Adult Stem Cells, Prayer and Miracle Healing

Stumblebum

Just a wild thought. Are the miraculous cures that we occasionally hear about actually a result of stem cells within the body being triggered into action because of the attitude of the afflicted? Believing that a divine power is listening to your needs, thinking that the body has the power (mind over matter) to fix itself or a combination of treatment with a positive attitude might be all it takes for the stem cells in your body to do some extraordinary repair work.

Yes. Yes it can work. I remember the time I was really drunk and fell into a woodchipper (well, I don't really *remember*, per se). I lost my right arm, and I was pretty bummed, but then I started believing in God and I grew a new arm. But I made the mistake of believing in God a little too long and I started to grow wings. But then I just believed in the Devil and the anti-stem cells ate the wings.

I believe a positive attitude can have beneficial effects on the body. It has been shown that things like pets and friends increase the life expectancy of cancer patients. In fact, there are several links between mental well-being and physical health. Believing that God is going to protect you and ensure that everything is going to work out is a tremendous relief during a time of stress and I am sure that it can have positive effects on your body.

Believing that God is going to protect you and ensure that everything is going to work out is a tremendous relief during a time of stress and I am sure that it can have positive effects on your body.

Actually, I vaguely recall hearing that a proper study found that strong religious convictions *reduced* survirorship in such illnesses, because the person had an external locus of control (thinking that help must come from outside rather than inside).

Mokele

• 2 weeks later...

That would work if the adult stem-cell exists.

You cant use it for, eg, regenerating neurons, because adults dont have any stem-cells that can become nurons.

The only way to do it is to have a toti-potent stem-cell (ie, a stem-cell that can become any cell), and the only place to get toti-potent stem-cells from is embryos.