Lucid Dreaming Reality Checks Don't Work

Just now, nevim said:

Nobody in their right mind ‘tries’ to get sleep paralysis- it’s hideous. I’ve had it since childhood although never at night - it always happens during siestas. 

But lucid dreams are/can be great.

I understand, but I've heard that you can turn sleep paralysis to lucid dreams because you tend to hallucinate during them.

9 minutes ago, Carl Fredrik Ahl said:

How do you get those sleep paralysis? Do you just go to sleep normaly and that happens sometimes by itself?

How did you get sleep paralysis last time? Did you try or did it happen by itself?

I'm guessing it occurs when you wake up suddenly from a bad dream before the chemicals that relax your muscles have dissipated.

35 minutes ago, Carl Fredrik Ahl said:

I understand, but I've heard that you can turn sleep paralysis to lucid dreams because you tend to hallucinate during them.

Yes, you can, but it requires a lot of effort to relax yourself back to sleep when all you want to do is fight it.

1 hour ago, Carl Fredrik Ahl said:

How do you get those sleep paralysis?

I am unsure of the cause but suspect it is more likely after a day of strenuous physical activity.  It probably happens once every month or two.  When I was married, I would struggle to speak (yell) to get the attention of my partner.  Now I try to move an arm or sit up and succeed after what seems like eternity.  Often there is sense of a threatening intruder leading to panic, but it has happened where the paralysis occurred without threat and I experienced an enjoyable state of relaxation.  But that is very rare.  I agree with nevim, it's hideous.

2 hours ago, nevim said:

I’ve had it since childhood although never at night

My first experience was about the age of 14.  I dreamt there was a demon in the room; I could "see" a ghostly white figure reflecting on the wall.  I believed for a long time after that I was "possessed".  Years later I learned that sleep paralysis is a common experience.