Vaccines and autism

FishandChips

A friend of mine has decided that he is not going to give his baby vaccinations. From what  he tells me from his research he claims that vaccines are not required and may cause autism.

I did a quick google and from what I can see most of the medical evidence suggests that vaccines  are usually have very mild side effects. It was stated that perhaps one baby in a million might suffer an allergic reaction to vaccines. What are your thoughts on vaccines and autism ? If people have been misguided where did these rumours come from ?

4 minutes ago, FishandChips said:

A friend of mine has decided that he is not going to give his baby vaccinations. From what  he tells me from his research he claims that vaccines are not required and may cause autism.

I did a quick google and from what I can see most of the medical evidence suggests that vaccines  are usually have very mild side effects. It was stated that perhaps one baby in a million might suffer an allergic reaction to vaccines. What are your thoughts on vaccines and autism ? If people have been misguided where did these rumours come from ?

The autism connection has been peer reviewed and the author of that has been discredited and struck off. He, to cut a long story short, had a financial interest in pursuing this position.  Unfortunately, this myth has persisted and been magnified by the internet. Google 'andrew wakefield autism'

3 hours ago, FishandChips said:

Your male friend has decided ?  What does the baby's mother think?

If and when a coronavirus vaccine is developed would he wish to refuse that ?

What about polio ?

I don't know what country you are in but part of the problem in the UK was the insistence of the authorities to only offer a coctail vaccine.

Many were afraid of the coctail effect, egged on by the then Doctor that String Junky refers to, and refused the MMR vaccine.

Sadly there has been a large spike in measles cases in the UK in youths who did not receive the measles vaccine.

Measles can be extremely serious in youths of their age (late teens to early twenties) whilst quite mild in smaller children.

The cause of Autism is unknown, but recently changed methods of classification and the offer of special funding may well have led to an increase in diagnosis in the UK.

Edited by studiot

6 hours ago, FishandChips said:

What are your thoughts on vaccines and autism ?

"Made up nonsense"...

Baby with autism is starting showing symptoms of autism at age when it is also heavily vaccinated and somebody ultimately incompetent and/or disgustingly insidious made claim that there is connection between the both. But only connection is age of a child.

CDC articles about ASD

https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/data.html

The most interesting for you should be studies and statistics about ASD of identical twins, non-identical twins, and siblings.

ps. Read and take data from reliable government sources.

2 hours ago, FishandChips said:

I see alot of articles on the internet proclaiming metals in vaccines (mercury and aluminium} are bad and can cause problems in children and babies.

I am keen to hear other peoples thoughts on this.

This is just evidence that people are searching for something to justify their beliefs.

Not all vaccines contain mercury. So in the uk, people latched onto Wakefield’s lies and faked results as a cause. In the USA, where some vaccines contained mercury in the past (as a preservative) they latched on to that.

Even if you remove mercury, the anti-vax (or pro-disease) lobby don’t shut up. 

And even when it is proved that Wakefield's results were fraudulent and he abused the children in his care, the pro-disease lobby still use him as a reference.

10 hours ago, FishandChips said:

I see alot of articles on the internet proclaiming metals in vaccines (mercury and aluminium} are bad and can cause problems in children and babies.

Aluminium is the commonest metal (and third commonest element in the earth's crust.

It's really not very toxic; if it was, we would be dead.
That's pretty obvious if you just do a bit of googling.
And yet the pro-death campaigners keep banging on about it.

Mercury is toxic.
One way to significantly reduce that toxicity is to convert it to thiomersal- the form in which tiny quantities are present in some (but not all) vaccines.

There's simply not enough there to be a threat.

Again, the pro-disease lobby  go on about it, even though the actual evidence makes it clear that they are wrong.

If they were really concerned about health, would they do that?

10 hours ago, FishandChips said:

The form they are in makes a difference. Chlorine can be deadly, but people tend to put it on/in their food without its poisonous nature being an issue.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2020 at 3:28 AM, Sensei said:

[...] reliable government sources.

I agreed with the rest, up to these three paradoxical words.

On 2/27/2020 at 7:36 AM, FishandChips said:

I see a lot of articles on the internet proclaiming [...]

Science is not democratic.