Jump to content
redrobot

toxicity of lead strips in pond water

Recommended Posts

i recently bought some pond plants which came tied with small strips of lead to weight them in the water. i am unsure as to the toxic potential of these strips in the environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, redrobot said:

i recently bought some pond plants which came tied with small strips of lead to weight them in the water. i am unsure as to the toxic potential of these strips in the environment.

Don't worry about it, the lead is, or will be, coated in insoluble and impermeable lead compounds as time passes. Look how how many centuries lead roofing and leaded glass lasts. They wouldn't last if the lead continually reacted with water and gases in the atmosphere. Once it develops that dull tarnish it's sealed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the pond don't worry, you will not drink large amounts of the water. The pipework is  questionable, especially you have lead and copper pipes mixed, so the lead can be dissolved and drinking water should be lead free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is exactly the kind of reasoning why the world is a polluted mess. 

 

1. you tell me not to worry then give me false information

2. you make the false conclusion that because i'm not drinking pond water it's not harmful

 

any toxins put into the environment when we can avoid it is bad. you need to develop an attitude of zero tolerance to pollution

Edited by redrobot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, redrobot said:

this is exactly the kind of reasoning why the world is a polluted mess. 

 

1. you tell me not to worry then give me false information

2. you make the false conclusion that because i'm not drinking pond water it's not harmful

 

any toxins put into the environment when we can avoid it is bad. you need to develop an attitude of zero tolerance to pollution

Don't ask a question if you are already settled on an answer. There is no such thing as perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2020 at 10:46 AM, redrobot said:

i recently bought some pond plants which came tied with small strips of lead to weight them in the water. i am unsure as to the toxic potential of these strips in the environment.

And I am unsure of an answer from the scanty description of your pond and its environment.

The presence of lead is alway a 'potential' hazard the severity of which depends upon circumstances.

If unsure then you could simply change the lead weights for some small stones.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, studiot said:

And I am unsure of an answer from the scanty description of your pond and its environment.

The presence of lead is alway a 'potential' hazard the severity of which depends upon circumstances.

If unsure then you could simply change the lead weights for some small stones.

 

What circumstances would they be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, redrobot said:

any toxins put into the environment when we can avoid it is bad. you need to develop an attitude of zero tolerance to pollution

Then I suggest you end your bloodline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Don't ask a question if you are already settled on an answer. There is no such thing as perfect.

if we had been following yr advice we wd all be drinking out of lead pipes. dont try and make me sound bigoted 

1 minute ago, zapatos said:

Then I suggest you end your bloodline

you are saying i am toxic. that's flaming from within the group aimed at escalation and termination of argument. ok. i got the information by default.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, redrobot said:

you are saying i am toxic. that's flaming from within the group aimed at escalation and termination of argument. ok. i got the information by default.

"Zero tolerance to pollution" buddy. Don't be a hypocrite.

Edited by zapatos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zapatos said:

"Zero tolerance to pollution" buddy. Don't be a hypocrite.

 

'buddy' = vaguely aggressive. not acceptable. what are you defending? bad science

 

 

Edited by redrobot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
!

Moderator Note

As noted, you have had good answers. If you don't like them then you would need to produce evidence that shows them to be wrong, not just resort to insulting people. (And that goes for everybody.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.