Need help getting spectroscopy software

nitrosleep

Hello scienceforums. I am an undergrad doing research and our chemistry department recently purchased those thermofischer SPEC200E's. Fischer scientific the geniuses they are made it so In order to get the actual spectra onto a pc you need some 600 dollar software, being VisionLite 5. You can get a calibration curve from the machine via usb but not spectra. I was just wondering if anyone has some opensource that can work with the machine or maybe a copy of said software would be much appreciated, thanks. 

45 minutes ago, nitrosleep said:

I was just wondering if anyone has some opensource that can work with the machine or maybe a copy of said software would be much appreciated, thanks.

No one here is going to help obtain illegal copies of the software, I'm afraid. I have had a quick look at a user manual for the machine you have, and I'm not too sure why you need the software, which is mostly for processing (and for which there are a number of free alternatives). The display screen on the unit should show you the data output from full scans etc. when you run them, which you are able to pick peaks on and read out absorbances. From what I can tell, the machine can be connected to a printer and you can use that to print out anything you see on the display screen. It's not overly sophisticated, but I can't think of any free software that operates in the way you need. 

2 minutes ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

No one here is going to help obtain illegal copies of the software, I'm afraid. I have had a quick look at a user manual for the machine you have, and I'm not too sure why you need the software, which is mostly for processing (and for which there are a number of free alternatives). The display screen on the unit should show you the data output from full scans etc. when you run them, which you are able to pick peaks on and read out absorbances. From what I can tell, the machine can be connected to a printer and you can use that to print out anything you see on the display screen. It's not overly sophisticated, but I can't think of any free software that operates in the way you need. 

Obtaining the spectra graph data and being able to throw it into excel to compare it to other kinds as we're analyzing our shit DI system to figure out why it's causing problems with experiments. Thanks anyways. 

On 1/29/2020 at 2:23 AM, hypervalent_iodine said:

From what I can tell, the machine can be connected to a printer and you can use that to print out anything you see on the display screen. It's not overly sophisticated, but I can't think of any free software that operates in the way you need. 

If device allows printing to the real printer he could try to make virtual printer on his PC and device will send him the all data and PDF or Postscript file will be generated on the computer disk..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_printer

Later image can be analized and spectral lines extracted.