trying to learn more about hexagonal Boron Nitride

ALine

Hey, I have a project in my microelectronics class and trying to do research and learn more about 

h-BN. Are there any open source resources that I can get a full understanding of its properties?

Thank you for the assist.

Wiki has a good roundup of the properties that have  been known for a long time such as its hardness and lubricating abilities.

But it sounds like you are interested in electronic uses?

It's possible uses as a semiconductor are still being studied

https://www.nature.com/articles/nphoton.2015.277

(Wiki give the bandgap values)

Does this help as a start?

Yes this is a great start, thank you. I've gone through the wiki and have found a few values. However, in regards to Bandgap I need to state whether it is either a direct or indirect Bandgap and when looking into it I found that there is a sort of controversy about it. Is this true? Also I cannot seem to find it's resistivity and conductivity values. 

Thank you again!

Edit: If I am asking for to much please inform me. I want help, however I would like to also kind of go into it and not be given answers. I need to start holding myself accountable for my laziness in regards to learning.

Edited by ALine

1 hour ago, ALine said:

Yes this is a great start, thank you. I've gone through the wiki and have found a few values. However, in regards to Bandgap I need to state whether it is either a direct or indirect Bandgap and when looking into it I found that there is a sort of controversy about it. Is this true? Also I cannot seem to find it's resistivity and conductivity values. 

Thank you again!

Edit: If I am asking for to much please inform me. I want help, however I would like to also kind of go into it and not be given answers. I need to start holding myself accountable for my laziness in regards to learning.

My tables don't give me anything for Boron Nitride, so you will have to trawl throug very modern articles.

Good search terms are Fermi Levels of Boron Nitride

https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=hp&ei=727lXYrWJoikUoC6uogO&q=Fermi+levels+in+Biron+Nitride&oq=Fermi+levels+in+Biron+Nitride&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i10i160.1000.8308..8706...0.0..0.972.9484.9j5j1j3j4j3j4......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i131j0j0i10j33i160j33i21.w5c8iCB1P4s&ved=0ahUKEwjKiYCA4pfmAhUIkhQKHQCdDuEQ4dUDCAc&uact=5

Band structure of Boron Nitride

https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=42_lXcK2MPeE1fAP9ciUmAE&q=band+structure+of+boron+nitride&oq=band+structure+of+boron+nitride&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i8i30.52984.55868..57892...0.2..0.170.1562.14j3......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i7i30j0i13j0i7i10i30j0i8i7i30j0i8i7i10i30j0i7i5i30j0i30j0i5i30.2iHT0ogxWLw&ved=0ahUKEwiCtLb04pfmAhV3QhUIHXUkBRMQ4dUDCAo&uact=5

Can you see where I'm going with this?

try also doping B N

https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=rG_lXfnPBN-U1fAP0_aNiAE&q=doping+boron+nitride&oq=doping+boron+nitride&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i7i30j0i30j0i7i5i30l2j0i5i30j0i7i5i30.51262.52462..53248...0.2..0.170.594.5j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i8i7i30j0i13i5i30j0i13i30.NW-OVvtnlHA&ved=0ahUKEwj51e3Z4pfmAhVfShUIHVN7AxEQ4dUDCAo&uact=5

Perhaps also carrier mobility in B N

Edited by studiot

• 1 month later...

13 minutes ago, studiot said:

'A's are what we like.

ye, however I feel like I could have learned more about it, yet I have this conscious block which I have developed over the years to be adverse to learning. Possibly due to me needing to sit down and learn the things vs. putting stuff together. However I do not think that this is the right thread to be talking about personal adherences to certain ideals. 

But again thank you sooooo much for the assistance. You guys on here are amazing, thank you for spending time points to help me and others with their problems and ideas.

Edited by ALine
there vs their error

1 hour ago, ALine said:

ye, however I feel like I could have learned more about it, yet I have this conscious block which I have developed over the years to be adverse to learning. Possibly due to me needing to sit down and learn the things vs. putting stuff together. However I do not think that this is the right thread to be talking about personal adherences to certain ideals. 

But again thank you sooooo much for the assistance. You guys on here are amazing, thank you for spending time points to help me and others with their problems and ideas.

If you know stuff you can do stuff but if you understand stuff you can make new stuff; you can play around with the knowledge in meaningful ways when you understand it.  That's where insights come from.                       

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

If you know stuff you can do stuff but if you understand stuff you can make new stuff; you can play around with the knowledge in meaningful ways when you understand it.  That's where insights come from.

thank you, I will take it to heart.