Could non-ionising radiation induce oxidative stress?

I’m a bit concerned about phone radiation. I read a paper saying this:

NIR interferes with the oxidative repair mechanisms resulting in oxidative stress, damage to cellular components including DNA, and damage to cellular processes leading to cancer. 

Is there any truth behind this? Here’s the link:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/27903411/

One study finding a possible issue is not very concerning.  Work has been ongoing for at least 40 years on the health effects of nonionizing radiation and no clear dangers have been found, so I would not be concerned.

However, if everyone who has cell phone starts dropping dead I will withdraw this post...🙂

52 minutes ago, Bufofrog said:

Work has been ongoing for at least 40 years on the health effects of nonionizing radiation and no clear dangers have been found, so I would not be concerned.

That's why the regulations concerning the use of X rays have been constantly strengthened over those 40 years?

The real question is not "does it have an effect" but rather "if it has an effect, how important is it?" For instance, the question of cell phones causing brain cancer has been brought up and studied. All studies seem to show that there is no statistical difference in disease rates among users of cells vs non-users-- but we're talking about very low rates, so a single case "actually caused" by the radiation" would appear as just a random variation in the data....The risk is so low. it's lost as noise in the data.

When confronted with questions about health risks, I always like to point out that about 1 in every 10,000 Americans gets slaughtered in a car accident every year, yet nobody avoids using a car because of that level of risk..How many people die of exposure to glyphosate, GMO foods etc etc  or cell phones every year? Should you waste time worrying about those when using a car doesn't warrant concern?

1 hour ago, guidoLamoto said:

The real question is not "does it have an effect" but rather "if it has an effect, how important is it?" For instance, the question of cell phones causing brain cancer has been brought up and studied. All studies seem to show that there is no statistical difference in disease rates among users of cells vs non-users-- but we're talking about very low rates, so a single case "actually caused" by the radiation" would appear as just a random variation in the data....The risk is so low. it's lost as noise in the data.

When confronted with questions about health risks, I always like to point out that about 1 in every 10,000 Americans gets slaughtered in a car accident every year, yet nobody avoids using a car because of that level of risk..How many people die of exposure to glyphosate, GMO foods etc etc  or cell phones every year? Should you waste time worrying about those when using a car doesn't warrant concern?

Could it be possible though? Could non-ionising radiation damage oxidative repair mechanisms resulting in cancer through Oxidative stress?

1 hour ago, studiot said:

That's why the regulations concerning the use of X rays have been constantly strengthened over those 40 years?

Yes.  Ionizing radiation is certainly dangerous in doses higher than background.  X-Ray machine technology continues to decrease the dosage while increasing resolution.

20 minutes ago, Hshshdndjjshs said:

Could it be possible though? Could non-ionising radiation damage oxidative repair mechanisms resulting in cancer through Oxidative stress?

It is certainly possible, but the effects would be very small since studies to this point have not shown a clear correlation.

4 minutes ago, Bufofrog said:

Yes.  Ionizing radiation is certainly dangerous in doses higher than background.  X-Ray machine technology continues to decrease the dosage while increasing resolution.

It is certainly possible, but the effects would be very small since studies to this point have not shown a clear correlation.

So it’s possible but nothing to worry about because it won’t cause harm?

1 minute ago, Hshshdndjjshs said:

So it’s possible but nothing to worry about because it won’t cause harm?

I don't worry about it.  I can't say it won't cause harm because I don't know that.  If cell phone use caused 1 cancer per 100,000 then it does cause harm but the risk is acceptable for me.