freezing water

timharvey027

Thanks John,

For very big safe, substitute if for incerdibly thick streel box which would not expand or burst. The point of my question is, if water atoms are confined so they CANNOT expand surely they would not freeze, just slow down even at minus 200...what do you think?

I could be mistaken here, but natural water without any additive being added I was always lead to believe that when the temperature dropped below freezing that water would freeze, and when the temperature rises water expands and becomes liquid. In a car cooling system without antifreeze mixture added back in the early days the engines cooling systems used to freeze and no damage was caused during that period, but when the cooling system water temperature did rise again the increase in pressure in the cooling system engine block would force the core plugs out, and sometimes crack the block. I never experienced a cracked block with a frozen engine before thawing out  

I understand also that it is possible to get freeze burns from cold liquids and gasses like R134a, but whether the liquid/gas while the temperature is dropping below freezing is actually expanding outwards I don't know, and if that were the case, would that not cause physical damage to the components?