Computer science

Nice guy

So what do you want know?

11 hours ago, Nice guy said:

can any in the house give me idea of what this means. Design and development of an expert system that teaches figure of speech

Design and development: define how the program will work, then write and debug it

An expert system: a program that uses a large volume of data to help make decisions

To teach: to instruct someone

Figure of speech: idioms, phrases or sayings.

(The bit that is not clear to me is who this system is meant to teach. And how an expert system would help.)

53 minutes ago, Nice guy said:

Thanks for the reply. Actually it is a topic given to me to do by my lecturer. I will appreciate it if you can assist me further. 

What assistance are you looking for?

You asked what the phrase means, but didn't say which part(s) you don't understand.

Can you be clearer about what you are asking.

He has to make computer application, which can learn (i.e. put records to database) phrases, and then retrieving them on demand from database. That is how I understand sentence "Design and development* of an expert system that teaches figure of speech"..

*) shouldn't be here "develop"?

"Teaching" might be in form of quiz. i.e. application is showing randomly picked up from database phrase, gives couple wrong answers and one correct, and asks user to select one of options. If correct answer is picked, score is increased, if wrong answer is picked, the correct one is highlighted (so user will learn which is correct for future). Scores are put to high-score table to see improvements over time.

If I am right about your assignment, then such app could have following options:

1) add new entry to database

2) remove existing entry from database

3) edit existing entry in database

4) retrieve entry from database (a) randomly b) by entering keyword)

5) quiz for user to check knowledge

6) show high-scores

Edited by Sensei

27 minutes ago, Sensei said:

*) shouldn't be here "develop"

That would make it into a full sentence, so you may be right.

27 minutes ago, Sensei said:

"Teaching" might be in form of quiz. i.e. application is showing randomly picked up from database phrase, gives couple wrong answers and one correct, and asks user to select one of options. If correct answer is picked, score is increased, if wrong answer is picked, the correct one is highlighted (so user will learn which is correct for future). Scores are put to high-score table to see improvements over time.

A plausible idea. Hardly sounds like an "expert system" though.