Covid-19 vaccines thread

Duda Jarek

29 minutes ago, friendstalkingwithyou said:

I regret being the one to say it, but viruses have been infecting humans from day one and will continue to do so. That is why our bodies have antibodies to kill the virus before it kills us.

Some will survive this & others will not

Many humans also have a high degree of intelligence, and overcome regrettable stances with critical thought and reasoned action. 

• 4 weeks later...

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/05/the-ars-covid-19-vaccine-primer-100-plus-in-the-works-8-in-clinical-trials/

They have at least 102 vaccine candidates in development worldwide. Eight of those have already entered early clinical trials in people. At least two have protected a small number of monkeys from infection with the novel coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, that causes COVID-19.

Some optimistic vaccine developers say that, if all goes perfectly, we could see large-scale production and limited deployment of vaccines as early as this fall.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2020 at 2:47 AM, Duda Jarek said:

Developing a standard vaccine for coronavirus will take at least a few months - what might be too late.
However, its sequence is already known, and is nearly identical - suggesting recent single point of origin for human host.

So the question is if/how there could be quickly started production of some provisional vaccine - not perfect but fast to introduce? Also exploiting the fact that these viruses are now nearly identical.
For example synthesizing its outside proteins and putting them on liposomes - would its introduction to blood have a chance to prepare immune system for the real virus?

As I understand it there are no vaccines for RNA viruses, Covid-19 is not a flu virus.  So if a vaccine is developed it will be the first of it's kind.  I had this disease anyway so did my entire family and we were not even sick enough to go to a doctor.  So not everything you hear on TV is real

Edited by Delberty

27 minutes ago, Delberty said:

I had this disease anyway so did my entire family and we were not even sick enough to go to a doctor.  So not everything you hear on TV is real

Anecdotes are not sensible data to make personal or public health decisions on. However, it does seem that many, possibly most, people have mild or no symptoms. This has frequently been in the media, including TV. However, a significant proportion suffer sever consequences and many of those die. So it is silly to try and dismiss it.

But yes, Star Trek is not real. 🙂

31 minutes ago, Strange said:

Anecdotes are not sensible data to make personal or public health decisions on. However, it does seem that many, possibly most, people have mild or no symptoms. This has frequently been in the media, including TV. However, a significant proportion suffer sever consequences and many of those die. So it is silly to try and dismiss it.

But yes, Star Trek is not real. 

I had a fever that left me drenched at noon on a Wednesday, it subsided in under a half hour, I never even had time to take my temp as I was working.  The next day in the early afternoon I had severe stomach pains, so bad that I took the next day Friday off.  Upon waking the next day all the pain was gone and I felt normal.  Then that night the stomach pains came out as hot watery diarrhea, so bad that I mentioned this to my wife.  Saturday or Sunday I do not remember which my wife cooked chicken and rice for dinner a comfort food favorite and I commented to my wife that the food had no taste.  This all in early January.  The next week my wife lost her hearing for 4 or 5 days, the first one sick was my son who shares a gym with me.

Conclusion Covid-19 is the best thing that could have happened to me because I can not be afraid of catching what I have had.  To prevent further issues I am riding 40 miles at a clip on my race bike................ 

Antibodies are great, but why do you have no comment on the total lack of vaccines for RNA viruses or the false narrative that a vaccine will be created for this as there is just no precedent

Edited by Delberty

14 minutes ago, Delberty said:

Conclusion Covid-19 is the best thing that could have happened to me because I can not be afraid of catching what I have had.

You might catch it again, and have more serious consequences. Or you might catch a future novel disease. 

To prevent further issues I am riding 40 miles at a clip on my race bike................ 

Not sure how that is going to help. But do try and ensure you don't spread the disease to anyone else just because you think you can't catch it again.

16 minutes ago, Delberty said:

Antibodies are great, but why do you have no comment on the total lack of vaccines for RNA viruses or the false narrative that a vaccine will be created for this as there is just no precedent

Because it is not a subject I know anything about. I did a quick search and saw a lot of research into SARS vaccines that seem to work. So I will wait to see what someone more knowledgable says.

Even if we haven't had a vaccine for an RA virus before, doesn't mean it is not possible. It could just be that it hasn't been important enough until now. I don't know.

1 hour ago, Delberty said:

Polio is an RNA virus; more than one vaccine has been developed for it.

Edited by studiot

4 hours ago, Delberty said:

I had a fever that left me drenched at noon on a Wednesday, it subsided in under a half hour, I never even had time to take my temp as I was working.  The next day in the early afternoon I had severe stomach pains, so bad that I took the next day Friday off.  Upon waking the next day all the pain was gone and I felt normal.  Then that night the stomach pains came out as hot watery diarrhea, so bad that I mentioned this to my wife.  Saturday or Sunday I do not remember which my wife cooked chicken and rice for dinner a comfort food favorite and I commented to my wife that the food had no taste.  This all in early January.  The next week my wife lost her hearing for 4 or 5 days, the first one sick was my son who shares a gym with me.

Conclusion Covid-19 is the best thing that could have happened to me because I can not be afraid of catching what I have had.  To prevent further issues I am riding 40 miles at a clip on my race bike................ 

What were the results of the viral and/or antibody tests?

My symptoms in January were nearly identical and I tested positive for the flu.

Not to mention that GI issues are rather rare (though not unheard of) for COVID-19. Using anecdotes and opinion to influence decision making during times of crisis is very dangerous.

4 hours ago, studiot said:

Polio is an RNA virus; more than one vaccine has been developed for it.

Not only that, in the same post flu was mentioned- obviously there are influenza vaccines. Or measles and mumps. 

20 hours ago, Delberty said:

As I understand it there are no vaccines for RNA viruses, Covid-19 is not a flu virus.  So if a vaccine is developed it will be the first of it's kind.  I had this disease anyway so did my entire family and we were not even sick enough to go to a doctor.  So not everything you hear on TV is real

True...but I did hear on TV that there are a lot of cases where people don't get sick, or only mildly get so.

So I guess some of it is true?

On 5/13/2020 at 7:01 AM, Strange said:

You might catch it again, and have more serious consequences. Or you might catch a future novel disease. 

Not sure how that is going to help. But do try and ensure you don't spread the disease to anyone else just because you think you can't catch it again.

Because it is not a subject I know anything about. I did a quick search and saw a lot of research into SARS vaccines that seem to work. So I will wait to see what someone more knowledgable says.

Even if we haven't had a vaccine for an RA virus before, doesn't mean it is not possible. It could just be that it hasn't been important enough until now. I don't know.

I might also get this again and not be sick again.  For all we know 200 million americans might have had this already as healthy people are or were being totally ignored.

Are people sleeping alone with masks?  Why drive alone with the windows up and wear a mask.  Makes no sense at all on any level because the mask is not to keep the wearer safe but to keep them from sneezing or coughing and spreading the virus.

Staying at home for long enough also weakens the immune system.

At any rate catching this was the best thing that could have happened to me, and they are saying now that antibody protection is lasting

12 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

True...but I did hear on TV that there are a lot of cases where people don't get sick, or only mildly get so.

So I guess some of it is true?

We need every American tested for antibodies to determine the mortality of the disease.  All we have now are guesses

25 minutes ago, Delberty said:

For all we know 200 million americans might have had this already as healthy people are or were being totally ignored.

There have been a few studies looking at random groups of people (not fully randomised, but now people who were thought to have Covid-19). The results have been rather variable but seem to be around 5% of the people were infected. Now there seem to be some reliable antibody tests, we might get some more accurate information from mass testing.

27 minutes ago, Delberty said:

they are saying now that antibody protection is lasting

I haven't seen that. Do you have a link?

3 minutes ago, NineTwentyEight said:

Why don't we just use these. I am genuinely curious to know why nano surgical gene modification is a no go. 

It is a lab experiment, not a practical tool.

8 minutes ago, Strange said:

What are we not getting right? What barriers have impeded their medical production for the past three years? The wallet of the doctor's it would make obsolete?

Similar to the barriers facing the commercial production of electric powered cars and 2.000 mph maglev trains?

It would be best if we just got rid of purchasing power altogether. Can't impede science if there's no currency, because the only jobs left are the production of artificial scarcity. 

Edited by NineTwentyEight

7 minutes ago, NineTwentyEight said:

What are we not getting right? What barriers have impeded their medical production for the past three years? The wallet of the doctor's it would make obsolete?

Similar to the barriers facing the commercial production of electric powered cars and 2.000 mph maglev trains?

It would be best if we just got rid of purchasing power altogether. Can't impede science if there's no currency, because the only jobs left are the production of artificial scarcity. 

I don't know what you are on about. That DNA robot is just a lab experiment, not practical technology. For example, it says: "To test it, Qian created a flat 58-by-58-nanometre surface ... but a single step between stones takes a rather lengthy 5 minutes, meaning that covering the entire surface takes a whole day."

It will take many years before anything practical could be developed from that. But even then, what would you use it for? The problem with treating Covid-19 is not a lack of nano-robots, it is a lack of a vaccine.

Just now, Strange said:

I don't know what you are on about. That DNA robot is just a lab experiment, not practical technology. For example, it says: "To test it, Qian created a flat 58-by-58-nanometre surface ... but a single step between stones takes a rather lengthy 5 minutes, meaning that covering the entire surface takes a whole day."

It will take many years before anything practical could be developed from that. But even then, what would you use it for? The problem with treating Covid-19 is not a lack of nano-robots, it is a lack of a vaccine.

It is customary or a well understood fact that vaccines use a strain against itself.

However, you won't need a vaccine of you have nanites like to sever all infected cells and replicate healthier ones.

11 minutes ago, Strange said:

A study in the UK shows about 0.27% were infected: https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52662066

What percentage of the UK's 68 million people were tested?  

The fact is that only sick people are or were being tested, the 90 percent who were infected like my entire family were not counted.  This is not like the flu where 100 percent of those infected have horrible symptoms for 1 to 3 weeks

9 minutes ago, NineTwentyEight said:

I'm having to talk to my doctor over my pc's camera. 

I can't do that because I do not have a doctor

All doctors do is lie so that we get more tests

48 minutes ago, Strange said:

There have been a few studies looking at random groups of people (not fully randomised, but now people who were thought to have Covid-19). The results have been rather variable but seem to be around 5% of the people were infected. Now there seem to be some reliable antibody tests, we might get some more accurate information from mass testing.

I haven't seen that. Do you have a link?

I saw the info on TV several times, one must remember that no one knows if the immunity is permanent or if not for how long it will last or will it apply to new strains.  Officially the government still wants everyone to be terrified of talking to a neighbor

Edited by Delberty

3 hours ago, Delberty said:

Staying at home for long enough also weakens the immune system.

Citation please.

2 hours ago, Delberty said:

who were infected like my entire family

Again, what were the results of the viral and/or antibody tests? Did you get tested?

2 hours ago, Delberty said:

one must remember that no one knows if the immunity is permanent or if not for how long it will last or will it apply to new strains. 

So why did you say “they are saying now that antibody protection is lasting”. You seem to be contradicting yourself. 

And no one is saying that (because we don’t know yet).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.