Corona virus general questions mega thread

There's always 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, or a 5% Hypochlorite solution made from household bleach and water, Stringy.

What purity IPA are you buying anyway ?
Standard drug store stuff is only 50-75 % IPA.
( AKA rubbing alcohol )

Edited by MigL

43 minutes ago, MigL said:

There's always 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, or a 5% Hypochlorite solution made from household bleach and water, Stringy.

What purity IPA are you buying anyway ?
Standard drug store stuff is only 50-75 % IPA.
( AKA rubbing alcohol )

I only occasionally use it to disinfect when I want fast drying. I mostly use it on clear glass/plastic or removing marks as it leaves no smears.. The stuff I got was 99.9%. Normal disinfection is with good old bleach solution.

Edited by StringJunky

3 hours ago, zapatos said:

If you are home and well, where did the virus on your phone come from? 

Hi.  Thanks.

From unbagging the items brought from the supermarket/pharmacy last shopping day,  as an example.  And you were very cautious of going shopping without the phone  -yes, sure-🥴

On 3/20/2020 at 10:07 PM, mathematic said:

I suspect food production will continue.

Yes, but at what price?

Phase 1: All essential businesses continue to operate.
Phase 2: The working staff finds themselves sick.
Phase 3: Shortage of the offer.

3 minutes ago, Kartazion said:

Yes, but at what price?

Phase 1: All essential businesses continue to operate.
Phase 2: The working staff finds themselves sick.
Phase 3: Shortage of the offer.

This brings up a thought on when inadequate testing is done. If you are young and healthy and get mild to medium symptoms, and quarantine until recovered without testing, do you rejoin the workforce assuming you've had it, or rejoin (or not?) requiring maximal protection?

10 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

This brings up a thought on when inadequate testing is done. If you are young and healthy and get mild to medium symptoms, and quarantine until recovered without testing, do you rejoin the workforce assuming you've had it, or rejoin (or not?) requiring maximal protection?

French doctrine is, in fact, not to test people with symptoms of the coronavirus, except for serious or complicated cases.

In several weeks we will acquire some experience. So yes there will be a drastic protocol before you can operate in the professional field.
For the moment our agents in France, whether they are police officers or nurses or workers, are not equipped. So I'll let you do the math.

2 minutes ago, Kartazion said:

French doctrine is, in fact, not to test people with symptoms of the coronavirus, except for serious or complicated cases.

In several weeks we will acquire some experience. So yes there will be a drastic protocol before you can operate in the professional field.
For the moment our agents in France, whether they are police officers or nurses or workers, are not equipped. So I'll let you do the math.

Is there any test to tell if you've had it, if you've recovered?

24 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Is there any test to tell if you've had it, if you've recovered?

I do not know. Neither in immunity. CharonY will surely be able to answer us on this subject.

But from what I heard, is that there is a case of recidivism at covid-19 in Japan; we can catch it a second time.
Which brings up the question of knowing, and this because of chloroquine, would it not be for life in our body like paludism?

Edited by Kartazion

1 hour ago, Externet said:

Hi.  Thanks.

From unbagging the items brought from the supermarket/pharmacy last shopping day,  as an example.  And you were very cautious of going shopping without the phone  -yes, sure-🥴

You need to wipe down the items that might be contaminated once; not continue to keep touching a possibly contaminated item then wash your hands continuously. It's important we use common sense.

1 minute ago, iNow said:

Ooh, where can we buy that?!?

It's sold out now as the 'panic buyers' bought it all up. Unfortunately it is now on a shelf in their basements behind the 200 rolls of toilet paper and 50# sacks of dried Navy beans.

We’ve been hoarding ignorance for decades in this country. Planting and cultivating it. Harvest time is now here. 

What matters most to me is what we plant next season once the proverbial soil is tilled. 

1 minute ago, iNow said:

We’ve been hoarding ignorance for decades in this country. Planting and cultivating it. Harvest time is now here. 

Very well put. Maybe something as impactful as a pandemic will change our direction.

9 hours ago, iNow said:

We bought a few bottles of isopropyl a week before everything began shutting down. Now we put it in a spray bottle and hit our devices with a few mists each day. 

Hope you dilute it down to 60-80 % first.

6 hours ago, Kartazion said:

I do not know. Neither in immunity. CharonY will surely be able to answer us on this subject.

But from what I heard, is that there is a case of recidivism at covid-19 in Japan; we can catch it a second time.
Which brings up the question of knowing, and this because of chloroquine, would it not be for life in our body like paludism?

There is an antibody based test (several actually) but not sure how well it works and whether they are put to test yet.

So far all reinfections are suspected to be failure in tests. There is no strong evidence that folks get sick again (for now).

9 hours ago, zapatos said:

You need to wipe down the items that might be contaminated once; not continue to keep touching a possibly contaminated item then wash your hands continuously. It's important we use common sense.

I think these minimum measures should be systematic. This poses a real problem when shopping at the supermarket.

Here are the facts: Coronavirus lives for hours in air particles and days on surfaces

1 hour ago, Kartazion said:

Very curious about the title of that link. 

So the virus lives for a while, then it dies? When is it pronounced dead? After losing an envelope? Or its own capsid?

What kind of 'air particle' does it inhabit? Does it need protective cover, or is it possibly just its own 'air particle' like a tiny dust grain?

Similar questions for 'living on a (hard) surface'.

8 minutes ago, taeto said:

Sorry to be a stickler for wanting to know what words mean 😉.

In French we have an expression that says: 'ça veut dire ce que ça veut dire'
Apparently it doesn't work with google translate :rolleyes:  Sorry about that.

8 minutes ago, Kartazion said:

In French we have an expression that says: 'ça veut dire ce que ça veut dire'
Apparently it doesn't work with google translate :rolleyes:  Sorry about that.

I cannot find it either. Anyway, it means what it means 😂

The exact words are: 'ça veut bien dire ce que ça veut dire'
http://www.qalc.fr/question/expression-veut-bien-dire-elle-433796

The cleanest expression found in the dictionary is 'ça dit bien ce que ça veut dire'
https://la-conjugaison.nouvelobs.com/definition/ca_dit_bien_ce_que_ca_veut_dire.php

But let's not lose the essential. CharonY what do you think about this study, and what are the risks involved for us in everyday life?

32 minutes ago, Kartazion said:

The exact words are: 'ça veut bien dire ce que ça veut dire'
http://www.qalc.fr/question/expression-veut-bien-dire-elle-433796

The cleanest expression found in the dictionary is 'ça dit bien ce que ça veut dire'
https://la-conjugaison.nouvelobs.com/definition/ca_dit_bien_ce_que_ca_veut_dire.php

That doesn't clear up anything.

1 hour ago, Kartazion said:

Reuters wrote it like that: Coronavirus can persist in air for hours and on surfaces for days

It means what it means.

And that's just a headline... Reasonable preventitive measures are good enough (you must know them by now) to provide a break, even if the headlines are real; which, BTW, are more likely to demotivate the populous to adhere to "the reasonable preventitive measures" in favour of blind panic.

Thanks for pointing it out. .. 🙄

The difference between fear and panic is a fine line to tread and headlines wear clown shoes.