Looking for some advanced Java learning suggestions

Pangloss

Hey guys, I'm trying to take my Java programming knowledge to a higher level. I'm up to speed in the basics of writing simple programs in Java, and I'm currently using NetBeans 4.1 and the 1.5 (5.0) SDK and JRE. I can write simple (console-based) applets for school projects, and I've run through the simple tutorials on how to (for example) build an consume a simple web service, set up a basic web application, and construct a simple GUI for a standalone app.

What I'm kinda hoping for is a more advanced book or web site that kinda starts at this point and kicks me off in the direction of more advanced application programming in Java. Ideally the book or site would be aimed at someone who's worked at that level in ASP.NET and VB.NET.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I can grab books from Amazon, but it's always nice to get suggestions before spending money. Thanks. :)

(I'm checking with other resources as well, so don't feel bad if you don't have any suggestions.)