What happens to ingested substances?

It depends on the substance. Some will be broken down by the digestive system and then absorbed, they may then be further broken down in the liver and excreted. Some might pass straight through and have some effect (ingesting a lot of soap will likely cause diarrhoea ) or no effect. 

I assume that lipstick is designed to be safe in the quantities that might be swallowed. But how (and why) are you ingesting face powder?

Good morning Strange, thanks for replying.

I mentioned face powder in my "list" because I imagined the stuff being continually rubbed in over the years would be absorbed into the skin and wondered what the body would do with it.

Regards

Alan

7 hours ago, ohdearme said:

Good morning Strange, thanks for replying.

I mentioned face powder in my "list" because I imagined the stuff being continually rubbed in over the years would be absorbed into the skin and wondered what the body would do with it.

Regards

Alan

It all depends on: the size/type of molecule; whether it can breach a membrane; ability to be neutralised and excreted or stored and accumulates.