COVID-19 outbreak (caused by SARS-CoV-2)

20 minutes ago, fresh said:

this website provides some information

!

Moderator Note

NOTHING on that website is trustworthy as evidence, and if you EVER try to push their filthy, lying conspiracies here at SFN again, I WILL BAN YOU. If that's not clear, then you need to PM me and I will explain it. 

i am still learning, why this person is too hard on me ? PL be kind.

333.thumb.jpg.d8c565dfff6354150f6e6a73be7ed326.jpg

2 minutes ago, Phi for All said:
!

Moderator Note

NOTHING on that website is trustworthy as evidence, and if you EVER try to push their filthy, lying conspiracies here at SFN again, I WILL BAN YOU. If that's not clear, then you need to PM me and I will explain it. 

how do i know that website ? i am foreigner who is learning.

it is TOO hard on me. unfair !!

if i know that website is filthy and lying conspiracies, i did it on purpose, it is my problem, but i know Nothing about that website !!!

Just now, Phi for All said:
!

Moderator Note

You obviously know it well enough to consider their poison and hatred justified, and you posted a link to it here. Repeatedly. Please stop. 

i really don't know !!!

37 minutes ago, fresh said:

Is Dr.James Lyons-Weiler a real virologist ? 

No, his PhD is in Ecology, Evolution & Conservation Biology. He expounds on subjects as though he's an expert; outside of his skillset. He's also an antivaxxer.

Edited by StringJunky

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

He's also an antivaxxer.

That and the fact that he is more into publishing than research are warning signs. It should be noted that he apparently did work in a bioinformatics core facility, but he is not an active researcher and clearly has an agenda.

2 hours ago, fresh said:

how do i know that website ? i am foreigner who is learning.

it is TOO hard on me. unfair !!

Ask yourself, why do reputable media not report on it? 

6 hours ago, fresh said:

Could you do me a favor? list the  reputable media as much as you can. Thanks.

Look where Infowars is in iNow's infographic. It's as fascist right-wing as they come. Associated Press(AP) and Reuters are pretty balanced. 

https://apnews.com/

https://uk.reuters.com/

https://www.reuters.com/news/world

These will state if a report is not verified. I also read Japan Times (In English) to get an Asian perspective of world events.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/

Edited by StringJunky

On 2/18/2020 at 4:47 PM, CharonY said:

Bacterial survival and propagation is hugely different from virus (esp as latter cannot multiply outside host cells). The virus in question is propagated facilitating direct transmission. It affects different organs in different ways. Treatment options are vastly different.

So the comparison would make as much sense as any other two random infectious diseases.

There are many different types of Flu like viruses transmitted by bats/flying foxes/fruit bats and many of the transmission vectors are not very well understood, particularly for things like the Hendra Virus, which has a much higher human death rate than Coronavirus. I wouldn't rule anything out at present.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henipavirus#Hendra_virus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henipavirus

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/backgroundbriefing/outbreak-at-victory-lodge/3564868#transcript

Helen Thomas: That is, I guess, the significant heart of this story at this point. No one is sure exactly how the virus came into being in the first horse, Drama Series - if in fact she was the carrier. There is not a 100% certainty even now that she was the horse that brought the disease to Vic Rail's stables, is there?

Keith Murray: It's the most likely epidemiological circumstance. Nothing is certain in science. I would say it is almost certain that Drama Series is the one that introduced the virus to Vic Rail's stable. But you're right. I mean, where did this thing come from? - we really don't know.

Current Figures from John Hopkins University: Total Confirmed: 75,200, Total Deaths: 2,012, Total Recovered: 14,877 and the ratio of Confirmed/Recovered is 19.78%.

58 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Look where Infowars is in iNow's infographic. It's as fascist right-wing as they come. Associated Press(AP) and Reuters are pretty balanced. 

Mind you, they put the Daily Mail fairly near the centre on both axes. I would put it a bit further right and right near the bottom. They frequently publish lies and completely fabricated stories.

8 hours ago, LaurieAG said:

Confirmed/Recovered is 19.78

Also note that this value is probably not helpful as recovered cases refer to folks that have been hospitalized or otherwise tracked. Folks with mild conditions (ca80%) won't be reported in that group. It is a bit difficult to figure out specifically what proportion of the cases fall under this group (certainly severe ones, but what about mild ones in high-risk groups). The only thing that is certain is that the group with outcomes reported contains the death to recovery ratio, which is about 12% of the cases, which is similar to what has been reported earlier this year on a small patient cohort.

Edit: the first reported case numbers were 41 admitted patients by Jan 2; 6 (15%) died. 

On 2/18/2020 at 5:45 PM, CharonY said:

That and the fact that he is more into publishing than research are warning signs. It should be noted that he apparently did work in a bioinformatics core facility, but he is not an active researcher and clearly has an agenda.

Ask yourself, why do reputable media not report on it? 

In fairness to Fresh, it's worth remembering that the available data on this virus is from the Chinese government- and their first reaction was to pretend that it didn't exist.

It really is hard to find trustworthy data here.

Just now, John Cuthber said:

In fairness to Fresh, it's worth remembering that the available data on this virus is from the Chinese government- and their first reaction was to pretend that it didn't exist.

It really is hard to find trustworthy data here.

Well, this may be a problem, but since there is no other way to gather primary data what else would you go on then? I mean, I do not think that in presence of potentially unreliable data the alternative should be go all out conspiracy. I mean, just because models on how pyramids were built were disputed for some time, it does not mean that aliens suddenly become a viable alternative explanation.

From what I remember there is some lack of clarity whether there was a knowing suppression of knowledge regarding the new disease (there were some reports regarding mysterious illness as ear as December) but it is not clear whether things were actually reported through the highly bureaucratic channels (e.g. local governments ignoring/misreporting the issue) or whether someone in the chain deliberately ignored/obfuscated it. After public acknowledgement the reported numbers were obviously limited to available testing capacities.

15 hours ago, CharonY said:

Also note that this value is probably not helpful as recovered cases refer to folks that have been hospitalized or otherwise tracked. Folks with mild conditions (ca80%) won't be reported in that group. It is a bit difficult to figure out specifically what proportion of the cases fall under this group (certainly severe ones, but what about mild ones in high-risk groups). The only thing that is certain is that the group with outcomes reported contains the death to recovery ratio, which is about 12% of the cases, which is similar to what has been reported earlier this year on a small patient cohort.

Edit: the first reported case numbers were 41 admitted patients by Jan 2; 6 (15%) died.

Yes CharonY, 4 of the Confirmed Infected cases in Australia who recovered were treated with paracetamol. Tonic Water would probably help in those milder cases as well due to the Quinine.

The current John Hopkins University figures are: Total Confirmed: 75,727, Total Deaths: 2,128, Total Recovered: 16,447 and the ratio of Total Recovered/Confirmed is 21.72%.

IMG_20200208_070608.jpg

4 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Through what mechanism?

"Chloroquine might be getting new life as an antiviral treatment for the novel coronavirus that emerged in Wuhan, China in late 2019 and has infected some 25,000 people in more than 25 countries. For decades, the drug was a front-line treatment and prophylactic for malaria.

In a three-page paper published Tuesday in Cell Research, scientists at the Wuhan Institute of Virology’s State Key Laboratory of Virology write that both chloroquine and the antiviral remdesivir were, individually, “highly effective” at inhibiting replication of the novel coronavirus in cell culture. Their drug screen evaluated five other drugs that were not effective. The authors could not be reached for comment."

Quoted from  www.asbmb.org/asbmb-today/science/020620/could-an-old-malaria-drug-help-fight-the-new-coron

It suggests an inhibition of phosphorylase by quinine binding to (viral??) PNP. Unusual. 

Edited by taeto

Quinine is not chloroquine and it's a profound leap from efficacy of DMSO-solubilized active in culture (cell line of green monkey kidney cells) to effective human treatment by oral consumption of tonic water.    Suggest folks read the actual work when it's av (as here) rather than relying on "news" reports.   Here's the letter (it does lack some detail) and please remember - whatever the credentials of its 1st author Manli Wang, this is from China.  We should await other labs reproducing this study and some level of efficacy in relevant or projected practical application   https://www.nature.com/articles/s41422-020-0282-0.pdf

Edited by PhilGeis

26 minutes ago, PhilGeis said:

Quinine is not chloroquine and it's a profound leap from efficacy of DMSO-solubilized active in culture (cell line of green monkey kidney cells) to effective human treatment by oral consumption of tonic water.    Suggest folks read the actual work when it's av (as here) rather than relying on "news" reports.   Here's the letter (it does lack some detail) and please remember - whatever the credentials of its 1st author Manli Wang, this is from China.  We should await other labs reproducing this study and some level of efficacy in relevant or projected practical application   https://www.nature.com/articles/s41422-020-0282-0.pdf

Thanks PG! 

Since the question concerned a possible mechanism, and chloroquine and quinine are known to be similarly effective in treatment of malaria, I suspected that this study might be the origin of the "rumour". Good that you have the actual article, which I did not notice as I was in too much of a hurry.

Not having any understanding of this problem, which seems to be spreading according to the TV news (UK) my main concern (obviously) being me is to ask what is the likely chances of not being infected given that I work with three other UK individuals in a small business. We all live local and we deal with the public in reception each day but most are regular local customers. I've always had a salad lunch and a cooked meal for evening meal. I don't travel much anyway and most of the time stay local to where I live. Is there anything specific to watch out for?