using irda

H2SO4

I bought a latop with an irda port, but cant figuer out how to use it. I enabled it in setup. I installed the driver. My friend brought over his psp and it was communicating alittle, but i cant figuer out how to do anything with the port (i.e. transfer files)

Id imagine when a devic is communicating with my irda port, some software would pop up asking me what to do.

I am unning xp if that helps.

Usually it's automatic. It detects another computer in the area and fires off its software, asking you if you want to transfer files via the wizard. Typically you just get the computers close together and point their infrared points directly at one another.

Bear in mind that it's a purely line-of-sight operation. They have to be very close together (sometimes within an inch or less, in bright room lighting conditions) and pointed directly at one another in order to work.

It's very finicky.

the problem is that when we attempt to link the psp to my computer, nothing happens at all on my computer, and the psp shows a bunch of scrolling codes, and ocassionaly syas my computers name.

Just curios, why use infrared?

Whats so special about this light? Why is it used for data transfer, remote controls and other things? Couldnt you use any kind of light, i.e green? or red, or blue, or yellow, orange......

Is infrared light less abundant in our suroundings? Does it's use for these apllications have to do with the wavelength that makes it sutible?

Well, if you used normal light then the receiver would pick up all sorts of junk from your surrounding area (we're being bombarded by light all the time, after all). That's about the only advantage I can think of at the moment.

no, infrared is light. Its wavelength is just beyond what our eyes an see.

But alot of the time it is the radiation type that is commanly described as heat (you know the 3 types of heat transpher, radiation, convection and conduction)