Testing for Aluminum

Achromat

Hello, I basically know next to nothing about science and am wondering about ways I can find out if there's any aluminum in a pile of dust I have. I would also, if possible, like to somehow find out if there's any aluminum content in my raw bearded wheat.

The only option I know of is to use a neodymium magnet, which isn't very accessible to me. Can someone point me in another (easier) direction(s)?

TIA

I now realize I posted this in the wrong section. My bad

Edited by Achromat
Grammatical

18 hours ago, Achromat said:

Hello, I basically know next to nothing about science and am wondering about ways I can find out if there's any aluminum in a pile of dust I have. I would also, if possible, like to somehow find out if there's any aluminum content in my raw bearded wheat.

The only option I know of is to use a neodymium magnet, which isn't very accessible to me. Can someone point me in another (easier) direction(s)?

TIA

I now realize I posted this in the wrong section. My bad

**WARNING this information contains chemicals that are very corrosive and also toxic. Handle with care and make sure to dispose of properly. 

I would say if you just wanted to find if there is some amount of aluminum within the dust or the wheat and not a specific quantity, I would try some drain cleaner (NaOH or lye). Aluminum has a vigorous reaction with NaOH and thus can easily be observed if there is Al present in your dust. Try to use a small amount of your dust or wheat and a drop of drain cleaner to test. 

Here's the reaction taking place:

2Al + 2NaOH + 6H2O → 2Na[Al(OH)4] + 3H2

And if you'd like, here's a quick video of the reaction so you're not surprised by what will happen if you try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O3fOHYBXx0

20 hours ago, uoste211 said:

**WARNING this information contains chemicals that are very corrosive and also toxic. Handle with care and make sure to dispose of properly. 

I would say if you just wanted to find if there is some amount of aluminum within the dust or the wheat and not a specific quantity, I would try some drain cleaner (NaOH or lye). Aluminum has a vigorous reaction with NaOH and thus can easily be observed if there is Al present in your dust. Try to use a small amount of your dust or wheat and a drop of drain cleaner to test. 

Here's the reaction taking place:

2Al + 2NaOH + 6H2O → 2Na[Al(OH)4] + 3H2

And if you'd like, here's a quick video of the reaction so you're not surprised by what will happen if you try this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O3fOHYBXx0

Wow cool, thanks! I'll try it out and let you guys know if chem-trails are real! 🙃

2 hours ago, Achromat said:

I'll try it out and let you guys know if chem-trails are real!

They aren't.

On 2/27/2020 at 10:57 PM, Achromat said:

Well, the first thing to consider is that aluminium might be present as a compound or as the metal.

There are almost certainly aluminium compounds in the dust and in the wheat.

Aluminium is the commonest metal in the Earth's crust. It gets everywhere.

Aluminium metal is less likely- unless the material has been stored in aluminium containers or some such.

Why do you want to know?

20 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

There are almost certainly aluminium compounds in the dust and in the wheat.

From what I remember (I don’t have the book with me) wheat is one of the main sources of dietary aluminium. Tea has the largest amount.