Hijack from I don’t know in science

Bmpbmp1975

12 minutes ago, swansont said:

Yes.

For some phenomena we don’t have a model. For other phenomena we lack data that would allow a definitive answer.

We don’t know if there is more to the standard model than the Higgs boson, and all the rest of that model. I’m afraid “is it all” is not descriptive enough.(I also suspect that your familiarity with the standard model doesn’t include much more than a bit about the Higgs)

We gain confidence by having experimental results match our models

We also find out if models are incomplete when we find results that don’t fit the models. 

So basically we are not sure our concept of vacuum decay Is right we found the Higgs at a dangerous level which means our concept of how long and when is pretty much possibly wrong? It can happen at any time?

Edited by Bmpbmp1975

6 minutes ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

So basically we are not sure our concept of vacuum decay Is right we found the Higgs at a dangerous level which means our concept of how long and when is pretty much possibly wrong? It can happen at any time?

What can happen at any time?

Just now, Bufofrog said:

No, why do think the vacuum constant is going to change?

Not vacuum constant but if all our science is I don’t know then the whole concept that  vacuum decay can destroy the universe billions of years from now may be wrong. So what we saw with the level of the Higgs may be a newer state that means it can happen shortly ?

16 minutes ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

Not vacuum constant but if all our science is I don’t know

It isn't.

17 minutes ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

the whole concept that  vacuum decay can destroy the universe billions of years from now may be wrong.

I wasn't aware we thought it was going too.

19 minutes ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

So what we saw with the level of the Higgs may be a newer state that means it can happen shortly ?

No, I don't see any evidence that the universe is going to end shortly.  You can relax.

1 hour ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

We aren’t discussing vacuum decay, or any particular bit of physics

1 minute ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

That is what my post is about, 

Then you misrepresented yourself in the OP.

1 minute ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

why is  it anytime I mention vacuum decay everything gets hushed?

Because it’s dishonest to discuss one topic in order to bring up another, and because you haven’t demonstrated that you know enough to be able to discuss it at any depth.

2 minutes ago, swansont said:

Then you misrepresented yourself in the OP.

Because it’s dishonest to discuss one topic in order to bring up another, and because you haven’t demonstrated that you know enough to be able to discuss it at any depth.

I know that what lhc discovered was the Higgs was at an unstable state which can lead to vacuum decay, I know that it has been stated it can happen at anytime. But yet many say it’s not possible nor can happen in our lifetime but have never been explained why. 
Dr Hawking predicted it also. 

also in my this original post I mentioned the Higgs.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.