The Science of Rights

Mike10-4

In 1776 Thomas Jefferson's philosophy of innate rights:
"unalienable Rights"
"Life Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness."

In 1996 Adrian Bejan's discovery of a new law in thermodynamics:
"constructal law"

"For a flow system to persist in time (to live), it must evolve freely such that it provides greater access to its currents."

Today we explore the science of rights with the following correlation:
For a flow system to persist in time (to live) [Life], it must evolve freely [Liberty] such that it provides greater access [the pursuit of] to its currents [Happiness (
positive feedback)].

This one-to-one mapping of unalienable rights to the constructal law presents a potential paradigm shift for humanity, having philosophical reformation in morality, economics, and the rule of law.

The Axiom of Innate Rights

We may interpret Jefferson’s “unalienable Rights” as life’s innate rights or bio-primitives, found throughout life down to the single-cell level. Primitives that are axiomatic in nature relative to a self-evident truth, transcending a proof, where organic life must have freedom within its domain in the pursuit of survival; otherwise, there is no life. Underlying the time and energy expended, or the work involved, in the pursuit of survival or any other objective, supports the notion that most accomplishments result in some form of chemical/electrical positive feedback or happiness for humans.

The simplicity of life’s innate rights is the self-evident axiom lying within its logic. Relative to the flow of biological life, the formulation of these rights or bio-primitives defines the following logic, where represents conjunction, and represents disjunction:

Flow = Life    Freedom    Energy,                    (1)

No Flow = Death    Tyranny   No_Energy.          (2)

The bio-primitive term “pursuit” is dependent on energy. Equations (1) and (2) represent the ends of a spectrum driven by liberty and energy. In general, this spectrum maintains a direction of constructive flow towards (1) life, and liberty, and happiness (positive feedback), or an unconstructive flow in the opposite direction towards (2) death, or tyranny, or distress (negative feedback).

Therefore, through symmetry, life’s innate rights are an animate version of the constructal law, as the constructal law is axiomatic in the animate domain.

The Constructal Law

Free finite-flow, throughout the universe, generates familiar dendritic patterns in its wake. Those patterns represents the signature of the constructal law across many domains guiding the freedom of flow from the high to low phenomena found within the second law of thermodynamics. Such high to low phenomena also exists in humanity’s tendency to flow from the high resistance of tyranny to a low resistance of freedom; from high taxed to lower taxed opportunities; from high stress to lower stress situations; from the pressure of learning to the relief of understanding, etc.; resulting in dendritic patterns found in traffic, communication, social organization, economics, and so on.

The predictive nature of the constructal law is a function of flow type. For example, the laws of aerodynamics maintain a set of predictive airflow equations for controlled flight. Electron flow has a field of equations, one being Ohms law dealing with current flow. The flow of wealth unites economics with physics in hierarchical distributions. Fluid flow also has its own set of equations, as these predictive flow types follow the constructal law.

Identifying a flow type resulting in dendritic configurations does not imply a predictive relationship. For example, in the evolution of governance, markets, culture, philosophy, etc., any search for prediction may be insolvable. However, the intensity of dendritic configurations can be a tool in recognizing the freedom of flow. The dendritic patterns in the evening satellite image between the south and northern regions on the Korean peninsula, is one empirical example of liberty versus tyranny respectively.

A Case for Teaching Morality in the Classroom

People the world over, and in increasing numbers, are crying out for global civility. Perhaps, the constructal law linking “natural law” to the physical laws of nature may invite a social renaissance. In the shadow of today’s technology outpacing social evolution, ethical education is more important than ever. Throughout many cultures, one’s moral conduct depends on traditional norms, religion and the family’s social environment. In public education today, the teaching of a universal morality (an outgrowth of innate rights, the constructal law) may add fidelity to ethical education. Curricula that treat morality as an attractive force relative to life’s unalienable rights and offer relatable examples taken from life could transform the imagination in ways that support ethical civil understanding. The concept of a universal morality could benefit educational goals in the advancement of civility without interfering with religious freedom and diversity.

16 minutes ago, Mike10-4 said:

The predictive nature of the constructal law is a function of flow type. For example, the laws of aerodynamics maintain a set of predictive airflow equations for controlled flight. Electron flow has a field of equations, one being Ohms law dealing with current flow. The flow of wealth unites economics with physics in hierarchical distributions. Fluid flow also has its own set of equations, as these predictive flow types follow the constructal law.

Excuse me, your examples showing a "predictive nature" leave me confused. How exactly does this idea predict anything? Your use of "flow" seems to be so generalized as to be meaningless, like word salad. "The flow of wealth unites economics with physics in hierarchical distributions." Please persuade me that this has a scientific basis.

2 minutes ago, Bufofrog said:

lets not forget that Jefferson raped at least one of his teenage slaves for crying out loud!

How is that germane? is there some correlation between philosophy of Rights and specific types behaviors by slave owners I am unaware of?

3 hours ago, Phi for All said:

Excuse me, your examples showing a "predictive nature" leave me confused. How exactly does this idea predict anything? Your use of "flow" seems to be so generalized as to be meaningless, like word salad. "The flow of wealth unites economics with physics in hierarchical distributions." Please persuade me that this has a scientific basis.

"The flow of wealth unites economics with physics in hierarchical distributions." See the following article: Wealth inequality: The physics basis 

3 hours ago, Bufofrog said:

This assumes there are unalienable rights.  Even Jefferson did not believe these rights exist, lets not forget that Jefferson raped at least one of his teenage slaves for crying out loud!

Irrespective how Jefferson conducted his life affairs, he unknowingly discovered the physical constructal law.

35 minutes ago, Mike10-4 said:

"The flow of wealth unites economics with physics in hierarchical distributions." See the following article: Wealth inequality: The physics basis 

I had hoped we could discuss this here, as per the rules. You haven't persuaded me in the least that this is something worth going offsite for. I have LOTS of reading to do, but I take time to discuss science via the written word as part of a social interaction. Can't YOU tell me, in your own words, why you feel this concept has predictive powers? You can quote from the article if you like, but please explain how a flow of wealth unites economics with physics. 

4 hours ago, Mike10-4 said:

We may interpret Jefferson’s “unalienable Rights” as life’s innate rights or bio-primitives, found throughout life down to the single-cell level

This seems  too generic. Does Ebola have the same rights as me? 

2 hours ago, Phi for All said:

I had hoped we could discuss this here, as per the rules. You haven't persuaded me in the least that this is something worth going offsite for. I have LOTS of reading to do, but I take time to discuss science via the written word as part of a social interaction. Can't YOU tell me, in your own words, why you feel this concept has predictive powers? You can quote from the article if you like, but please explain how a flow of wealth unites economics with physics. 

Thermodynamics are first principle laws that transcends domain where the constructal law (the law of evolution) is the latest thermodynamic discovery. Dendritic patterns are the signature of the constructal law and those patterns are found throughout economics.

The constructal law has shown that economic activity is closely correlated with the movement of all the streams of society. The annual domestic economic activity of a country (the Gross Domestic Product, GDP) is proportional to the physical movement measured as the amount of fuel consumed annually within a country. Relative to thermodynamics fuel generates power, power drives the movement, and movement dissipates the power as the flow of said movement generates dendritic patterns guided by the constructal law. Hence, wealth unites economics with physics in hierarchical distributions via the constructal law as a function of GDP.  

The article (Wealth inequality: The physics basis) contains the equations along with empirical data that correlates economics in hierarchical distributions. The “predictive power” is the flow of economics relative to hierarchical distributions and has nothing to do with predicting the market.     

2 hours ago, moth said:

This seems  too generic. Does Ebola have the same rights as me? 

“Rights” is the term Jefferson used for humanity. It turns out Jefferson’s innate rights is an axiom that applies to all life. The institution of governance decides whose rights are going to be protected; that is, who lives or dies.

9 minutes ago, Mike10-4 said:

Jefferson’s innate rights is an axiom that applies to all life. The institution of governance decides whose rights are going to be protected; that is, who lives or dies.

The institution of governance says it's an economic decision, who lives or dies. Do 'innate rights' matter if you're defenseless? 

I'm suspicious when i hear about using the mathematics that describe nature to justify economic decisions. Maybe because it cost a few trillion dollars to bail out the banks just a few years ago because of the complex math used to sell the 'derivative' financial products. 

7 hours ago, moth said:

The institution of governance says it's an economic decision, who lives or dies. Do 'innate rights' matter if you're defenseless? 

I'm suspicious when i hear about using the mathematics that describe nature to justify economic decisions. Maybe because it cost a few trillion dollars to bail out the banks just a few years ago because of the complex math used to sell the 'derivative' financial products. 

“Defenseless” is a relative term. One may find inconsistencies across nature with the unalienable right to life in that animal life depends on the killing of other living things (animals or plants) for food. Relative to the energy needed for the flow of life, the world is one big restaurant. Humans are free to dine in a universe where they, in turn, may become the next meal satiating the appetite of parasites, cancer, etc. Nature is neither cruel nor kind; it is indifferent as it gives living organisms the right to life through liberty in the pursuit of survival or happiness (innate rights). Survival includes the evolution of reproductive quantity, self-defense, and hunting skills. In the end, time itself will consume us all when the flow of energy approaches zero.

As for “mathematics” in “economic decisions,” perhaps, linking the physical laws of nature via thermodynamics may improve said “decisions.” For example, Life’s relationship to the first law of thermodynamics is often overlooked. That is, nothing is free! Even the air we breathe is not free, for it takes bio-energy during the pursuit of your next breath and that energy comes from food. Therefore, one has to pursue food in the hunt, farming, pay for it, or from the bondage of others via charity or dictum. 

14 hours ago, zapatos said:

How is that germane? is there some correlation between philosophy of Rights and specific types behaviors by slave owners I am unaware of?

We should not dwell on those “slave owners” of past ages, they are dead and long gone. However, we should focus on those slave owners of today.  One shouldn’t be so righteous, some of the clothes one wears are made by slaves. If you purchased any clothes from those foreign slave labor camps, you too are supporting slavery. In addition, today’s sex trade is a form of slavery. Slavery is alive today throughout the world, and perhaps, education in the science of rights may expedite the evolution towards global civility. For no man-law or philosophy can change a physical law in nature.

12 minutes ago, Sensei said:

..at the same time, they had slaves in their farms and mansions...

So apparently they did not really think the above words..

Irrespective how Jefferson conducted his life affairs, he unknowingly discovered the physical constructal law (the law of evolution). We should not dwell on those slave owners of past ages, they are dead and long gone. However, we should focus on those slave owners of today and their supporters. That is, some of the clothes one wears are made by slaves. If one purchased clothes from those foreign slave labor camps, in most cases, is unintentionally supporting slavery. In addition, today’s sex trade is a form of slavery. Slavery is alive today throughout the world, and perhaps, education in the science of rights may expedite the evolution towards global civility. For no man-law or philosophy can change a physical law in nature. 

13 hours ago, Mike10-4 said:

One may find inconsistencies across nature with the unalienable right to life in that animal life depends on the killing of other living things (animals or plants) for food.

Sounds like my innate rights are to eat and be food. Are there more?

1 hour ago, moth said:

Sounds like my innate rights are to eat and be food. Are there more?

Your innate rights are listed at the beginning of this post. As for, “Are there more?” You may reference our man-made human rights listed in the UN’s Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR). Interesting to note, not one of UDHR’s 30 Articles made reference to our innate rights.   

8 hours ago, moth said:

How do these rights affect constructal theory?
And who is granted these rights. Only Humans?

As stated above, through symmetry, life’s innate rights are an animate version of the constructal law, as the constructal law is axiomatic in the animate domain.

Jefferson’s philosophy of “unalienable Rights” is actually the physical constructal law (see mapping above). In other words, life’s innate rights, or bio-primitives, are no longer a philosophy but a physical law in nature; a law of which no man-made law or philosophy can change.

In general, philosophy guides science, where scientific discovery reforms philosophy; and there is no reason why this cycle should ever end, until the end of reason.

That is, for the flow of philosophical reformation to persist in time (to live) [life], it must evolve freely [liberty], such that it provides greater access [the pursuit of] to the pedagogic currents of nature via discovery [happiness]. Discovery in the atmosphere of freedom, neuron configuration develops from constructal flow, associating cause-and-effect observations to experience to reason, learning to understand and become conscious of, or aware of, or intelligent about, from the positive experience of enlightenment. The evolution of enlightenment, promotes change in the configurations of philosophy, culture, markets, technology, scientific understanding, etc., generating dendritic patterns guided by the physical constructal law all superimposed on the same area (the globe) and in the same volume (the brain). 

5 hours ago, dimreepr said:

does a baby who dies being born have its innate right to life cancled? And by whom?

I’m not sure if I understand your question. Death, extinction, heat death of the universe is inevitable. “And by whom?” By nature! 

4 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

so, if innate rights are death, then I’m not sure it matters what happens!!!

Innate rights: “Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness (positive feedback for all life)”; until death, do we part.

Edited by Mike10-4