Corona virus general questions mega thread

It  is difficult to be certain. Incubation time is an estimate itself is skewed toward symptomatic cases. For example you take the time point of a known contact with an infectious person and look when the secondary infection results in symptoms. The issue of course is if the contact happened in asymptomatic cases the data becomes kind of invisible and in pre-symptomatic cases one need to backtrack the contact, which can be tricky. So essentially those cases can only be estimated.

That being said, in the early phases of infection viral particle counts are still low, so there is unlikely a lot viral shedding going on. There have been a handful reports of asymptomatic transmission, so it is a possibility, but data is too scarce so far to be actually certain how likely it is. It does seem to be much rarer than symptomatic transmission, but at the same time, asymptomatic transmission are also somewhat easier missed.

As a whole I think the data so far suggests that pre- or asymptomatic transmission is probably not a major driver,  but there are a handful of studies (most not reviewed yet and based on secondary estimates) that suggest a bigger role. Unfortunately we do not have certainty either way yet, the disease is just too new.

I have been following the Covid19 Pandemic and I have noticed that it is highly associated to poor hygeine practices that results in one being infected, (in a nutshell).  

I have several questions that I would like to know, however firstly some points. 
The rate of spread of the virus in Africa is slower than the rest of the World, some might try and relate it to the climate and weather conditions in Africa however we would expect other countries wit the same or similar weather and climatic conditions.

As I stay in Africa and I watch on a daily bases the poor practises this draws me to several conclusions. 
1. The virus hasn't arrived, and has been managed: The reported cases cases of Covid19 infections are isolated cases and have been handles with swiftness by the infected individuals and medical teams. 
2. Cases are not being reported: If cases are not being reported that means the intervention of officials wont happen however we should see an increased death rate, but this is not the case however if the cases do happen with out increased death rate it is logical to suppose a form of immunity. 
3. The Africans have a form of immunity against Covid19: Based on he fact that in Africa most individuals have been infected by a lot of diseases that have a wide range of antigens, there is a slim chance that a highly common African Pathogen has/could have acted as an attenuated vaccine with respect to Covid19. Also possible is the fact that there could be a a cell receptor or absence of it on African cell membranes that the virus finds or fails to locate , that results in Africans being Carriers of the virus. this will be ruled out dependent on the type of testing conducted.

if possible can someone please provide me with the mechanism of replication of Covid19, if it has been drafted.
Online Data of Covid19 Patients, and those that have recovered. 

37 minutes ago, JeffMetha said:

if possible can someone please provide me with the mechanism of replication of Covid19, if it has been drafted.
Online Data of Covid19 Patients, and those that have recovered. 

You probably are aware of this one already but it's a good starting point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_coronavirus_pandemic

I've seen some news reports where you could infer that you are roughly 50% more likely to get it if blood type A, than blood type O. Nothing clear why.

Corona virus are people just overeacting ? Now, no.

Today, as of March 20, 2020, there are 14,366 cases of covid-19 in the United States. live of cases https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Americans must make the political decision adopted by China, Italy, France and Spain, and many other countries.
Namely a complete confinement of residents to their homes. Without this, within a week the number of cases of covid-19 in the United States could be 70,000 people as of March 27, 2020.
For another week, as of April 3, 2020, the number of cases would be 500,000 people.
Between 2 and 3 million people by April 10, 2020.
Several tens of millions within a full month.

In France almost 34% of those infected are hospitalized, and around 10% are in intensive care. 

It is very likely that the rate of contamination in France, is largely underestimated. French doctrine is, in fact, not to test people with symptoms of the coronavirus, except for serious or complicated cases. Which would explain that.

Fortunately there is already containment in the state of New York, but has reached an evolution of 80% per day this March 18 and 19.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_pandemic_in_New_York_(state)
Capture.PNG.2a85deb7cd2288e3291549900c93244c.PNG

I've been wondering. We know right now products are scarce from panic buying. But will we see a supply chain break? Chinas factories went down for a couple weeks. Will we see a few weeks period of certain products being scarce from a break in the supply chain? 

Edited by Not_Too_Open_Minded

Greetings, hoping it is a good healthy day for all.

Quarantine and isolations appear not reflecting the number of reported new cases.

The isolation should work;
The quarantine not; because quarantine is a truncated isolation and 'discounted' to fourteen instead of forty days (if any works).  The next day after quarantine has elapsed, a person is in the exact risk situation as before day one, if not more as surrounding infected population will be more.

If an entire country gets rid successfully of the disease; a single infected person anywhere else in the planet can start it all over again.

What are you planning for the moment you get infected, what will be your actions ?

Been a pleasure to mingle with you all at ScienceForums BC -before Corona-

5 minutes ago, Externet said:

What are you planning for the moment you get infected, what will be your actions ?

We won't know that moment and that's just part of the problem, because without a comprehensive local testing regime (rolled out globally), we may as well not bother testing.

if its blood group related makes perfect sense now. 

see Corona-viruses have a protein called spike protein so this protein attaches itself on host cells then spikes them enter into the cell and replicate, 

so Blood groups they are simply saying you have the A type "Cell membrane" and B type means B type membrane , AB means hybrid of A and B type O means you are neutral type  
(this explanation is not academically correct, but it makes one understand) so this Spike Protein might have higher affinity for A type 

same time this is Wikipedia 😮😌

1 hour ago, Externet said:

Actually my wife and I have discussed this. Fortunately for us we can add some distance if only one of us is infected. Our plan is:

- The sick person stays in the lower level of our home which has its own bedroom, bathroom, kitchen sink, microwave, television, and door to the outside.

- Well person stays upstairs and takes care of all animals and supplies cooked food.

- Ill person does their own dishes.

- Luckily for us I found a handful of N95 masks in my workshop.

- Hope like hell that sick person doesn't need care, otherwise entire plan might go to hell in a handcart (which is an appropriate phrase as its origin comes from hauling the dead off the streets of London in handcarts to protect horses during the plague.)

12 minutes ago, zapatos said:

- Hope like hell that sick person doesn't need care, otherwise entire plan might go to hell in a handcart (which is an appropriate phrase as its origin comes from hauling the dead off the streets of London in handcarts to protect horses during the plague.)

Did not know that, it brings a new understanding to this:

Quarantine and isolations appear not reflecting the number of reported new cases.

People in quarantine are e.g. family members of infected individuals, friends, colleagues, coworkers, accidentally met people (e.g. flying the same airplane, traveling the same bus, having diner in the same restaurant etc. etc.) by confirmed infected person. They are in isolation until there are visible symptoms (if they are ill) or until there is sense of making test on them after a few days in isolation to avoid chance of transmission. Test is repeated couple times to be sure of results. If tests are, in a couple few days, negative, person is released from quarantine as he or she was not infected.

Edited by Sensei

!

Moderator Note

Okay. I have moved a number of threads and posts into this thread and renamed it (from, "The sitting duck feeling"). We do not need a dozen threads asking similar or the same questions, so in an effort to reduce the clutter I have moved a number of threads and posts into this thread and renamed it (from, "The sitting duck feeling"). I am sorry if this has made the thread a little confusing, but I'm sure we can all manage. I have also merged several threads specifically addressing the topic of antivirals against COVID-19, found here

I have an idea for easy to implement method to keep people at home:

Simply give them free access to Netflix/Steam for a couple months.

They will be too busy to watch the all movies or play games (with premium enabled).

It will be especially efficient in areas with small percentage of users of these platforms.

Edited by Sensei

You just washed your hands again, and you feel like a good person doing it.

Immediately you grab the phone on one hand and the tv control on the other, to stay on top of the chats and news as the confinement is too boring.

Those items, with all the hand prints and mouth sprays exactly as before washing your hands.  What good did washing the hands if everyone has no gonads to live without a phone on your face day and night asking when will this illness chapter end ?

Then starting to complain that you ran out of masks and you need to go to the supermarket.  The stupid all-disposable habit does not allow to wash or disinfect or dip in acetone, alcohol, whatever the masks, but keep asking  when will this illness chapter end ? 😒

You just washed your hands again, and you feel like a good person doing it.

Immediately you grab the phone on one hand and the tv control on the other, to stay on top of the chats and news as the confinement is too boring.

Those items, with all the hand prints and mouth sprays exactly as before washing your hands.  What good did washing the hands if everyone has no gonads to live without a phone on your face day and night asking when will this illness chapter end ?

Then starting to complain that you ran out of masks and you need to go to the supermarket.  The stupid all-disposable habit does not allow to wash or disinfect or dip in acetone, alcohol, whatever the masks, but keep asking  when will this illness chapter end ? 😒

If you are home and well, where did the virus on your phone come from? 

You should wash your hands after they were at risk of being contaminated; touching public doorknobs, shaking hands, using a keypad to enter your PIN, using a shopping cart, caring for a sick person, etc. If you are sitting at home to isolate yourself from the coronavirus, you are not sick, and people are not coming and going, the phone and remote will remain coronavirus-free. No need to obsessively wash your hands.

Edited by zapatos

14 minutes ago, zapatos said:

If you are home and well, where did the virus on your phone come from? 

You should wash your hands after they were at risk of being contaminated; touching public doorknobs, shaking hands, using a keypad to enter your PIN, using a shopping cart, caring for a sick person, etc. If you are sitting at home to isolate yourself from the coronavirus, you are not sick, and people are not coming and going, the phone and remote will remain coronavirus-free. No need to obsessively wash your hands.

This seems reasonable if home alone, no one else has been in for some time, and you don't expect anyone to come into your home.

1 hour ago, CharonY said:

Phones can be cleaned with isopropanol, for example.

At £32/L? That's a cheap one now. According to a chemical retailer the wholesale price has gone up 12x . It looks like I've been ripped off elsewhere on a litre atm which was £8... no show.  Not a safe thing to try and buy at this point. I always have it in for glass cleaning etc.