confused

spaggy

according to the balanced equation what is the answer to the problem

2HCl + Ca(OH)2 --> CaCl2 + 2H2O

How many mL of 4.7 M HCl are required to neutralize (react completely) with a 868.7 mL of 4.69 M Ca(OH)2?

i need some help please explain your work

You are  confused ?

Well so am  I.

Calcium hydroxide is  barely soluble with a solubility product  of 5.5 x 10-6

So I make its solubility as 0.0112M at  room temperature.

Did  you copy the molarities down correctly?

5 minutes ago, studiot said:

You are  confused ?

Well so am  I.

Calcium hydroxide is  barely soluble with a solubility product  of 5.5 x 10-6

So I make its solubility as 0.0112M at  room temperature.

Did  you copy the molarities down correctly?

Could it be a trick question?

It would not be a true solution; it would be heterogeneous.  It could be that the problem is imperfect, as opposed to being a trick question.  As someone who has written my fair share of homework problems, I can say that it easy to overlook difficulties like this.  Nevertheless, the amount of HCl needed to neutralize it is still something that could be calculated.

Edited by BabcockHall

52 minutes ago, BabcockHall said:

It would not be a true solution; it would be heterogeneous.  It could be that the problem is imperfect, as opposed to being a trick question.  As someone who has written my fair share of homework problems, I can say that it easy to overlook difficulties like this.  Nevertheless, the amount of HCl needed to neutralize it is still something that could be calculated.

There would be a 0.01M solution, with a quickly settling sludge in the bottom of the container.

'Imperfect' is a polite way of  describing such a problem.

38 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

Did anybody specify that the solvent is water?
I must admit, I can't easily think of anything in which you could prepare a 4.69M solution of Ca(OH)2

Wouldn't a different solvent also have to dissolve HCl ?

5 hours ago, studiot said:

Wouldn't a different solvent also have to dissolve HCl ?

There would be nothing to stop you using water as the solvent for the acid and a different solvent for the base- as long as the solvents mix (and no awkward side reactions happen).
Maybe glycerin or glycol would dissolve enough calcium hydroxide; they are certainly better solvents than water is.

3 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

There would be nothing to stop you using water as the solvent for the acid and a different solvent for the base- as long as the solvents mix (and no awkward side reactions happen).

That's true enough.

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Calcium-hydroxide#section=Solubility

0.2 % at 32° F (NIOSH, 2016)

National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health. NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards (full website version). https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg (accessed August 2016).

Slightly soluble in water. Insoluble in ethanol. Soluble in glycerol

In water, 1730 mg/L at 20 °C

Shiu WY et al; Rev Environ Contam Toxicol 116: 15-187 (1990)

In water, 0.160 g/100 g water at 20 °C

Haynes, W.M. (ed.). CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. 94th Edition. CRC Press LLC, Boca Raton: FL 2013-2014, p. 4-55

Very slightly soluble in boiling water. Insoluble in alcohol.

O'Neil, M.J. (ed.). The Merck Index - An Encyclopedia of Chemicals, Drugs, and Biologicals. Cambridge, UK: Royal Society of Chemistry, 2013., p. 292

Soluble in acid

Haynes, W.M. (ed.). CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. 94th Edition. CRC Press LLC, Boca Raton: FL 2013-2014, p. 4-55

Soluble in glycerol, sugar or ammonium chloride solution; soluble in acids with evolution of much heat

O'Neil, M.J. (ed.). The Merck Index - An Encyclopedia of Chemicals, Drugs, and Biologicals. Cambridge, UK: Royal Society of Chemistry, 2013., p. 292

Solubility in water: none

(32°F): 0.2%

Edited by studiot