Drawing pad for math teaching

André Delmont

47 minutes ago, André Delmont said:

Hello,

Due to Corona virus outbreak, I am required to teach on line by Skype. I wonder if a drawing pad could be useful within screen sharing to use it as a a whiteboard. Can anyone give me clues on this?

Try Geogebra.

https://www.geogebra.org/?lang=en-GB

It's free and your students can get it too.

Edited by studiot

@André Delmont Do you have access to Microsoft tools on the computer? I thing newer versions of Office could have what you look for if you share screen via Skype.
Google for ink math assistant onenote

Disclaimer: I have used handwriting a lot in onenote on big screens (as white board replacement) but not yet tried multiple simultaneous users.

Keep it simple. Use Photoshop. Almost everyone has it and you can draw anything you want.

Also use layers is simple and can display many different screens.

I don't know how to view your screen on Skype, but it should be possible.

You can share the Photoshop files and no one needs to download more software. You can export to gif or jpeg.

8 hours ago, Trurl said:

Keep it simple. Use Photoshop. Almost everyone has it and you can draw anything you want.

Photoshop is really expensive (I no longer use it because I can't justify the cost). So I find it impossible to believe that almost everyone has it. They used to have quite a good academic discount but I thought that had gone away.

Also, it is not a good drawing tool. Their drawing tool is Illustrator (which is great, but also really expensive).

13 hours ago, Ghideon said:

@André Delmont Do you have access to Microsoft tools on the computer? I thing newer versions of Office could have what you look for if you share screen via Skype.
Google for ink math assistant onenote

Disclaimer: I have used handwriting a lot in onenote on big screens (as white board replacement) but not yet tried multiple simultaneous users.

And (also with the caveat that I have never used it) I understand a lot of people use Google Docs for this sort of thing.

23 minutes ago, Strange said:

I understand a lot of people use Google Docs for this sort of thing.

True. I have not tested an interactive session with google but google draw is good for creating and sharing pictures with symbols and/or hand writings.

@André Delmont here is a link to a guide "Teaching Math with Google Drawings". There are examples and templates for creating hand-in material or slides for teachers. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1URZeW53_ieN0BY6PNpNyp67QCdHA7-98rDis6BHWLHM 

It focuses most on geometry but I think it may be useful for evaluating if the google tools are useful in your situation.

49 minutes ago, Ghideon said:

True. I have not tested an interactive session with google but google draw is good for creating and sharing pictures with symbols and/or hand writings.

@André Delmont here is a link to a guide "Teaching Math with Google Drawings". There are examples and templates for creating hand-in material or slides for teachers. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1URZeW53_ieN0BY6PNpNyp67QCdHA7-98rDis6BHWLHM 

It focuses most on geometry but I think it may be useful for evaluating if the google tools are useful in your situation.

+1

52 minutes ago, André Delmont said:

Thanks

Edited by studiot

On 3/15/2020 at 3:54 AM, André Delmont said:

Thanks to all of you responding. I am trying the various alternatives presented. I shall tell you about.

So pretty much in the same boat, we have starting to offer lectures via Zoom where you can share a whiteboard. It works well with a table attached, and other wise it is a bit awkward but workable.

20 hours ago, BabcockHall said:

We are zooming, too.  I am trying to learn how to use a Wacom Intuos, but it's the old dog/new tricks problem.

I am using a surface which is a bit easier for me, others have been using (urgh) ipads.