Erase Adhesive Marks

Enthalpy

Hi everyone!

Both single and double sided adhesive tape can leave marks that are difficult to remove from the items. One nasty case is on scissors used to cut the tape. Small debris of the adhesive tape on the blades separate them, and the scissors can't cut. Removing these marks is lengthy.

An eraser removes these marks like magic, quickly and perfectly.

Marc Schaefer, aka Enthalpy

Hi. Thanks.

Would like to mention a product that works very well :Goo Gone Cleaner - 236ml - London Drugs

And another method I found:  Using the adhesive side of adhesive tape, duct tape, any tape to lick/lift the unwanted residue needing removal from an object.

5 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Acetic acid, at concentrations high enough to affect the glue will really trash your skin.

True.

Just happened be a quirky side use I heard of while looking into it. Being able to make Cocaine play-doh is another weird one.

I'd recommend gloves either way lol.

Having had to remove many self adhesive labels in my time I have found the simplest method is to heat the label before removal.
This strips off the glue with the lable rather well.

Different methods of applying heat can be used from a hair drier to hot water.
For instance I use a lot of malt and generate usable jamjars clean enough for new food when the malt is used up.
Here I wash out the empty jar in the washing up water, then fill it with boiling water and stand it in the washing up water.
After about half an hour the label just floats off cleanly, taking the glue with it.
If I scratch off the label cold that always leaves a difficult to remove residue.

The best chemical solvent I have found for removal is petroleum. This does not damage plastics as acetone (and acetic acid) is wont to do.
A dip of a rag into the mower tank and a wipe/rub removes most organic material a treat.
But this is best  done in the open air and you should always wash the object afterwards.

Edited by studiot

10 minutes ago, studiot said:

Having had to remove many self adhesive labels in my time I have found the simplest method is to heat the label before removal.
This strips off the glue with the lable rather well.

Different methods of applying heat can be used from a hair drier to hot water.
For instance I use a lot of malt and generate usable jamjars clean enough for new food when the malt is used up.
Here I wash out the empty jar in the washing up water, then fill it with boiling water and stand it in the washing up water.
After about half an hour the label just floats off cleanly, taking the glue with it.
If I scratch off the label cold that always leaves a difficult to remove residue.

The best chemical solvent I have found for removal is petroleum. This does not damage plastics as acetone (and acetic acid) is wont to do.
A dip of a rag into the mower tank and a wipe/rub removes most organic material a treat.
But this is best  done in the open air and you should always wash the object afterwards.

Just tried it on some adhesive marks left from brown parcel tape on plastic and it is very efficient.