Physics of video games

ScienceNostalgia101

I'm not sure whether this belongs in the physics of movies thread or not, but I figure I should have a spearate thread for video games given the interactive nature of the medium.

In one part of Kaizo Mario 3, Mario is temporarily in projectile motion, until his trajectory crosses paths with a waterfall. At this point, the viscosity of his surroundings is no longer negligible, and therefore, he can push his feet downward against the water to propel himself upward.

I assume it's exaggerated, and that one couldn't possible propel oneself to THAT extent in real life. But at the same time, this leaves me wondering whether it's possible to "slightly" propel oneself this way, or not at all because it violates conservation of momentum. I know in horizontal motion, one can swim by pushing the water back and therefore propelling oneself forward; it's a matter of encountering less water resistance when putting your hands in front of you than when pushing the water behind you. Could the same thing work vertically? Does it depend on whether one positions oneself for it before entering the waterfall or after?

Edited by ScienceNostalgia101

Human could not swim upwards, against the waterfall. The body is too weak for such a task. But some fishes do it at least once in their lives e.g. salmon must return from the sea to the river in which it was born. And they must to swim upstream waterfalls. Search net for keywords salmon and waterfall for videos how they do it.

Edited by Sensei

• 10 months later...

Gah, forgot about this thread until now. Thank you for the info on salmon, Sensei.

In the meantime, another question now, hopefully I'll remember to check the thread more frequently, and it is also on the topic of fluid dynamics.

WARNING: Game portrays graphic violence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU9e_7QRF5A#t=1m27s

In Ninja Gaiden Black, an airship is flying through a cloud during a thunderstorm. There appears to be no gap between the cloud and the windows. Assailants break open an exterior window attempting to attack the protagonist, and none of the mist from the cloud appears to wet the inside surfaces of the airship. I'll put aside whether or not it's at a high enough altitude for explosive decompression, but if, let's say, the motion of the cloud were either parallel or antiparallel to the motion of the airship (ie. no perpendicular components) would air and/or moisture be more likely to enter the airship or leave the airship? Would small enough liquid water droplets be in simple random motion analogous to the air molecules, or moving directly parallel to the outdoor airflow? Would the turbulence of the airflow ensure that some liquid water droplets made it inside if only by simple random chance?

• 3 months later...

image.png.90e95ac6eadc24ab04c0951c7e27a204.png

In this level from Super Mario Bros. 3 (the real deal, not a fan game thereof) there is a region of trapped air surrounded above and to the sides by airtight walls, and surrounded from below by water. However, the adjacent airtight compartment is filled to the top. Would it be possible to achieve this sort of thing in real life by siphoning the water out of compartment B and into compartment A, and/or siphoning the air out of compartment A and into compartment B, or would differences in fluid pressure prevent that?

4 minutes ago, ScienceNostalgia101 said:

image.png.90e95ac6eadc24ab04c0951c7e27a204.png

In this level from Super Mario Bros. 3 (the real deal, not a fan game thereof) there is a region of trapped air surrounded above and to the sides by airtight walls, and surrounded from below by water. However, the adjacent airtight compartment is filled to the top. Would it be possible to achieve this sort of thing in real life by siphoning the water out of compartment B and into compartment A, and/or siphoning the air out of compartment A and into compartment B, or would differences in fluid pressure prevent that?

This is like an inverted glass submerged in water.

If the region started out full of water, you could transfer air in and it would displace water

Ah... so if someone put a tube of air through that green pipe, and into compartment B, the air would then force the water out of compartment B while still allowing it to remain full in compartment A? Would the air pressure it takes to get air into compartment B then depend on the column height in compartment A, or on the column height in the surroundings outside of both compartments? (Ie. Assuming both compartments were at the bottom of some body of water?)

48 minutes ago, ScienceNostalgia101 said:

Ah... so if someone put a tube of air through that green pipe, and into compartment B, the air would then force the water out of compartment B while still allowing it to remain full in compartment A? Would the air pressure it takes to get air into compartment B then depend on the column height in compartment A, or on the column height in the surroundings outside of both compartments? (Ie. Assuming both compartments were at the bottom of some body of water?)

I don’t see a green pipe

Yes, the pressure you’d need depends on the height of the water column

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, StanleyWright said:

Im really sorry for bumping old thread. Just searching similar information. Can someone help me?

Not if you're going to be this vague. "Similar information" is too broad to be helpful. Can you be specific about the help you need?

13 hours ago, StanleyWright said:

Moment please, I need info about Kaizo Mario 3 and character physics of this game

Looks pretty straight forward to me.

Each object has a x,y or x,y,z location.

Each object has a velocity vector vx,vy or vx,vy,vz.

Each object has an acceleration vector ax,ay or ax,ay,az. And there is general g acceleration downward (y).

d=1/2*a*t^2 is general equation of how far object will fly with given acceleration, after t seconds.

So, you add it to character position, and just animate acceleration vector.

e.g. user presses left or right arrow to move character, you change ax accordingly, user presses jump, you change ay vector, and the main routine (executed to update every frame of the game), based on it, modifies vx,vy[,vz] and they modify x,y[,z]. Then you do collision detection, to see if character or object can be moved in such direction or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collision_detection#Video_games

Show code of your game.

On 4/3/2022 at 2:25 AM, Sensei said:

Looks pretty straight forward to me.

Each object has a x,y or x,y,z location.

Each object has a velocity vector vx,vy or vx,vy,vz.

Each object has an acceleration vector ax,ay or ax,ay,az. And there is general g acceleration downward (y).

d=1/2*a*t^2 is general equation of how far object will fly with given acceleration, after t seconds.

So, you add it to character position, and just animate acceleration vector.

e.g. user presses left or right arrow to move character, you change ax accordingly, user presses jump, you change ay vector, and the main routine (executed to update every frame of the game), based on it, modifies vx,vy[,vz] and they modify x,y[,z]. Then you do collision detection, to see if character or object can be moved in such direction or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collision_detection#Video_games

Darmowe gry  https://www.slotozilla.com/pl/automaty automaty przestrzenie internetowe to niesamowita metoda inwestowania energii, która nie tylko wypełnia się jako opcja dla osób, które wolą nie palić gotówki na otwarciach w klubach hazardowych. Tego rodzaju gry są fascynujące same w sobie, a ogromna liczba różnych tytułów dostępnych od twórców napędów oznacza, że pod każdym względem każdy znajdzie coś dla siebie. Wszystkie wolne przestrzenie prezentowane przez nasz obraz mają fascynujące tematy, więc nie czekaj i graj teraz!

Show code of your game.

Thanks dude!

Edited by StanleyWright