Betelguese

Bmpbmp1975

17 hours ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

I don’t understand what you mean by measurements, 

Funny how you don't understand 'measurements'; a very simple grade school concept.
Yet you have no problem making inquiries, and even predictions, about Betelguese going supernova, or vacuum decay.

Maybe you should concentrate on the simple stuff.

By the way, you are right :doh: .
There is a conspiracy, on this forum, to keep the truth from you, and that is why your threads on vacuum decay keep getting shut down.
The truth is the vacuum is only months away from decay, and it will destroy the universe.
But that won't matter to any of us, since Betelguese will go supernova next week, and destroy all life on Earth.

2 minutes ago, MigL said:

By the way, you are right :doh: .
There is a conspiracy, on this forum, to keep the truth from you, and that is why your threads on vacuum decay keep getting shut down.
The truth is the vacuum is only months away from decay, and it will destroy the universe.
But that won't matter to any of us, since Betelguese will go supernova next week, and destroy all life on Earth.

What? So I am right then ?

5 minutes ago, MigL said:

So maybe start working to understand these simple things, before trying to understand the 'death' of the Universe.
Just a thought.

I am trying to learn but you just said we are months away from vacuum decay 

so I am right in saying it’s going to happen in our lifetime.

so your post before was a lie

So, not very possible, at all.
But what exactly was found at the LHC that would lead you to believe this ?

Edited by Bmpbmp1975

6 minutes ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

so your post before was a lie

So, not very possible, at all.
But what exactly was found at the LHC that would lead you to believe this ?

I leave it up to you to decide which post was the lie.
( apparently the emoji didn't give you a clue )

But I notice you still haven't answered the question...

what exactly was found at the LHC that would lead you to believe this ?

7 minutes ago, MigL said:

I leave it up to you to decide which post was the lie.
( apparently the emoji didn't give you a clue )

But I notice you still haven't answered the question...

what exactly was found at the LHC that would lead you to believe this ?

That the Higgs was found at an unstable condition

it dosent matter since vacuum decay is months away

and I am sorry responses to my posts are mixed with answers, jokes, insults and even at one point and insult about my mom not caring enough for me , btw my mom died when I was 6 months old so I never had the chance to actually know her 

Edited by Bmpbmp1975

55 minutes ago, Ghideon said:

Also: New data just came in, was added since my latest post

https://twitter.com/betelbot/status/1231218065091612672/photo/1

Here is a recent comment on the latest data:

Based on these and additional observations, Betelgeuse has definitely stopped dimming and has started to slowly brighten. Thus this "fainting" episode is over but additional photometry is needed to define the brightening phase.

Posted on 22 Feb 2020, source: http://www.astronomerstelegram.org/?read=13512. At the link more details are available about the specific measurements allowing the above statement to be made.

Sorry about your mom and your childhood.

If you mean that the Higgs boson was found to decay, SO WHAT ???
If you mean that a mass instability was found ( which no-one else has heard about ) and is about to cause vacuum decay, please START an appropriate thread and post the QUOTE and LINK to a reputable article.

( emphasizing all capitalized words, n case you don't understand )

53 minutes ago, MigL said:

Sorry about your mom and your childhood.

If you mean that the Higgs boson was found to decay, SO WHAT ???
If you mean that a mass instability was found ( which no-one else has heard about ) and is about to cause vacuum decay, please START an appropriate thread and post the QUOTE and LINK to a reputable article.

( emphasizing all capitalized words, n case you don't understand )

open it so it can get closed no 

It doesn’t matter anymore 

we only have months to go 

Edited by Bmpbmp1975

Just now, iNow said:

You likely have far less 

Thanks for the update 

1 hour ago, Ghideon said:

Here is a recent comment on the latest data:

Posted on 22 Feb 2020, source: http://www.astronomerstelegram.org/?read=13512. At the link more details are available about the specific measurements allowing the above statement to be made.

Do you think it would ever get as bright as before 

1 hour ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

What? So I am right then ?

Betelguese is just one of several topics I've seen you post about on more than one forum; all leading to doom. Every answer, you twist (and misunderstand) into reinforcing your belief.

You clearly want us all to be doomed.

Medical advice is something you shouldn't get from a web forum, but I think it's acceptable to say that you do need medical advice.

Go find a counsellor or  psychologist to talk to.

Science discussion won't help you. You need to know why you want us all to be doomed.

11 minutes ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

Do you think it would ever get as bright as before 

Good question, do you mean if Betelgeuse's next peak in brightness will be as bright as previously recorded peaks? I do not yet have an opinion:

I made a plot from Betelgeuse brightness data from 1997. From that we see that the maximum brightness in each cycle does not deviate very much. So given the lifespan of stars and the rather consistent behaviour in the data I've available I have no reason to predict that anything special is happening in the next cycle. But note that the last minimum deviates a little and that we at this time we are near the minimum brightness, It has just recently been suggested that the brightness is increasing again. Hence I will not try to predict the next maximum brightness from recent data yet. 

image.png.066aaf1c863c762dc21f2170a618e80d.png

Data and plot thanks to https://www.aavso.org/

*) Someone with more data (and skills of course!) may draw other conclusions. This is my interpretation (since OP asked me). For more reliable info, search for peer reviewed papers.

16 minutes ago, pzkpfw said:

Go find a counsellor or  psychologist to talk to.

Science discussion won't help you. You need to know why you want us all to be doomed.

Doomsday is just fun entertainment to some people. Don't judge...

10 minutes ago, taeto said:

Doomsday is just fun entertainment to some people. Don't judge...

For Bmpbmp1975 this is clearly less entertainment, and more unhealthy obsession. (Even in his reply to you.)

But of course I'm not qualified to judge, and I'm not trying to.

I'm suggesting he or she ought to go see a professional who can.

17 minutes ago, Bmpbmp1975 said:

Yes right finding out we only have a few months to go is a lot of fun. 

!

Moderator Note

I think discussion is the wrong approach for someone who is convinced they "know" something. There's no room for learning when obsession sets in, and it clearly has blocked reasoned thinking in your case. You tend to ignore and pretend not to understand when a reply doesn't support your way of thinking. 

The most appalling strategy you have is to jump to other questions IMMEDIATELY after being told something that should make you STOP and reconsider your whole perspective (stars aren't stationary). You don't bother to take data on board so you can turn it into useful information, or correct flawed thinking on your part. This learning strategy is practically guaranteed to spiral downward into more and more confusion and misinterpretations. It doesn't help you learn what your species has discovered about the universe.

History shows you'll ignore this warning and continue to guess about science while mainstream explanations are offered, and then complain that nobody answers you. This is a form of soapboxing or preaching, and it's against our rules. You're going to start receiving Soapboxing warnings if you keep it up. Suspension and banning could follow.

Whether this is all an act or not, it ends now. We don't allow conspiracy, we don't allow trolling, and we're not well set up to teach you the basics you seem to lack. This is a science discussion forum.