Was This Atom Entanglement Research Discontinued?

forex10

Hello,

I did not find any follow up on the research being carried out in this article. This seems like it would be a huge break through with quantum entanglement. There could be several reasons these experiments did not continue, such as diverting funds to other areas of research. Hopefully some one knows something because I would like to find out more about this research.

JoeL

https://www.livescience.com/50280-record-3000-atoms-entangled.html

Quantum Record! 3,000 Atoms Entangled in Bizarre State

By Charles Q. Choi March 27, 2015

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
an illustration showing a large number of atoms (purple) mutually entangled with one another.
Scientists have entangled a record 3,000 atoms. Here, an illustration showing a large number of atoms (purple) mutually entangled with one another.
(Image: © Christine Daniloff/MIT and Jose-Luis Olivares/MIT)

Using a single particle of light, scientists have for the first time linked together thousands of atoms in a bizarre state known as quantum entanglement, where the behavior of the atoms would stay connected even if they were at opposite ends of the universe.

This finding, the largest number of particles that have ever been mutually entangled in an experiment, could lead to more precise atomic clocks, potentially helping to improve GPS researchers say.

The behavior of all the known particles can be explained using quantum physics. A key feature of quantum physics is that the world becomes a fuzzy, surreal place at its very smallest levels. For instance, atoms and other fundamental building blocks of the universe actually exist in states of flux known as "superpositions," meaning they can seemingly be located in two or more places at once. [5 of the Most Precise Clocks Ever Made]

One consequence of quantum physics is quantum entanglement, wherein multiple particles can essentially influence each other simultaneously regardless of distance. Einstein dismissed this seemingly impossible connection as "spooky action at a distance," but numerous experiments have proven quantum entanglement is real, and it may serve as the foundation of advanced future technologies, such as incredibly powerful quantum computers and nigh-unhackable quantum encryption.

Vuletić and his colleaguesdetailed their findings in the March 26 issue of the journal Nature.

Follow Live Science @livescience, Facebook & Google+. Original article on Live Science.

MORE ABOUT...

!

Moderator Note

I have cropped your article and added a link, to comply with copyright rules

The article has 94 citations, so others are using this work in doing other research. Also, you could check to see if the authors have web pages describing their research efforts.

• 1 month later...

Apparently as you can determine from the article I have posted (below), this research has continued, with good progress being made. While encryption is an important innovation, I believe it does not even scratch the surface as to what can be done with large scale entanglement. I do not quite understand how making a measurement results in an entanglement, but if I could visit the research lab & observe first hand these experiments I would have a better understanding. However I do not think this is a good time to go to China. 😷

Also I have tried to post this article in a way which will hopefully not violate copyright rules.

JoeL

Chinese researchers smash the record for realising two entangled quantum memories at maximum distance

Quantum entanglement can be used to create encrypted communications channels that are secured against hacking

https://www.computing.co.uk/news/4010786/quantum-memories-maximum-distance