must stop him.” said one lunatic. See you at 5:00 P.M.!"

Edited by Airbrush

On 3/30/2020 at 10:03 AM, Airbrush said:

3x as contagious as the flu and 10x as deadly

Case mortality is about that. It is a fluid number of course, case-mortality of influenza for example is dependent on a variety of factors and in the US the death rate of symptomatic illnesses is somewhere between 0.1-0.2%. The case mortality for COVID-19 is estimated somewhere between 1-2% according to most estimates. The crude death rate is higher, but probably overestimates as undiagnosed folks are missing from the number.

Contagious is also a bit difficult as often there are differences in interpretation. Typically a measure to compare diseases is the so called reproductive number, R0, which indicates how many cases are generated from a single case, assuming no immunity or other interventions.

That number is often a bit difficult to assess, as for flu a certain (fluctuating) number of folks are vaccinated or naturally immune against a given strain. In case of COVID-19 there is no immunity, but isolation can curb the number. That being said, for COVID-19 the current estimates are around 1.4-3.8. The various influenza strains have a range of estimates from 0.8-2.2. It is roughly  like SARS is but lower than MERS.

The Provincial Government of Ontario, Canada, has passed a law that skips today's date, and goes directly to April 2.
The fear was that too many people would engage in April Foolery, and run afoul of social distancing guidelines.

The plan is to have two April 1sts next year.

22 minutes ago, MigL said:

The Provincial Government of Ontario, Canada, has passed a law that skips today's date, and goes directly to April 2.
The fear was that too many people would engage in April Foolery, and run afoul of social distancing guidelines.

The plan is to have two April 1sts next year.

You do know it's past noon...

Edited by J.C.MacSwell

• 2 weeks later...

I see that this has already been mentioned in the Political Humor thread.

President D Trump has announced the temporary cut to US funding of the WHO, in response to alleged withholding of information regarding the Covid-19 pandemic, and parroting of Chinese  official 'talking points ( spin ? ).
No doubt he will be criticized by many for this action, and it does seem rather shortsighted, to say the least.
He is even being criticized by China on the matter.

Given that the US is by far, the largest contributor to the WHO, contributing 22 %, almost twice as much as China and three times the amount of the next highest contributor, isn't China being hypocritical ?
Maybe they should do as the US has done for so many years, and put their money where their mouth is.

22 minutes ago, MigL said:

Given that the US is by far, the largest contributor to the WHO, contributing 22 %, almost twice as much as China and three times the amount of the next highest contributor, isn't China being hypocritical ?
Maybe they should do as the US has done for so many years, and put their money where their mouth is.

You mean they should arm themselves to the teeth?

1 hour ago, MigL said:

I see that this has already been mentioned in the Political Humor thread.

President D Trump has announced the temporary cut to US funding of the WHO, in response to alleged withholding of information regarding the Covid-19 pandemic, and parroting of Chinese  official 'talking points ( spin ? ).
No doubt he will be criticized by many for this action, and it does seem rather shortsighted, to say the least.
He is even being criticized by China on the matter.

The membership fees are calculated based on wealth and population of the country (I do not know the exact formula, though). I.e. it is a share that the nations agreed on and where the USA decides to break the agreement for PR reasons. It should be noted that the USA has not paid its last membership fees, either (whereas China apparently has). 

https://www.who.int/about/finances-accountability/funding/assessed-contributions/en/

It does seem that Trump is indeed running the US like one of his companies. And that is not a good thing.

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

You mean they should arm themselves to the teeth?

Defence is a national edeavor, Dimreepr.
The WHO is a worldwide, multinational organization.
Vast difference.

China should be the last to complain about the situation the world finds itself in.

2 hours ago, MigL said:

President D Trump has announced the temporary cut to US funding of the WHO,

My immediate reaction to this is that he must be trying to distract us all from something else, like the rollback of the Clean Air act or something similar (like removing oversight on how the $2T stimulus gets spent)

5 minutes ago, iNow said:

My immediate reaction to this is that he must be trying to distract us all from something else, like the rollback of the Clean Air act or something similar (like removing oversight on how the $2T stimulus gets spent)

Imo, this is only a way to blame someone else for being unprepared for covid-19. But I don't live in USA, so I might have a wrong perspective - Trump might be more cunning than it seems to me.

(And not that I am very impressed with the way WHO handles the covid-19 situation either.).

32 minutes ago, Danijel Gorupec said:

Imo, this is only a way to blame someone else for being unprepared for covid-19

I tend to agree with this, especially since he's blaming the WHO for all the exact same things people are blaming him for.

14 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

I wonder how Bolsonaro is going to live down "...just a little flu".

He's making Trump look good by comparison. They're also heading into their flu season, and of course lot's of homeless, so they could be particularly vulnerable.

3 hours ago, Danijel Gorupec said:

Imo, this is only a way to blame someone else for being unprepared for covid-19. But I don't live in USA, so I might have a wrong perspective - Trump might be more cunning than it seems to me.

(And not that I am very impressed with the way WHO handles the covid-19 situation either.).

That is my assumption as well. There is currently a concerted effort to blame China and WHO for all the mismanagement that happened in the US.

1 hour ago, CharonY said:

That is my assumption as well. There is currently a concerted effort to blame China and WHO for all the mismanagement that happened in the US.

I don't think China, especially, or the WHO have acted well...but there certainly was enough information out there that was, tragically, ignored or overlooked.