camping alcohol as sanitizing alcohol

andrew_ysk

I am wonder if the camping alcohol fuel which said 99% organic alcohol on the label, can i use it in similar way as rubbing alcohol for hand and item sanitizing ?

i have already have a bottle of it in store for a long time, since right now the Corona virus is spreading rapidly everywhere, can i use it instead of iso alcohol ?

if we can't use it as replacement, then pls explain.

thanks

andrew

hii,

are you saying bourbon wiskey as sanitizer ? isn't that expensive ?  here, a little that costs 9 euro..  i rather buy organic 99% alcohol sold in garden store.. lol

anybody here can confirm me that it is replace able ? as rubbing alcohol ?  because i have a big bottle of it.. it will last for sometime.. i don't wish to purchase a 20 liter iso alcohol.. which will costs 45 euro.

anybody ?

thx

andrew

You could always buy cider, then freeze it.

22 minutes ago, andrew_ysk said:

anybody here can confirm me that it is replace able ? as rubbing alcohol ?  because i have a big bottle of it.. it will last for sometime.

This is a strange thread, is 99% alcohol a reasonable replacement for a dubiosly labelled 100% alcohol? 

Drinkable alcohol is usually not high enough for efficient disinfection (at least to common standards). Ideally you want 70-80%. However, it is not clear to me what you have as fuel. If it is e.g. methanol, you should not use it, due to its toxicity. 

hii CharonY,

i have a 5 liter bottle of 99% organic alcohol sold in outdoor and garden center , i suppose for fuel.

my question is, can i use it as sanitizer , so that i don't have to buy more alcohol.. because i never get to use the alcohol for years already.  if i gonna buy another 10 liter or 20 little bottle of iso propanol alcohol,  ... then there will be a lot of alcohol in my basement.. wasting money and fire hazard.  i need sanitizer because the corona virus is spreading to country near me already. hence need to prepare a bit, just in case.. 

the label stated 99% organic alcohol. not methanol or other thing.

as to what dimreepr said, i don't get what he said  actually.. why apple cider frozen ?  use apple cider to spray to sanitize air and item and hand ?  not that effective isn't it ?

i saw 70% alcohol have the power to kill virus.. mine is 99% should be more than sufficient, in fact, i need to dilute it with water.. so, why not able to kill virus ?

i suppose it should be effective as iso alcohol.. waiting for answer is time consuming. lol

thx.

andrew

30 minutes ago, CharonY said:

Drinkable alcohol is usually not high enough for efficient disinfection (at least to common standards). Ideally you want 70-80%. However, it is not clear to me what you have as fuel. If it is e.g. methanol, you should not use it, due to its toxicity. 

And many alcohol products like this have toxic compounds added to try and stop people drinking them. So I wouldn't want too much exposure to it.

8 minutes ago, andrew_ysk said:

One way of extracting alcohol from a mixture of alcohol and water (e.g. cider) it to freeze it. The water freezes and leaves the alcohol behind. The problem with this is that it is difficult to control the purity of the alcohol. And it is illegal in many jurisdictions.

I think cider was suggested because (in the UK) it is a cheap alcoholic drink. (In some countries, "cider" just means apple juice.)

Hii Strange, i am using the 99% alcohol as sanitizer.. not to drink or use it on food.. just for normal door knob, car door  and hand sanitizing..  even if there is bitterax or other chemical added to hinder ppl from drinking it... i am just using it for sanitizing.. not drinking.. why should there be toxic ?

1 hour ago, andrew_ysk said:

Hii Strange, i am using the 99% alcohol as sanitizer.. not to drink or use it on food.. just for normal door knob, car door  and hand sanitizing..  even if there is bitterax or other chemical added to hinder ppl from drinking it... i am just using it for sanitizing.. not drinking.. why should there be toxic ?

Can absorb via the skin.

3 hours ago, andrew_ysk said:

hii CharonY,

i have a 5 liter bottle of 99% organic alcohol sold in outdoor and garden center , i suppose for fuel.

my question is, can i use it as sanitizer , so that i don't have to buy more alcohol.. because i never get to use the alcohol for years already.  if i gonna buy another 10 liter or 20 little bottle of iso propanol alcohol,  ... then there will be a lot of alcohol in my basement.. wasting money and fire hazard.  i need sanitizer because the corona virus is spreading to country near me already. hence need to prepare a bit, just in case.. 

the label stated 99% organic alcohol. not methanol or other thing.

as to what dimreepr said, i don't get what he said  actually.. why apple cider frozen ?  use apple cider to spray to sanitize air and item and hand ?  not that effective isn't it ?

i saw 70% alcohol have the power to kill virus.. mine is 99% should be more than sufficient, in fact, i need to dilute it with water.. so, why not able to kill virus ?

i suppose it should be effective as iso alcohol.. waiting for answer is time consuming. lol

thx.

andrew

Unless it's made from known unadulterated isopropyl or ethyl alcohol, I wouldn't use it. As CharonY said, it wants to be a 70-80% solution because it denatures the proteins in pathogens better. What's wrong with wiping down things with a 10% bleach solution?

Hii, Endy0816

thanks for your short answer.. something i never thought of . acceptable answer.. thank you. 

hii StringJunky,

as i said the label states it is 99% organic alcohol. not just 70% - 80%.

bleach will slowly degraded to salt and water when  it left there for sometime or get exposed by sun light. although i don't know how long is the effective time, but that discourage ppl from using it as portable sanitizer.  however, alcohol won't degrade when we put it in a spray bottle. .

hiii Strange,

I didn't made up my mind back then, however i changed my mind according to the answer that is reasonable that i obtained .  you didn't explain why i should not use it. however

Endy0816 gave me a clear to the point answer. hence i accepted with gladness.

thank you.

andrew

17 minutes ago, andrew_ysk said:

I didn't made up my mind back then, however i changed my mind according to the answer that is reasonable that i obtained .  you didn't explain why i should not use it. however

Well if we assume that the alcohol has some bitter/toxic component, after using it on your hands you would want to wash your hands. In which case, you might as well just have washed your hands in the first place.

And if there is a risk it might be absorbed or cause skin irritation / dermatitis, then I would avoid it for that reason as well.