Can I use this comp as a file transfer server?

Edward

Simple question I have a:

PII 233

160 MB ram

4 MB Diamond Stealth 2 S220 Vid card

3 GB HD

120 GB HD

24X CD Reader

3.5 Inch Floppy

Because of the video card I cant run win xp unless I'm really lucky.

So can I set up this computer so that I can acces files on the HD using IE as a FTP client?

To mod I'm sorry this is in the wrong setion it belongs in Computer Help.

You certainly can. I have a machine downstairs with a similar specification. I have it running a webserver, FTP server, ntp server and various other things as well as being a router for my internet connection. I seriously suggest that you consider installing some version of Linux to do this, since for this kind of application it's ideal and far superior to Windows.

Linux unlike certain operating systems will run quite happilly with no monitor attached doing everything over ssh :s

And yeah I second dave's advice as to this, I run a pIII 500 as a testing webserver, and file server, and my brother uses it every day to download backups from production webservers...

Yup, sounds like a perfect opportunity for a Linux file server.

You could add an 8gb DVD burner for about $40. Backup your local workstations to the server and then outload to DVD for offline storage in case the HDs fail.

Since there hasn't been much in the way of postings, you might want to try something like Debian for installing the system if you've not had much experience with Linux before. I'm reticent to suggest Gentoo because (a) it requires a certain amount of experience and (b) it takes a long time to compile everything.

Why do you like Debian for this, Dave?

I'm afraid I don't have any Linux experience outside of Red Hat, Mandrake and a couple of the turnkey router solutions like IPCop, so I'm often curious why you guys suggest specific distros for certain cases. :)

Why do you like Debian for this' date=' Dave?

I'm afraid I don't have any Linux experience outside of Red Hat, Mandrake and a couple of the turnkey router solutions like IPCop, so I'm often curious why you guys suggest specific distros for certain cases. :)[/quote']

Because it's dead easy, really. Installation of Debian is pretty easy and apt-get is simple to use. Then again, I've had quite a lot of experience installing Linux and getting it set up, so I might be overstating myself ;)

OK so where can I get a tutorial for this? Installing Linux. Installing a FTP host and then configuring. I have never used anything but windows.

There seems to be quite a nice tutorial here. Haven't really checked it out, but perhaps some other board members would like to input.