DU conspiracies

Thomas Kirby

Swanson, the way you abused the term "conspiracy theorist" was rude. If you don't have the information, please just say so. It's hard to believe that you are some kind of expert when you don't behave with the decorum and maturity that one would expect of an expert. Using personal attacks, even one so "subtle" as labelling me a conspiracy theorist, to distract me from my topic and to possibly get me in trouble for answering back, is not indicative of emotional maturity, scientific knowledge, any intent to behave like an adult, or, really, anything that would validate you as a person of status. The whole point of playing such games would seem to be to make me think that there is a conspiracy where none exists. Which actually is a conspiracy, but you get to pretend it isn't and I'm crazy and you're honest.

Now, a conspiracy theorist would definitely think, when they see something like this, that you were indeed one of the conspirators. He might not want to take the time to try to figure out whether you are a real conspirator, or someone who just wants "loonies" to think that there is one.

As you already know, what angers an honest man about this is that you get to dis me and I will be punished, maybe banned from this board eventually, if I answer back.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Swanson' date=' the way you abused the term "conspiracy theorist" was rude. If you don't have the information, please just say so. It's hard to believe that you are some kind of expert when you don't behave with the decorum and maturity that one would expect of an expert. Using personal attacks, even one so "subtle" as labelling me a conspiracy theorist, to distract me from my topic and to possibly get me in trouble for answering back, is not indicative of emotional maturity, scientific knowledge, any intent to behave like an adult, or, really, anything that would validate you as a person of status. The whole point of playing such games would seem to be to make me think that there is a conspiracy where none exists. Which actually is a conspiracy, but you get to pretend it isn't and I'm crazy and you're honest.

Now, a conspiracy theorist would definitely think, when they see something like this, that you were indeed one of the conspirators. He might not want to take the time to try to figure out whether you are a real conspirator, or someone who just wants "loonies" to think that there is one.

As you already know, what angers an honest man about this is that you get to dis me and I will be punished, maybe banned from this board eventually, if I answer back.[/quote']

If the government lies to the people, they are engaged in a conspiracy, are they not? As such, a discussion the alleged lies, and whether or not the government is engaged in such behaviour, would reasonably be described as a thread about government conspiracies. An accurate description can hardly be termed "abuse" of the terminology.

It was not a personal attack, it was a request to move non-physics discussion off the physics board. YT has done this by splitting off the thread and moving it.

As for the rest of your diatribe, I'm at a loss for words. You're seeing stuff that just isn't there.

If the government lies to the people' date=' they are engaged in a conspiracy, are they not? As such, a discussion the alleged lies, and whether or not the government is engaged in such behaviour, would reasonably be described as a thread about government conspiracies. An accurate description can hardly be termed "abuse" of the terminology.

It was not a personal attack, it was a request to move non-physics discussion off the physics board. YT has done this by splitting off the thread and moving it.

As for the rest of your diatribe, I'm at a loss for words. You're seeing stuff that just isn't there.[/quote']

It would seem that I can hope for that stuff not to be there the way I can hope the government is telling the truth. By abuse of the terminology, I mean that you most definitely used the term "conspiracy theorist" as a put-down. I shouldn't have to spell out what's wrong with using such a put-down in such a context. Some of us are adults here.

I've seen a bit much of misdirection, labelling, pettifoggery, omission, and other tactics that don't have a lot to do with actually explaining what you are talking about.

It would seem that I can hope for that stuff not to be there the way I can hope the government is telling the truth. By abuse of the terminology' date=' I mean that you most definitely used the term "conspiracy theorist" as a put-down. I shouldn't have to spell out what's wrong with using such a put-down in such a context. Some of us are adults here.

I've seen a bit much of misdirection, labelling, pettifoggery, omission, and other tactics that don't have a lot to do with actually explaining what you are talking about.[/quote']

Wow. All I said was "How about starting a thread about government conspiracies somewhere other than in the physics section?"

I didn't call you a "conspiracy theorist" here and, as I've pointed out, my reference was entirely factual. It was not a put-down, but I can't help how you choose to (mis)interpret things, nor am I responsible for your raging paranoia.

I didn't think that it was appropriate to label the thread as a government conspiracy thread. Ask yourself how the factual statement that the government has lied before makes me a paranoid or a conspiracy theorist, especially in the way you seem to mean the terms. To try to make the discussion an honest one, I have to bring in the fact that you can't simply take the word of government experts. I have been personally attacked here for saying that you can't simply take the word of government experts. At least two of you owe me an apology for that, and if it isn't too much to ask, if you are going to talk about depleted uranium, actually talk about depleted uranium.

Of course the previous paragraph is just the delerious ravings of a paranoid madman. What else could it be?