Which Java IDE do you prefer?

Pangloss

Just curious which Java IDE you folks like best. I've been using NetBeans, recently upgrading from 3.6 to 4.1, but I'm not a Java expert at all. I've also played around with JBuilder and Eclipse. I like the GUI-building features in JBuilder, but I kinda prefer the NetBeans environment in general. But I'm curious what other folks think.

It looks pretty good, even simpler than Gel.

I've seen the program description and related etc from the official site.

I would aslo recommand drjava, despite I have'nt used it.

how about the performance? It is java-based, and it probably needs JVM, and maybe it is slow?

BlueJ is good, not sure if it's free or not, I think it is.

Got to agree, its really quite cool :). I think it's free, made by a few universities in collaboration for teaching Java on their courses and at other universities etc I think.

The BlueJ environment was developed as part of a university research project about teaching object-orientation to beginners. The system is being developed and maintained by a joint research group at Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia, and the University of Kent in Canterbury, UK. The project is supported by Sun Microsystems.

http://www.bluej.org/about/what.html

Wow, I'm a little surprised at all these new names. I was expecting to hear nothing but "JBuilder" and/or "Eclipse".

Are these really full-featured IDEs that you guys are naming? I'm afraid that I've become very accustomed (pampered?) by Intellisense in the Visual Studio IDE, which NetBeans has as well, so I feel at home with that (for example).

(ScITE, for example, just looks like a text editor with keyword highlighting, unless I'm misunderstanding something. I've got that with TextPad, and it's great, but I've done the work-directly-with-the-SDK thing and I think I'd rather work in a real IDE. Yeah, I know, I'm spoiled.)

ScITE isn't an IDE as such, but it does have some advantages over things like TextPad. For one, it's free. Another, it's easy to modify to get just how you want it. I don't know about Java, but it does have a list of function names/parameters/descriptions for the in-build PHP4 functions (a la Visual Studio). It also has an output pane that links into a compiler, but I'm not sure exactly how that works.

It's a fairly simple, extremely customisable editor. Probably not what you're looking for to be honest, but I thought I should suggest it, just in case :)

Alas, I've already paid for TextPad. I guess it was worth it, since I was able to load up a nice assistant for when I took a VRML class last year. (grin) (Like I'm ever going to use VRML!) But I do appreciate the suggestion.