toxicity of lead strips in pond water

redrobot

1 hour ago, redrobot said:

i recently bought some pond plants which came tied with small strips of lead to weight them in the water. i am unsure as to the toxic potential of these strips in the environment.

Don't worry about it, the lead is, or will be, coated in insoluble and impermeable lead compounds as time passes. Look how how many centuries lead roofing and leaded glass lasts. They wouldn't last if the lead continually reacted with water and gases in the atmosphere. Once it develops that dull tarnish it's sealed.

this is exactly the kind of reasoning why the world is a polluted mess. 

1. you tell me not to worry then give me false information

2. you make the false conclusion that because i'm not drinking pond water it's not harmful

any toxins put into the environment when we can avoid it is bad. you need to develop an attitude of zero tolerance to pollution

Edited by redrobot

20 minutes ago, redrobot said:

this is exactly the kind of reasoning why the world is a polluted mess. 

1. you tell me not to worry then give me false information

2. you make the false conclusion that because i'm not drinking pond water it's not harmful

any toxins put into the environment when we can avoid it is bad. you need to develop an attitude of zero tolerance to pollution

Don't ask a question if you are already settled on an answer. There is no such thing as perfect.

On 2/19/2020 at 10:46 AM, redrobot said:

i recently bought some pond plants which came tied with small strips of lead to weight them in the water. i am unsure as to the toxic potential of these strips in the environment.

And I am unsure of an answer from the scanty description of your pond and its environment.

The presence of lead is alway a 'potential' hazard the severity of which depends upon circumstances.

If unsure then you could simply change the lead weights for some small stones.

9 minutes ago, studiot said:

And I am unsure of an answer from the scanty description of your pond and its environment.

The presence of lead is alway a 'potential' hazard the severity of which depends upon circumstances.

If unsure then you could simply change the lead weights for some small stones.

What circumstances would they be?

59 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Don't ask a question if you are already settled on an answer. There is no such thing as perfect.

if we had been following yr advice we wd all be drinking out of lead pipes. dont try and make me sound bigoted 

1 minute ago, zapatos said:

Then I suggest you end your bloodline

you are saying i am toxic. that's flaming from within the group aimed at escalation and termination of argument. ok. i got the information by default.

7 minutes ago, redrobot said:

you are saying i am toxic. that's flaming from within the group aimed at escalation and termination of argument. ok. i got the information by default.

"Zero tolerance to pollution" buddy. Don't be a hypocrite.

Edited by zapatos