Why do humans generally like people who are most like them or those they would like to become more like?

Doctor_Who

!

Moderator Note

The rules require you to present the topic for discussion here, not just link to a video.

You could start by presenting some evidence that "humans generally like people who are most like them or those they would like to become more like"

Hi. I've only recently discovered the topic after watching the video. I am really interested in finding out why we are attracted to people who are most like us or people who we would like to be. This has profound implications for people in our social network, whether we are successful in a job interview and even who we end up marrying. That's why I posted the question to seek more information regarding the topic which I have only just bumped into from watching that video. The video doesn't really explain a lot and was keen to find out whether science explains anything of the things that Tony Robbins is saying.

Are you able to unremove the link?

43 minutes ago, Doctor_Who said:

I am really interested in finding out why we are attracted to people who are most like us or people who we would like to be.

Why do you think this is true?

If, for example, I asked why are spaceships made of bananas and cat fur, it would be helpful to first confirm the claim is valid before we spend time thinking of reasons. The same is true with your question.

If it is true, then familiarity likely aids in understanding and comfort level. It likely makes us feel more secure. For role models and people we’d like to be, that is probably more about self interest and a desire to learn how they are the way they are so we can try replicating their behavior.

But first, let’s confirm your core claim is true and look for counter examples where we aren’t attracted to these types of people. With that established as fact we can pursue explanations. 

2 hours ago, iNow said:

But first, let’s confirm your core claim is true and look for counter examples where we aren’t attracted to these types of people. With that established as fact we can pursue explanations. 

Here is one counterexample: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_histocompatibility_complex_and_sexual_selection

Animals (including humans) appear to prefer mates who differ in  the major histocompatibility complex (and there are fairly obvious evolutionary reasons for this).